Windows Update and NT4 Workstation? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Windows Update and NT4 Workstation? - Windows NT ; I am currently running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. A little while ago I got burned when Windows Update offered me a security update which broke IE6, and someone said that this happened because Microsoft is no longer supporting NT4 Workstation, ...

  1. Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    I am currently running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. A little while
    ago I got burned when Windows Update offered me a security update
    which broke IE6, and someone said that this happened because
    Microsoft is no longer supporting NT4 Workstation, and thus no
    longer testing updates against it. This of course made me very
    nervous about using Windows Update (although I think I did use it
    once since then).

    But I don't want to leave my system vulnerable, and looking at the
    Critical Update that is being offered by Windows Update just now
    I see NT 4.0 mentioned explicitly in the update descriptions. I
    applied KB823182, which needed to be applied by itself, and which
    doesn't seem to have broken anything, but I lost my nerve looking
    at the bundled update package (KB824141, KB828035, KB825119,
    KB828750, and KB824146), in particular because of the complaints
    I've read here concerning the October cumulative IE update.

    So my question is this: as a user of NT 4.0 Workstation, should I
    be using the Windows Update web page at all?

    Naively I would think that if Microsoft didn't test an update
    against NT4 then it wouldn't list it for NT4 users, and we would
    just have to do without, which might be a problem with respect to
    security, but at least we wouldn't break our machines by applying
    untested updates. But is this the case? Does the fact that NT4
    Workstation is out of service mean that I can no longer trust
    anything Windows Update tells me to do? Or can I? Anyone know?
    --
    John Brock
    jbrock@panix.com

  2. Re: Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    You should update to win2k. there are a number of fixes for it and the
    amount of time you waste
    trying to patch a system that is no longer supports puts you in a dangerous
    position.

    Especially if you are concerned with security.

    JM
    "John Brock" wrote in message
    > I am currently running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. A little while
    > ago I got burned when Windows Update offered me a security update
    > which broke IE6, and someone said that this happened because
    > Microsoft is no longer supporting NT4 Workstation, and thus no
    > longer testing updates against it. This of course made me very
    > nervous about using Windows Update (although I think I did use it
    > once since then).
    >
    > But I don't want to leave my system vulnerable, and looking at the
    > Critical Update that is being offered by Windows Update just now
    > I see NT 4.0 mentioned explicitly in the update descriptions. I
    > applied KB823182, which needed to be applied by itself, and which
    > doesn't seem to have broken anything, but I lost my nerve looking
    > at the bundled update package (KB824141, KB828035, KB825119,
    > KB828750, and KB824146), in particular because of the complaints
    > I've read here concerning the October cumulative IE update.
    >
    > So my question is this: as a user of NT 4.0 Workstation, should I
    > be using the Windows Update web page at all?
    >
    > Naively I would think that if Microsoft didn't test an update
    > against NT4 then it wouldn't list it for NT4 users, and we would
    > just have to do without, which might be a problem with respect to
    > security, but at least we wouldn't break our machines by applying
    > untested updates. But is this the case? Does the fact that NT4
    > Workstation is out of service mean that I can no longer trust
    > anything Windows Update tells me to do? Or can I? Anyone know?
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

  3. Re: Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    NT4 still is supported uptill somewhere next year.
    You could use Windows update, you could also go to www.shavlik.com and get
    hfnetchk.

