NT Repair Troubles - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NT Repair Troubles - Windows NT ; I'm reposting this from comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc. I apologize for the double post, but this seems to be a much more trafficked group. -------------- Hi. I'm having problems repairing an existing NT installation; I'm hoping that someone here knows what I can ...

  1. NT Repair Troubles

    I'm reposting this from comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.misc. I apologize
    for the double post, but this seems to be a much more trafficked
    group.
    --------------

    Hi. I'm having problems repairing an existing NT installation; I'm
    hoping that someone here knows what I can do to fix it. Thanks in
    advance for any help. Here is the history:

    An application was being installed on an existing NT 4.0 machine. The
    install process called for a reboot, and after it rebooted, it did not
    successfully come back to NT. Instead, a blue screen came up saying
    that physical memory was being dumped, after which the machine
    essentially halted. Subsequent reboots did the same thing.

    Unfortunately, no emergency repair disk was available. So, I tried to
    repair from the installation media. Specifically, I told it to fix
    the system portion of the registry, and to validate system files.

    It was then able to reboot to NT, but whenever I tried to log on, I
    would get an error C00000DF. Some poking around on the web revealed
    that this was likely due to various files from the original NT
    installation media no longer being able to deal with the SAM/Security
    information written by newer versions of those files (i.e. from
    service pack 4 or later). So, I did what was suggested by this
    Knowledge Base article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

    Specifically, I copied the i386 directory of the installation media to
    the i386 directory of the hard drive, then renamed certain files out
    of the way (e.g. samsrv.dl_ was renamed to samsrv.org), and then
    copied the newer versions of those files from the service pack (6a,
    specifically) to the hard drive.

    One quick question before I continue: the KB article says "copy these
    same six files" from the service pack, but those same six files do not
    exist... uncompressed versions of them do (e.g. samsrv.dll instead of
    samsrv.dl_). I assume that copying the uncompressed versions to the
    hard drive's i386 is sufficient? That's what I did.

    Anyway, to continue, I then ran winnt /b from the hard drive's i386
    directory. Now, whenever I reboot, I get the following message:

    ----------
    STOP: c0000263 {Driver Entry Point Not Found}

    The \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS device driver could not
    locate the entry point MmUserProbeAddress in the driver ntoskrnl.exe.

    Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or
    the /CRASHDEBUG system start option. If this message reappears,
    contact your system administrator or technical support group.
    ----------

    I have so far been unable to find anything relating to this error in
    the KB, the web, usenet, or anywhere else. Anybody have any ideas?

    One possibility: I have a copy of the hard drive as it existed just
    after the initial crash, and just before I started mucking around on
    it (e.g. trying to repair NT). So, I'm thinking that maybe if I
    restore that copy, and then do another repair of the system portion of
    the registry but this time not tell it to validate system files, maybe
    it will work since I'll still have the correct version of the various
    dlls (such as samsrv.dll) to deal with the SAM.... Am I on the right
    track here?

    Again, thanks in advance for any help.

    Bob Vesterman.

  2. Re: NT Repair Troubles

    Robert William Vesterman wrote in message
    > It was then able to reboot to NT, but whenever I tried to log on, I
    > would get an error C00000DF. Some poking around on the web revealed
    > that this was likely due to various files from the original NT
    > installation media no longer being able to deal with the SAM/Security
    > information written by newer versions of those files (i.e. from
    > service pack 4 or later). So, I did what was suggested by this
    > Knowledge Base article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
    >
    > Specifically, I copied the i386 directory of the installation media to
    > the i386 directory of the hard drive, then renamed certain files out
    > of the way (e.g. samsrv.dl_ was renamed to samsrv.org), and then
    > copied the newer versions of those files from the service pack (6a,
    > specifically) to the hard drive.

    if you are able to copy i386, that means you are in the system now? if
    you are why don't you just install sp6a, or...i'm i missing something?

    let us know how it goes, good luck, --Lehi

  3. Re: NT Repair Troubles

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:54:10 -0500, Robert William Vesterman
    wrote:

> [...]
    >
    >Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or
    >the /CRASHDEBUG system start option. If this message reappears,
    >contact your system administrator or technical support group.
    >----------
    >
    >I have so far been unable to find anything relating to this error in
    >the KB, the web, usenet, or anywhere else. Anybody have any ideas?
    >
    >One possibility: I have a copy of the hard drive as it existed just
    >after the initial crash, and just before I started mucking around on
    >it (e.g. trying to repair NT). So, I'm thinking that maybe if I
    >restore that copy, and then do another repair of the system portion of
    >the registry but this time not tell it to validate system files, maybe
    >it will work since I'll still have the correct version of the various
    >dlls (such as samsrv.dll) to deal with the SAM.... Am I on the right

    You're doing this the hard way. All you had to do was rename those
    files under the system32 directory and replace them with uncompressed
    copies from the SP6 file.

  4. Re: NT Repair Troubles

    On 6 Nov 2003 14:45:27 -0800, lgj_nospam@yahoo.com (LGJ) wrote:

    >Robert William Vesterman wrote in message
    >> It was then able to reboot to NT, but whenever I tried to log on, I
    >> would get an error C00000DF. Some poking around on the web revealed
    >> that this was likely due to various files from the original NT
    >> installation media no longer being able to deal with the SAM/Security
    >> information written by newer versions of those files (i.e. from
    >> service pack 4 or later). So, I did what was suggested by this
    >> Knowledge Base article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
    >>
    >> Specifically, I copied the i386 directory of the installation media to
    >> the i386 directory of the hard drive, then renamed certain files out
    >> of the way (e.g. samsrv.dl_ was renamed to samsrv.org), and then
    >> copied the newer versions of those files from the service pack (6a,
    >> specifically) to the hard drive.

    >if you are able to copy i386, that means you are in the system now? if
    >you are why don't you just install sp6a, or...i'm i missing something?
    >
    >let us know how it goes, good luck, --Lehi

    I did a parallel installation, and copied i386 from the install media
    to the hard drive using that.

    Thanks,

    Bob Vesterman.

  5. Re: NT Repair Troubles

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:11:19 GMT, chris@nospam.com wrote:

    >You're doing this the hard way. All you had to do was rename those
    >files under the system32 directory and replace them with uncompressed
    >copies from the SP6 file.

    Okay, thanks. I'll remember that for the future. But that would
    still (I think) leave me where I currently am, which is:

    >>----------
    >>STOP: c0000263 {Driver Entry Point Not Found}
    >>
    >>The \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS device driver could not
    >>locate the entry point MmUserProbeAddress in the driver ntoskrnl.exe.
    >>
    >>Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or
    >>the /CRASHDEBUG system start option. If this message reappears,
    >>contact your system administrator or technical support group.

    Any ideas on that?

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread