NO ROM BASIC Error in Win 3.1 - Windows NT

This is a discussion on NO ROM BASIC Error in Win 3.1 - Windows NT ; We have a very old system running Win 3.1. When it tries to boot, we get a "NO ROM BASIC" error. I can't for the life of me remember what that means, specifically. I believe the hard drive is bad. ...

  1. NO ROM BASIC Error in Win 3.1

    We have a very old system running Win 3.1.
    When it tries to boot, we get a "NO ROM BASIC" error.
    I can't for the life of me remember what that means, specifically.
    I believe the hard drive is bad.

    TIA

    -john

  2. Re: NO ROM BASIC Error in Win 3.1

    John wrote:

    > We have a very old system running Win 3.1.
    > When it tries to boot, we get a "NO ROM BASIC" error.
    > I can't for the life of me remember what that means, specifically.
    > I believe the hard drive is bad.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -john

    IIRC, it means that there is no bootable device attached to the computer.
    The message can occur when the flat ribbon cables are disconnected from
    both the HD and FDD. It may also mean that the CMOS battery has died
    and the setup configuration has been lost. Depending on how old is the
    system, a special bootup setup FDD might have to be used to reconfigure
    the bios setup; newer computers have a dedicated keyboard key for this
    function.

  3. Re: NO ROM BASIC Error in Win 3.1

    I've also seen this caused by the H/D not being set to Active.
    Run FDisk and set the partition to active if any of the below didn't help.

    Elk

    Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

    > John wrote:
    >
    > > We have a very old system running Win 3.1.
    > > When it tries to boot, we get a "NO ROM BASIC" error.
    > > I can't for the life of me remember what that means, specifically.
    > > I believe the hard drive is bad.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > -john

    > IIRC, it means that there is no bootable device attached to the computer.
    > The message can occur when the flat ribbon cables are disconnected from
    > both the HD and FDD. It may also mean that the CMOS battery has died
    > and the setup configuration has been lost. Depending on how old is the
    > system, a special bootup setup FDD might have to be used to reconfigure
    > the bios setup; newer computers have a dedicated keyboard key for this
    > function.

+ Reply to Thread