Account permissions required to stop/start services - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Account permissions required to stop/start services - Windows NT ; I would like a domain user to be able to start/stop a particular service on a NT4 server. Where can I enable that? They currently get "access denied". I am trying to avoid making them an administrator....

  1. Account permissions required to stop/start services

    I would like a domain user to be able to start/stop a particular service on
    a NT4 server. Where can I enable that? They currently get "access denied".
    I am trying to avoid making them an administrator.

  2. Re: Account permissions required to stop/start services

    BG wrote...

    >I would like a domain user to be able to start/stop a particular service on
    >a NT4 server. Where can I enable that? They currently get "access denied".
    >I am trying to avoid making them an administrator.

    First, get pstools from www.sysinternals.com. It contains a utility
    psservice which can allow user to remote start / stop / restart a service.

    Second, write a C wrapper to execute the psservice, with the password
    embedded (and hence hidden) from the user.

+ Reply to Thread