Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K - Windows NT ; I am having some difficulty getting Win2K to recognize a new disk drive I installed. It is a second drive being put onto an existing server. it is an IDE drive as is the other one. i have set it ...

  1. Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K

    I am having some difficulty getting Win2K to recognize a new disk drive
    I installed. It is a second drive being put onto an existing server. it
    is an IDE drive as is the other one. i have set it up in many ways and i
    still get the same symptom. It shows up on the hardware device list on
    the device manager, but when i got to file manager i do not see it. on
    device manager it shows up as working properly, running with the correct
    drivers, etc. but it does not show up in file manager or on the "my
    computer" icon's list of devices where my other hard drive and cd drives
    are.

    i have added a second drive to Windows 98 before and it just shows up as
    another drive letter. however i have never added a second drive to
    win2k. is there another step needed?

    i have configured it in multiple ways - as a slave on the same ide cable
    as the other drive, as cable-select on the same ide cable as the other
    drive, and on its own ide cable set up as cable select.

    am i missing something?

    thanks for your help.

  2. Re: Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K

    jeff wrote...

    >I am having some difficulty getting Win2K to recognize a new disk drive
    >I installed. It is a second drive being put onto an existing server. it
    >is an IDE drive as is the other one. i have set it up in many ways and i
    >still get the same symptom. It shows up on the hardware device list on
    >the device manager, but when i got to file manager i do not see it. on
    >device manager it shows up as working properly, running with the correct
    >drivers, etc. but it does not show up in file manager or on the "my
    >computer" icon's list of devices where my other hard drive and cd drives
    >are.

    Is the drive formated?

    Do you have PowerQuest Partition Magic (PM)?
    If you run PM, what is the status of this drive?

  3. Re: Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K

    Harry wrote:
    > jeff wrote...
    >
    >>I am having some difficulty getting Win2K to recognize a new disk drive
    >>I installed. It is a second drive being put onto an existing server. it
    >>is an IDE drive as is the other one. i have set it up in many ways and i
    >>still get the same symptom. It shows up on the hardware device list on
    >>the device manager, but when i got to file manager i do not see it. on
    >>device manager it shows up as working properly, running with the correct
    >>drivers, etc. but it does not show up in file manager or on the "my
    >>computer" icon's list of devices where my other hard drive and cd drives
    >>are.

    > Is the drive formated?
    >
    > Do you have PowerQuest Partition Magic (PM)?
    > If you run PM, what is the status of this drive?

    Thanks, no it is not formatted, best i can tell. If it doesn't show up
    on my file manager, how do I format it? Go out to the command prompt?
    How do i tell what drive letter it is? then just use the format f:
    command? any params to think about?

    I do not have the partition software. What does it do? Do I need to
    install the second drive?

    I know this is really newbie but, well, installing a 2nd drive on win2k
    is new to me

    thanks for your help

  4. Re: Basic INstallation Question for 2nd Harddrive on Win2K

    jeff wrote in
    news:RSTOb.1855$BA2.958@newssvr26.news.prodigy.com :

    > Thanks, no it is not formatted, best i can tell. If it doesn't show up
    > on my file manager, how do I format it? Go out to the command prompt?
    > How do i tell what drive letter it is? then just use the format f:
    > command? any params to think about?

    Right-click on My Computer and pick Manage. Under Storage, pick Disk
    Management. You should see your new disk here as unpartitioned. Right-
    click on the drive for partitioning options, then again for formatting
    options and drive letter assignment.

+ Reply to Thread