Can't shutdown Win2000 thanks to telnet - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Can't shutdown Win2000 thanks to telnet - Windows NT ; I killed my 'net connexion while connected to a remote machine using telnet yesterday. Normally this is no problem. Yesterday however I was left with a DOS window with a blinking cursor in leftmost column below a "Connection to host ...

  1. Can't shutdown Win2000 thanks to telnet

    I killed my 'net connexion while connected to a remote machine using
    telnet yesterday. Normally this is no problem. Yesterday however I was
    left with a DOS window with a blinking cursor in leftmost column below
    a "Connection to host lost" msg. I can't close this window using task
    manager (where it shows up as an application but not as a process).
    Nor can I shut the machine down (because of this unkillable task I'm
    presuming). I downloaded sysinternals 'pstools' (when I could still
    connect to the 'net - can't now from that machine) and neither the
    psshutdown nor the pskill tools were any help. I'm really loathe to
    just hit the off switch as I've not had to do this before with this OS
    installation so if anyone has any good ideas I'd be real grateful!

    Cheers

    Jeremy

  2. Re: Can't shutdown Win2000 thanks to telnet

    jgm56@student.canterbury.ac.nz (Jeremy) wrote:

    >I killed my 'net connexion while connected to a remote machine using
    >telnet yesterday. Normally this is no problem. Yesterday however I was
    >left with a DOS window with a blinking cursor in leftmost column below
    >a "Connection to host lost" msg. I can't close this window using task
    >manager (where it shows up as an application but not as a process).
    >Nor can I shut the machine down (because of this unkillable task I'm
    >presuming). I downloaded sysinternals 'pstools' (when I could still
    >connect to the 'net - can't now from that machine) and neither the
    >psshutdown nor the pskill tools were any help. I'm really loathe to
    >just hit the off switch as I've not had to do this before with this OS
    >installation so if anyone has any good ideas I'd be real grateful!

    Bite the bullet and turn the mother off.
    Shouldn't hurt anything.
    When it comes up, it may go into chkdisk, but that's okay.
    As long as we have control of the power, the computers are at our mercy.
    ;-)

    -john

  3. Re: Can't shutdown Win2000 thanks to telnet

    John wrote in message news:...
    > jgm56@student.canterbury.ac.nz (Jeremy) wrote:
    >
    > >I killed my 'net connexion while connected to a remote machine using
    > >telnet yesterday. Normally this is no problem. Yesterday however I was
    > >left with a DOS window with a blinking cursor in leftmost column below
    > >a "Connection to host lost" msg. I can't close this window using task
    > >manager (where it shows up as an application but not as a process).
    > >Nor can I shut the machine down (because of this unkillable task I'm
    > >presuming). I downloaded sysinternals 'pstools' (when I could still
    > >connect to the 'net - can't now from that machine) and neither the
    > >psshutdown nor the pskill tools were any help. I'm really loathe to
    > >just hit the off switch as I've not had to do this before with this OS
    > >installation so if anyone has any good ideas I'd be real grateful!

    > Bite the bullet and turn the mother off.
    > Shouldn't hurt anything.
    > When it comes up, it may go into chkdisk, but that's okay.
    > As long as we have control of the power, the computers are at our mercy.
    > ;-)
    >
    > -john

    It's still on . I'm SURE there must be SOMETHING I can do!!!
    Wouldn't even really mind if I could dial up to the 'net (the port
    that the modem uses is open and I don't know how to close it... come
    to think of it... that deserves another post to this list!).

    Stubbornly ,

    Jeremy

+ Reply to Thread