Win2K Server: AD U&C use from workstation - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Win2K Server: AD U&C use from workstation - Windows NT ; Hola all: I have setup Win2K Server, and now want to admin it from my workstation instead of the server. When I try to run the AD Users & Computers (ADUC) Tool from my Win2k Pro workstation I get one ...

  1. Win2K Server: AD U&C use from workstation

    Hola all:

    I have setup Win2K Server, and now want to admin it from my workstation
    instead of the server.

    When I try to run the AD Users & Computers (ADUC) Tool from my Win2k Pro
    workstation I get one of several errors. I have joined and loged into my
    domain from my workstation and installed the AD toolset.

    I get:
    "The RPC server is not started"
    or
    "The server is not available..."

    I have checked both the server and workstation and both have RPC services
    running. I am a member of the Admin, domain admin, and enterprise admin
    groups.

    What am I missing? MS sight suggests that it is as easy as pulling up the
    ADUC MMC and connecting to the server. This has not been the case for me,
    and to boot, I can not find much help in the MS support section.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Scott

    ===========================
    Scott D. Davis, IT Manager
    1-800-PRO-SING, x1131
    SDavis@ProSing.com
    http://www.prosing.com
    ===========================

  2. Re: Win2K Server: AD U&C use from workstation

    "Scott D. Davis" wrote in message news:...
    > Hola all:
    >
    > I have setup Win2K Server, and now want to admin it from my workstation
    > instead of the server.
    >
    > When I try to run the AD Users & Computers (ADUC) Tool from my Win2k Pro
    > workstation I get one of several errors. I have joined and loged into my
    > domain from my workstation and installed the AD toolset.
    >
    > I get:
    > "The RPC server is not started"
    > or
    > "The server is not available..."
    >
    > I have checked both the server and workstation and both have RPC services
    > running. I am a member of the Admin, domain admin, and enterprise admin
    > groups.
    >
    > What am I missing? MS sight suggests that it is as easy as pulling up the
    > ADUC MMC and connecting to the server. This has not been the case for me,
    > and to boot, I can not find much help in the MS support section.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott
    >
    > ===========================
    > Scott D. Davis, IT Manager
    > 1-800-PRO-SING, x1131
    > SDavis@ProSing.com
    > http://www.prosing.com

    try running from a command prompt the following commands
    net start lanmanserver
    net start lanmanworkstation
    on both systems.
    this should start the server and the workstation services which are
    not the same as the RPC service.

    good luck, let us know. --Lehi

+ Reply to Thread