autorun message at every boot - Windows NT

This is a discussion on autorun message at every boot - Windows NT ; Hi all, My wife runs NT4, SP6. Originally the CD-RW was the D:\ drive. Then I formatted some extra space and that became D:\ and the CD went to E:\. Now when she boots it up she gets a dialog ...

  1. autorun message at every boot

    Hi all,

    My wife runs NT4, SP6. Originally the CD-RW was the D:\ drive. Then I
    formatted some extra space and that became D:\ and the CD went to E:\.
    Now when she boots it up she gets a dialog box telling her the system
    can't find D:\autorun.exe.

    I'm sure this has something to do with D:\ once having been a CD drive
    with a bootable CD in it, but I can't find where to tell it to stop
    looking for autorun.exe. (I haven't looked in the registry, that's a
    scary place...)

    I need a clue here.

    Regards,

    rl

  2. Re: autorun message at every boot

    On 17 Sep 2003 06:40:19 -0700, rloef@interfold.com (Reed Loefgren)
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >My wife runs NT4, SP6. Originally the CD-RW was the D:\ drive. Then I
    >formatted some extra space and that became D:\ and the CD went to E:\.
    >Now when she boots it up she gets a dialog box telling her the system
    >can't find D:\autorun.exe.
    >
    >I'm sure this has something to do with D:\ once having been a CD drive
    >with a bootable CD in it, but I can't find where to tell it to stop
    >looking for autorun.exe. (I haven't looked in the registry, that's a
    >scary place...)
    >
    >I need a clue here.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >rl

    If its not in the startup folder, try the registry. Specifically,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run.

    Or you could use disk manager (windisk) to reassign the drive letters
    if changing the CDRom drive letter broke other programs. If this is
    NT, you may need to move the new space to a new letter, reboot to free
    up D: and then assign the CD back to D:.

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread