read-only 'net use' commands - Windows NT

This is a discussion on read-only 'net use' commands - Windows NT ; I'm tasked with creating a web-page that lists user's files that haven't been accessed in the past 180 days. The specs call for two links for each file, one to allow the user to view the file without changing the ...

  1. read-only 'net use' commands

    I'm tasked with creating a web-page that lists user's files that
    haven't been accessed in the past 180 days. The specs call for two
    links for each file, one to allow the user to view the file without
    changing the last-accessed date and one to delete the file.

    My bright idea is to have the web-server access the user shares two
    ways, one r/o (for viewing), the other r/w (for deleting). Is there
    any way to do a 'net use' and force r/o access? Or should I share the
    drives with two different user/passwords and mount once for each? Or
    is there a better approach that I've completly missed?

    Thanks for the assistance!

  2. Re: read-only 'net use' commands

    On 27 Jan 2004 10:29:09 -0800, dejanews@email.com (Sam Denton) wrote:

    >I'm tasked with creating a web-page that lists user's files that
    >haven't been accessed in the past 180 days. The specs call for two
    >links for each file, one to allow the user to view the file without
    >changing the last-accessed date and one to delete the file.
    >
    >My bright idea is to have the web-server access the user shares two
    >ways, one r/o (for viewing), the other r/w (for deleting). Is there
    >any way to do a 'net use' and force r/o access? Or should I share the
    >drives with two different user/passwords and mount once for each? Or
    >is there a better approach that I've completly missed?
    >
    >Thanks for the assistance!

    I'm not sure if I would let the web server touch the file system
    directly to be honest. Why not run a nightly script to see which files
    are past N days old. If they are then they go into a list somewhere.
    The webserver then allows the user to mark their files in the list, as
    you suggest above. A nightly script then runs that deletes the marked
    files from the file system.

    Naturally, restrict rights as much as possible and ensure your scripts
    work on the assumption that the data in the list is invalid unless
    proven otherwise by sanity checks.

  3. Re: read-only 'net use' commands

    Sam Denton wrote...

    >I'm tasked with creating a web-page that lists user's files that
    >haven't been accessed in the past 180 days. The specs call for two
    >links for each file, one to allow the user to view the file without
    >changing the last-accessed date and one to delete the file.
    >
    >My bright idea is to have the web-server access the user shares two
    >ways, one r/o (for viewing), the other r/w (for deleting). Is there
    >any way to do a 'net use' and force r/o access? Or should I share the
    >drives with two different user/passwords and mount once for each? Or
    >is there a better approach that I've completly missed?

    The majority of web pages allow users to read (view) files.

    One way to allow web read / write / delete is web-dav.
    Search for web-dav for more info.

+ Reply to Thread