Tape Backup & Media Pools - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Tape Backup & Media Pools - Windows NT ; Hi folks, I am setting up a nightly backup on a Windows Server 2003 and having a small problem with ntbackup. I have specified /p "4mm DDS" to use the tape drive, but it wants to draw from a Media ...

  1. Tape Backup & Media Pools

    Hi folks,
    I am setting up a nightly backup on a Windows Server 2003 and having a
    small problem with ntbackup. I have specified /p "4mm DDS" to use the
    tape drive, but it wants to draw from a Media Pool. It won't make use of
    an unused tape. I read through the documentation but it seems aimed
    three levels higher than I want to be.

    Can I tell ntbackup to just use the tape (whatever tape) is in the drive,
    and if so, how? Or, if I have to set up a Media Pool, do I use the
    Backup Wizard (or some other tool) to identify these tapes. (I'm
    planning a six-tape system for weekday backups.)

    There is lots of technical documentation on how to set up a Media Pool,
    but nothing about why, or any practical examples.

    Soem help in filling in the gaps would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA,
    Dan

    NB: I do not use this account for email. If you wish to reply by email,
    please send it to dan dot beaton at sympatico dot ca.

  2. Re: Tape Backup & Media Pools

    Hello again,
    Through luck and perserverance, I managed to find a Windows 2000 server
    MS Knowledge Base article on the subject. I am trying out the script
    tonight.

    The article makes reference to a /um switch for ntbackup that puts
    it into 'unmanaged' mode, so that it writes to whatever tape is in
    the drive. However, the Windows server 2003 documentation makes no
    reference to this switch. I hope it works!

    Dan

    Dan Beaton (ag564@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
    > Hi folks,
    > I am setting up a nightly backup on a Windows Server 2003 and having a
    > small problem with ntbackup. I have specified /p "4mm DDS" to use the
    > tape drive, but it wants to draw from a Media Pool. It won't make use of
    > an unused tape. I read through the documentation but it seems aimed
    > three levels higher than I want to be.
    >
    > Can I tell ntbackup to just use the tape (whatever tape) is in the drive,
    > and if so, how? Or, if I have to set up a Media Pool, do I use the
    > Backup Wizard (or some other tool) to identify these tapes. (I'm
    > planning a six-tape system for weekday backups.)
    >
    > There is lots of technical documentation on how to set up a Media Pool,
    > but nothing about why, or any practical examples.
    >
    > Soem help in filling in the gaps would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Dan
    >
    > NB: I do not use this account for email. If you wish to reply by email,
    > please send it to dan dot beaton at sympatico dot ca.

  3. Re: Tape Backup & Media Pools

    Someone asked me privately about the MS KB article. Here is the info:

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 239892
    How to Schedule Unattended Backups Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

    The first test using the unmanaged method appears to have worked fine.
    Dan

    Dan Beaton (ag564@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
    > Hello again,
    > Through luck and perserverance, I managed to find a Windows 2000 server
    > MS Knowledge Base article on the subject. I am trying out the script
    > tonight.
    >
    > The article makes reference to a /um switch for ntbackup that puts
    > it into 'unmanaged' mode, so that it writes to whatever tape is in
    > the drive. However, the Windows server 2003 documentation makes no
    > reference to this switch. I hope it works!
    >
    > Dan
    >

    > Dan Beaton (ag564@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
    >> Hi folks,
    >> I am setting up a nightly backup on a Windows Server 2003 and having a
    >> small problem with ntbackup. I have specified /p "4mm DDS" to use the
    >> tape drive, but it wants to draw from a Media Pool. It won't make use of
    >> an unused tape. I read through the documentation but it seems aimed
    >> three levels higher than I want to be.
    >>
    >> Can I tell ntbackup to just use the tape (whatever tape) is in the drive,
    >> and if so, how? Or, if I have to set up a Media Pool, do I use the
    >> Backup Wizard (or some other tool) to identify these tapes. (I'm
    >> planning a six-tape system for weekday backups.)
    >>
    >> There is lots of technical documentation on how to set up a Media Pool,
    >> but nothing about why, or any practical examples.
    >>
    >> Soem help in filling in the gaps would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Dan
    >>
    >> NB: I do not use this account for email. If you wish to reply by email,
    >> please send it to dan dot beaton at sympatico dot ca.

+ Reply to Thread