Roaming Profiles Broken - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Roaming Profiles Broken - Windows NT ; Hi, Roaming profiles were working just fine for me.. until around 2 days ago (at least that's when people started to complain about it not working). I for the life of me, can not figure out what is wrong. The ...

  1. Roaming Profiles Broken

    Hi,
    Roaming profiles were working just fine for me.. until around 2 days ago
    (at least that's when people started to complain about it not working).
    I for the life of me, can not figure out what is wrong.

    The error you get logging on is:

    Windows cannot copy file \\Zeus\Users\mhoppes\blahblah blha to location
    C:\Documents and Settings\mhoppes\blahblah blha. Contact your network
    administrator.

    DETAIL - The specified network name is no longer available.

    The reason I put blahblah is because there never seems to be any rhym or
    reason to the file it can't copy. One time it will be one file.. the
    next a different file.. and then it always logs you on with a temporary
    profile.

    If I "ping zeus" that works just fine.. I've also tried adding zeus to
    my hosts file.. no luck.

    If I try to copy my \\zeus\users\mhoppes directory to c:\documents and
    settings\mhoppes (after logging in)
    I often get this error:

    Cannot copy BLAH: error performing inpage operation

    These errors occurr on many machines in the network so I know it's not
    just one machine mis-configured.
    I've tried replacing the network card in the server, as well as
    switching cables on the server.. still no luck.

    What else can I do?

  2. Re: Roaming Profiles Broken

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:57:20 -0400, Matt wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Roaming profiles were working just fine for me.. until around 2 days ago
    >(at least that's when people started to complain about it not working).
    > I for the life of me, can not figure out what is wrong.
    >
    >The error you get logging on is:
    >
    >Windows cannot copy file \\Zeus\Users\mhoppes\blahblah blha to location
    >C:\Documents and Settings\mhoppes\blahblah blha. Contact your network
    >administrator.
    >
    >DETAIL - The specified network name is no longer available.

    >The reason I put blahblah is because there never seems to be any rhym or
    >reason to the file it can't copy. One time it will be one file.. the
    >next a different file.. and then it always logs you on with a temporary
    >profile.
    >
    >If I "ping zeus" that works just fine.. I've also tried adding zeus to
    >my hosts file.. no luck.
    >
    >If I try to copy my \\zeus\users\mhoppes directory to c:\documents and
    >settings\mhoppes (after logging in)
    >I often get this error:
    >
    >Cannot copy BLAH: error performing inpage operation
    >
    >These errors occurr on many machines in the network so I know it's not
    >just one machine mis-configured.
    >I've tried replacing the network card in the server, as well as
    >switching cables on the server.. still no luck.
    >
    >What else can I do?

    First, make sure you're checking permissions *as the user* and not an
    admin that may have rights the user doesn't. Second, try moving the
    profile folder to a different drive or system to eliminate hardware or
    network errors as possibilities. Third, delete the local copy of the
    profile and see if it works. Fourth, reverse that and delete (rename
    is better) the network copy, then copy the local copy back to the
    network.

    Usually this is a network or permissions error. Check to make sure
    the user has full control of all the files in the profile, and try
    resetting the permissions (might need to take ownership to reset them
    all).

    Jeff

  3. Re: Roaming Profiles Broken

    Jeff Cochran wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:57:20 -0400, Matt wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>Roaming profiles were working just fine for me.. until around 2 days ago
    >>(at least that's when people started to complain about it not working).
    >> I for the life of me, can not figure out what is wrong.
    >>
    >>The error you get logging on is:
    >>
    >>Windows cannot copy file \\Zeus\Users\mhoppes\blahblah blha to location
    >>C:\Documents and Settings\mhoppes\blahblah blha. Contact your network
    >>administrator.
    >>
    >>DETAIL - The specified network name is no longer available.

    >>The reason I put blahblah is because there never seems to be any rhym or
    >>reason to the file it can't copy. One time it will be one file.. the
    >>next a different file.. and then it always logs you on with a temporary
    >>profile.
    >>
    >>If I "ping zeus" that works just fine.. I've also tried adding zeus to
    >>my hosts file.. no luck.
    >>
    >>If I try to copy my \\zeus\users\mhoppes directory to c:\documents and
    >>settings\mhoppes (after logging in)
    >>I often get this error:
    >>
    >>Cannot copy BLAH: error performing inpage operation
    >>
    >>These errors occurr on many machines in the network so I know it's not
    >>just one machine mis-configured.
    >>I've tried replacing the network card in the server, as well as
    >>switching cables on the server.. still no luck.
    >>
    >>What else can I do?

    > First, make sure you're checking permissions *as the user* and not an
    > admin that may have rights the user doesn't. Second, try moving the
    > profile folder to a different drive or system to eliminate hardware or
    > network errors as possibilities. Third, delete the local copy of the
    > profile and see if it works. Fourth, reverse that and delete (rename
    > is better) the network copy, then copy the local copy back to the
    > network.
    >
    > Usually this is a network or permissions error. Check to make sure
    > the user has full control of all the files in the profile, and try
    > resetting the permissions (might need to take ownership to reset them
    > all).
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff,
    I've checked the permissions as the user. Actually the admin can't even
    look at the folders.. I can see the user's directories.. but I can't get
    into them.. it says I'm not the owner... I guess only the user has
    permissions to them by default. I have not yet tried moving to another
    system.. I'll try that next and see what happens.. I've deleted the
    local copy of the profile.. that hasn't fixed anything... I can't seem
    to find a permissions error.. I've even tried "Everyone" for access to
    one folder.. just to rule things out. I'm leaning on network error..
    but I'm not seeing any thing sticking out at me as to what the issue
    would be...

  4. Re: Roaming Profiles Broken

    Another thing a noticed is too long directory structure and/or too
    long file names. This happened with us, as long as we had Temporary
    Internet Files as part of the roaming profile. When excluding these
    files (you do not really want to have thausands of temporary gifs and
    so on your server) the errors were gone.
    HTH
    Armin

  5. Re: Roaming Profiles Broken

    This coudl well be it (cookies, etc).
    What do you need to do to disable temporary internet files from roaming?

    Armin Pfeffer wrote:
    > Another thing a noticed is too long directory structure and/or too
    > long file names. This happened with us, as long as we had Temporary
    > Internet Files as part of the roaming profile. When excluding these
    > files (you do not really want to have thausands of temporary gifs and
    > so on your server) the errors were gone.
    > HTH
    > Armin

  6. Re: Roaming Profiles Broken

    Matt schrieb:
    >This coudl well be it (cookies, etc).
    >What do you need to do to disable temporary internet files from roaming?

    Hi Matt,

    well, I used the policy editor and created a User Policy tha excludes
    the directories from roaming.
    Could surely be done manualy with regedit, see a key named
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"
    in the User Tree under profiles and Winlogon (and other places)

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"="Lokale Einstellungen;Temporary Internet
    Files;Verlauf;Temp;Lokale
    Einstellungen\\Anwendungsdaten\\Microsoft\\Outlook"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Wind ows\System]
    "ExcludeProfileDirs"="Temporary Internet
    Files;Temp;Cookies;SendTo;Recent;Lokale Einstellungen;Local Settings;
    HIS6;Application

    hth
    Armin

+ Reply to Thread