Failing Domain - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Failing Domain - Windows NT ; We have an NT4.0 domain that has been giving our server folks a fit for the past 2 years. There are several thousand systems on this resource domain. The domain controller is a workstation with a 1Ghz processor and 512MB ...

  1. Failing Domain

    We have an NT4.0 domain that has been giving our server folks a fit for the
    past 2 years.

    There are several thousand systems on this resource domain.
    The domain controller is a workstation with a 1Ghz processor and 512MB of
    RAM.
    It has three BDC's.

    Often, when I pull up Server Manager, I get "No PDC Found ... ".
    When I check the PDC with Server Manager, I get "No Network ... ".
    However, I can ping the PDC.
    Sometimes, if I stop and then start the Netlogon service, it comes back.
    Most of the time, the PDC needs to be re-booted, it works for a while, then
    goes belly-up again after a few hours.
    It's not the hardware.
    The PDC has been replaced.
    It is on a 100Mb ethernet connection.
    The BDC's have all been promoted at one time or another, but no joy.

    Could the SAM database be corrupt?

    I just don't have enough knowledge to pusue this any further, and our
    server folks don't seem to be concerned enough about it.

    All suggestions welcome.
    Please just post your ideas.

    Thanks!

    -john

  2. Re: Failing Domain

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:11:02 -0400, John wrote:

    >We have an NT4.0 domain that has been giving our server folks a fit for the
    >past 2 years.
    >
    >There are several thousand systems on this resource domain.
    >The domain controller is a workstation with a 1Ghz processor and 512MB of
    >RAM.
    >It has three BDC's.
    >
    >Often, when I pull up Server Manager, I get "No PDC Found ... ".
    >When I check the PDC with Server Manager, I get "No Network ... ".
    >However, I can ping the PDC.
    >Sometimes, if I stop and then start the Netlogon service, it comes back.
    >Most of the time, the PDC needs to be re-booted, it works for a while, then
    >goes belly-up again after a few hours.
    >It's not the hardware.
    >The PDC has been replaced.
    >It is on a 100Mb ethernet connection.
    >The BDC's have all been promoted at one time or another, but no joy.
    >
    >Could the SAM database be corrupt?
    >
    >I just don't have enough knowledge to pusue this any further, and our
    >server folks don't seem to be concerned enough about it.
    >
    >All suggestions welcome.
    >Please just post your ideas.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >-john