Windows2000 Disk Space on C: Drive - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows2000 Disk Space on C: Drive - Windows NT ; Hi, I have Windows2000 Professional on my system. The C: drive is about 10GB. I gave that much room so I would not run out of space. There are some suites that have been installed that take up some disk ...

  1. Windows2000 Disk Space on C: Drive

    Hi,

    I have Windows2000 Professional on my system. The C: drive is about 10GB.
    I gave that much room so I would not run out of space. There are some
    suites that have been installed that take up some disk space. For example,
    I have OfficeXP, Lotus Office, Visio etc. There are a couple more that are
    as big as Visio which I hardly use.

    Apart from these heavy duty apps, I have a few smaller applications such as
    Webshots, ICQ, FTP client, Media applications etc.

    Now, the disk space that is occupied is about 5.52 GB. :-( What is taking
    up this disk space? I have deleted some applications like OpenOffice,
    Lotus Notes etc. Yet it is only making a small dent when it is reclaiming
    the disk space. All the applications data is being stored on D: or E:
    drives.

    The only other thing left is Windows updates. I do very frequently do
    Windows updates. Are these Windows update files being saved on the disk
    after they have been applied? If yes, where would they be located?
    Where and what should I look for, to reclaim junk file space?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    BT

  2. Re: Windows2000 Disk Space on C: Drive

    In article ,
    noname@nowhere.net says...
    > I have Windows2000 Professional on my system. The C: drive is about 10GB.
    > I gave that much room so I would not run out of space. There are some
    > suites that have been installed that take up some disk space. For example,
    > I have OfficeXP, Lotus Office, Visio etc. There are a couple more that are
    > as big as Visio which I hardly use.
    >
    > Apart from these heavy duty apps, I have a few smaller applications such as
    > Webshots, ICQ, FTP client, Media applications etc.
    >
    > Now, the disk space that is occupied is about 5.52 GB. :-( What is taking
    > up this disk space? I have deleted some applications like OpenOffice,
    > Lotus Notes etc. Yet it is only making a small dent when it is reclaiming
    > the disk space. All the applications data is being stored on D: or E:
    > drives.
    >
    > The only other thing left is Windows updates. I do very frequently do
    > Windows updates. Are these Windows update files being saved on the disk
    > after they have been applied? If yes, where would they be located?
    > Where and what should I look for, to reclaim junk file space?

    5.5 used on 10G? Why are you worried? You have tons of space to go,
    especially as you are storing data elsewhere. If you want, turn on
    compression if you are formatted NTFS and you will gain even more. Our
    server at work has only 256M free on it's C:, and I don't worry.

    Otherwise, check the obvious.

    Empty your recycle bin.

    Check the size of your browser cache's, and if you want, change their
    location to another drive/partition.

    Check your temp directory (most commonly \Documents and Settings\username
    \Local Settings\Temp) and clean it out. [I just remembered to check mine,
    and found several megabytes of leftover stuff from installs and who knows
    what else, and that is just over 2-3 weeks!!]

    Windows update files are usually stored on your highest local drive
    letter, but are deleted on a successful install.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

+ Reply to Thread