Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)? - Windows NT ; I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit org. and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical or will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - ...

  1. Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit org.
    and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical or
    will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)

    Thanks very much!
    --
    Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to

  2. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    Jim: I agree with you completely. Moreover, I doubt that W2K will install
    properly on this box. You can download a w2k compatiblity checker that
    will run on your current OS on that box. It should tell you the incompatibilities.
    See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ng/default.asp
    and possibly:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...at/default.asp

    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 8 Jan 2004 00:49:19 -0700, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    -|I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit org.
    -|and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical or
    -|will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    -|RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    -|128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    -|experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    -|486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    -|trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)
    -|
    -|Thanks very much!

    Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
    (a computing professional for 38 years)
    Email: SkipKnobleLESS@SPAMpsu.edu
    Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
    Penn State Information Technology Services
    Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
    Graduate Education and Research Services
    Penn State University
    214C Computer Building
    University Park, PA 16802-21013
    Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049

  3. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    [This followup was posted to comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc and a copy was
    sent to the cited author.]

    In article ,
    jtc@shell.dimensional.com says...
    > I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit org.
    > and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical or
    > will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    > RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    > 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    > experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    > 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    > trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)

    Don't waste your time if it's less than 128M, or is a 486. You can
    install a very basic Win2K with 64M, but won't have much memory left to
    run anything well. You'll get tons of memory paging to the disk. And a
    computer that old will also have a slow, small drive.

    I used to run Win2K on a P233 with 128M. Generally, it seemed no slower
    than NT or 98.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  4. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    "Jim Cochrane" wrote in message
    > I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit

    org.
    > and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical

    or
    > will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    > RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    > 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    > experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually

    > 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    > trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)

    it will not work on a 486...but a P-1 is possible .

    you will need at least a 200mhz machine with about 196 megs of RAM or more

    any less and you should use win9x or NT4

  5. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    "Jim Cochrane" avait écrit le 08/01/2004 :
    > I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit
    > org. and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical
    > or will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    > RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    > 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    > experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    > 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    > trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)
    >
    > Thanks very much!

    If I were you, I wouldn't even think about putting Win2000 on anything
    less than a PII 300 w/ 128 Mo of RAM. Anything less and you'll have a
    very sluggish system. Microsoft indicates on its website that the
    minimal requirements are a Pentium 133 and 128 Mo of RAM, but their
    minimal requirements are usually very optimistic.
    With Pentium I or 486 machines, your best bet is probably to use Win95
    or 98, though they are no longer supported by MS, or to look at a light
    distribution of Linux, depending on what your application requirements
    are.

    Jeremy Gibbons

  6. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    Le 08/01/2004, "Jim Cochrane" a supposé :
    > I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit
    > org. and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical
    > or will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    > RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    > 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    > experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    > 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    > trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)
    >
    > Thanks very much!

    MS says that the minimum system requirements for W2K are a Pentium 133
    and 64 MB RAM. Unfortunately for you, MS' minimum requirements are
    often wildly optimistic : W2K will install, sure, but you'll be hard
    pressed to do much more than open notepad. Another thing to bear in
    mind is that these machines usually have hard drives from the Win3.1 or
    Win95 era, when the 150 MB of space required for Win95 was huge : A
    basic install of W2K takes around 1.5 GB of space : do you have that
    available ?
    Conclusion : if you have P I boxes, it may be marginally doable, but I
    would stick to Win95 (or maybe 98) on machines that old, or even a
    light Linux distribution, if that can fit your application and
    maintenance requirements. If they're 486 boxes, don't even think about
    W2K. Even Win95 will probably feel sluggish.

    Hope that helps a little,

    Jeremy Gibbons

  7. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    In article , Jeremy Gibbons wrote:
    > Le 08/01/2004, "Jim Cochrane" a supposé :
    >> I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit
    >> org. and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical
    >> or will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    >> RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    >> 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    >> experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    >> 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    >> trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)
    >>
    >> Thanks very much!

    > MS says that the minimum system requirements for W2K are a Pentium 133
    > and 64 MB RAM. Unfortunately for you, MS' minimum requirements are
    > often wildly optimistic : W2K will install, sure, but you'll be hard
    > pressed to do much more than open notepad. Another thing to bear in
    > mind is that these machines usually have hard drives from the Win3.1 or
    > Win95 era, when the 150 MB of space required for Win95 was huge : A
    > basic install of W2K takes around 1.5 GB of space : do you have that
    > available ?
    > Conclusion : if you have P I boxes, it may be marginally doable, but I
    > would stick to Win95 (or maybe 98) on machines that old, or even a
    > light Linux distribution, if that can fit your application and
    > maintenance requirements. If they're 486 boxes, don't even think about
    > W2K. Even Win95 will probably feel sluggish.
    >
    > Hope that helps a little,
    >
    > Jeremy Gibbons

    Thanks, Jeremy, and everyone else who responded. I found out today that
    the machine only has 32MB of RAM. There's no way w2k will run on that.
    It looks its current OS, win95, will be adequate. (I would consider Linux
    if I were one of the users, but staying with Windows appears to be the
    right solution in this case.)
    --
    Jim Cochrane; jtc@dimensional.com
    [When responding by email, include the term non-spam in the subject line to
    get through my spam filter.]

  8. Re: Windows 2000 on a Pentium (I)?

    On 2004-01-08, Jim Cochrane wrote:

    > I've been asked to help with a PI computer system cleanup at a non-profit org.
    > and installing w2k on the system is being considered. Is this practical or
    > will the result be intolerable? I don't yet know the specs - CPU speed,
    > RAM size, etc., but I suspect that it will need at least 64 - or perhaps
    > 128 - MB to be at all workable. I'd appreciate hearing from those with
    > experience with this combination. (It's possible the machine is actually a
    > 486 rather than a PI. In that case, I think installing w2k would be like
    > trying to drive a golf cart on a freeway.)

    What do you intend to do with the machine? If the task doesn't strictly
    require Windows, you'd probably be much better off running something else
    like NetBSD.

    --

    -John (JohnThompson@new.rr.com)

+ Reply to Thread