Write in RunOnce for all the users - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Write in RunOnce for all the users - Windows NT ; Hi all, I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on that machine to get the setup launched only once. In ...

  1. Write in RunOnce for all the users

    Hi all,

    I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the
    common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on
    that machine to get the setup launched only once.

    In other words I would like when installing the admin part to write in
    the registry in RunOnce key the installation application, but I don't
    know how can I write this in RunOnce for *all the users*.

    If somebody know how ...
    Thanks in advance,
    Viv

  2. Re: Write in RunOnce for all the users

    Hi,

    This should work for WinNT4, Win2000 and WinXP ... I don't use Active
    Directories ...

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message news:...
    > "vc" wrote in message
    > news:11e7a684.0307110542.26a59631@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the
    > > common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on
    > > that machine to get the setup launched only once.
    > >
    > > In other words I would like when installing the admin part to write in
    > > the registry in RunOnce key the installation application, but I don't
    > > know how can I write this in RunOnce for *all the users*.
    > >
    > > If somebody know how ...

    > What platform are you using? Win NT? Win 2K (w/ or wo/ Active Directories)?
    >
    > Assuming you are using 2K an AD you achieve this by using Group Policies
    > with in you AD structure.

  3. Re: Write in RunOnce for all the users

    "vc" wrote in message
    news:11e7a684.0307110908.34735d67@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This should work for WinNT4, Win2000 and WinXP ... I don't use Active
    > Directories ...

    You need to use something that can control each PC like AD or System
    Management Server or other enterprise wide deployment systems.

    You could create a setup using a tool like Wise or Installshield that when
    the user double clicks on the icon it either sets the reg value you want or
    initiates the install, however, that method depends on the user to launch
    the icon.

    --

    Rob

  4. Re: Write in RunOnce for all the users

    vcotirlea@hotmail.com (vc) writes:

    >I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the
    >common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on
    >that machine to get the setup launched only once.

    >In other words I would like when installing the admin part to write in
    >the registry in RunOnce key the installation application, but I don't
    >know how can I write this in RunOnce for *all the users*.

    I don't recall the proper placement for NT platforms, but for W2K and
    XP all you need to do is to insert the desired RunOnce entry in the
    unloaded hive "C:\Documents and Settings\default user\ntuser.dat".

    Note that this is **NOT** the same as the always-present Registry
    entry HKU\.default which controls the computer's behavior when nobody
    is logged on.

    This hive is copied to a newly-created profile when a userid logs onto
    the computer for the first time, and becomes the HKCU hive for that
    userid. After the user's profile is created any RunOnce entries will
    be processed as part of the same login, which gives you what you're
    asking for.

    Joe Morris

  5. Re: Write in RunOnce for all the users

    "Joe Morris" wrote in message
    > vcotirlea@hotmail.com (vc) writes:
    >
    > >I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the
    > >common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on
    > >that machine to get the setup launched only once.

    > >In other words I would like when installing the admin part to write in
    > >the registry in RunOnce key the installation application, but I don't
    > >know how can I write this in RunOnce for *all the users*.

    > I don't recall the proper placement for NT platforms, but for W2K and
    > XP all you need to do is to insert the desired RunOnce entry in the
    > unloaded hive "C:\Documents and Settings\default user\ntuser.dat".
    >
    > Note that this is **NOT** the same as the always-present Registry
    > entry HKU\.default which controls the computer's behavior when nobody
    > is logged on.
    >
    > This hive is copied to a newly-created profile when a userid logs onto
    > the computer for the first time, and becomes the HKCU hive for that
    > userid. After the user's profile is created any RunOnce entries will
    > be processed as part of the same login, which gives you what you're
    > asking for.

    What I think the OP really wants is how to do that not were it's done. So
    you need to expand on how to add the entry to the ntuser.dat.

    --

    Rob

    > Joe Morris

  6. Re: Write in RunOnce for all the users

    If you are using an NT40 domain, I believe you can use system policy editor.
    The policy would probably work for both NT and 2K.

    "vc" wrote in message
    news:11e7a684.0307110542.26a59631@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a setup that should be run first by admin to install all the
    > common components, and then I would like that every user that logs on
    > that machine to get the setup launched only once.
    >
    > In other words I would like when installing the admin part to write in
    > the registry in RunOnce key the installation application, but I don't
    > know how can I write this in RunOnce for *all the users*.
    >
    > If somebody know how ...
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Viv

+ Reply to Thread