"Ted A. Whittington" wrote
> I have a basic NT install (no Perl). I have looked for a manual on
> writing "BAT" files as I have some very basic scripting to do.

Here are some valuable FREE and "Almost Free"
scripting resources to assist you.

*******
#1 - Write your scripts using Mount/\Commands

..Mount/\Commands are extensions to the "builtin"
commands and utilities that are present on
ALL INSTALLATIONS of all NT-based operating
systems including Windows NT4 SP6a+, 2000,
XP and Server 2003.

They are constructed entirely of builtin commands
common to all four platforms (NT/2K/XP/K3).
There is NO BINARY CODE, only scripting commands!

They can be run on any NT4 or later installation
RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! A single file contains
the entire Mount/\Command Set and they can be
loaded or unloaded as a group in under 2 seconds
on a typically loaded system.

..Mount/\Commands are specifically designed for
use in shell scripts and are coded for
Compatibility, Clarity and Speed.

Compatibility means that ALL M/\Cs perform
CONSISTENTLY across NT/2K/XP/K3. When the
command is created, those aggravating special
cases (the source of much Fuming) are masked
within the M/\C code so that a
CONSISTENT RESULT IS ALWAYS OBTAINED.

Clarity means that scripting code written
using MountCommands can be easily understood
and maintained, even by those without
extensive shell scripting experience.

Speed means that all available methods are
employed to enhance the performance of each
command, including preloading the code so
NO DISK ACCESS is needed to invoke it!
(just like the internal commands such as
FOR, ECHO, DIR, etc.)

The complete Mount/\Command Set contains over 200
of these powerful commands. For more information,
see (http://MountCommands.com).

*******
#2 - Learn structured scripting techniques.

Our Free KnowledgeLetter, "BoomingOrFuming?" provides
valuable knowledge regarding the creation and maintenance
of reliable cross-platform shell scripts. This includes
Pattern Scripts to help you create your own custom
Mount/\Commands to add to the Standard Set.

You can peruse the first seven issues at
(http://BoomingOrFuming.com)

*******
#3 - Get the FREE Advanced NT/2K/XP Command Library (ntlib.cmd)

ntlib.cmd provides over 50 sample Mount/\Commands
to assist with writing and documenting shell scripts.

*******
You will also want to take a look at TheGuardBook,
Online Reference for Cross-Platform Shell Scripting at
(http://TheSystemGuard.com/TheGuardBook/CCS-Int).

All the commands internal to cmd.exe are documented
here in "Mounted Help" pages. This includes a
color-keyed page highlighting the differences
among all internal commands in NT/2K/XP/K3. The
"Common Help" from each OS's help screen is also
available for comparison.

*******
-tsg
TheSystemGuard.com | BoomingOrFuming.com | MountCommands.com
Free and "Almost Free" Knowledge for Windows System Admins!