    Marina

    "John Brock" schreef in bericht
    > I am currently running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. A little while
    > ago I got burned when Windows Update offered me a security update
    > which broke IE6, and someone said that this happened because
    > Microsoft is no longer supporting NT4 Workstation, and thus no
    > longer testing updates against it. This of course made me very
    > nervous about using Windows Update (although I think I did use it
    > once since then).
    >
    > But I don't want to leave my system vulnerable, and looking at the
    > Critical Update that is being offered by Windows Update just now
    > I see NT 4.0 mentioned explicitly in the update descriptions. I
    > applied KB823182, which needed to be applied by itself, and which
    > doesn't seem to have broken anything, but I lost my nerve looking
    > at the bundled update package (KB824141, KB828035, KB825119,
    > KB828750, and KB824146), in particular because of the complaints
    > I've read here concerning the October cumulative IE update.
    >
    > So my question is this: as a user of NT 4.0 Workstation, should I
    > be using the Windows Update web page at all?
    >
    > Naively I would think that if Microsoft didn't test an update
    > against NT4 then it wouldn't list it for NT4 users, and we would
    > just have to do without, which might be a problem with respect to
    > security, but at least we wouldn't break our machines by applying
    > untested updates. But is this the case? Does the fact that NT4
    > Workstation is out of service mean that I can no longer trust
    > anything Windows Update tells me to do? Or can I? Anyone know?
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

  4. Re: Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    In article ,
    Marina Roos wrote:
    >NT4 still is supported uptill somewhere next year.
    >You could use Windows update, you could also go to www.shavlik.com and get
    >hfnetchk.

    Really! I could have sworn that support for NT4 ended this year.
    OK, let's go to the MS web site. By golly,
    I think you're right! Some of

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.mspx

    is not as clear as it might be (e.g., what exactly is the
    significance of the "Non-Supported phase"?), but Footnote 7
    at the bottom clearly spells out the answer to my question:

    Security hotfix support has been extended through June
    30th, 2004 for both Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a and
    Windows 2000 Professional SP2. Support for non-security
    hotfixes will not be extended, and ended as previously
    announced on June 30, 2003 for Windows NT Workstation 4.0,
    and August 18, 2003 for Windows 2000 SP2.

    So it look as though I may have been right at some point, but as
    it stands now I do have a little more time. This is good, as I am
    currently transitioning to a new machine, and while I intend to
    continue having fun with my old 486 I have no intention of ever
    trying to put Win 2000 or XP on it. :-P
    --
    John Brock
    jbrock@panix.com

  5. Re: Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    "John Brock" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    >> So it look as though I may have been right at some point, but as

    > it stands now I do have a little more time. This is good, as I am
    > currently transitioning to a new machine, and while I intend to
    > continue having fun with my old 486 I have no intention of ever
    > trying to put Win 2000 or XP on it. :-P
    > --
    > John Brock
    > jbrock@panix.com

    XP will never cross my threshold either ---
    Be like me plan for a Linux future try Knoppix 3.3 boots and entirely runs
    off CD nothing is changed on HD and if you like it it installs painlessly to
    HD on most but not all motherboards in about 15 minutes on a fast PC with
    all the apps.

  6. Re: Windows Update and NT4 Workstation?

    On 31 Oct 2003 23:25:04 -0500, jbrock@panix.com (John Brock) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Marina Roos wrote:
    >>NT4 still is supported uptill somewhere next year.
    >>You could use Windows update, you could also go to www.shavlik.com and get
    >>hfnetchk.

    >Really! I could have sworn that support for NT4 ended this year.
    >OK, let's go to the MS web site. By golly,
    >I think you're right! Some of
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.mspx
    >
    >is not as clear as it might be (e.g., what exactly is the
    >significance of the "Non-Supported phase"?), but Footnote 7
    >at the bottom clearly spells out the answer to my question:
    >
    > Security hotfix support has been extended through June
    > 30th, 2004 for both Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a and
    > Windows 2000 Professional SP2. Support for non-security
    > hotfixes will not be extended, and ended as previously
    > announced on June 30, 2003 for Windows NT Workstation 4.0,
    > and August 18, 2003 for Windows 2000 SP2.
    >
    >So it look as though I may have been right at some point, but as
    >it stands now I do have a little more time. This is good, as I am
    >currently transitioning to a new machine, and while I intend to
    >continue having fun with my old 486 I have no intention of ever
    >trying to put Win 2000 or XP on it. :-P

    Yes they extended hotfix support, but those hotfixes may not be
    available via Windows Update. Some of the recent non-critical patches
    are only available via the KB article download if at all.

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread