Problem with Win2k per server licenses.. - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Problem with Win2k per server licenses.. - Windows NT ; There really should be a comp.os.ms-windows.licensing-questions newsgroup. I have a Win2k Server that is used in a small office for file sharing and remote access via Terminal Services. We have the standard 5 CALs that come with the server plus ...

  1. Problem with Win2k per server licenses..

    There really should be a comp.os.ms-windows.licensing-questions
    newsgroup.

    I have a Win2k Server that is used in a small office for file sharing
    and remote access via Terminal Services. We have the standard 5 CALs
    that come with the server plus 5 TS CALs. There are five Win98
    machines that connect to this server internally, and we often connect
    remotely to administer the box, do reporting, and so on.

    We only recently set the Win2k Server up as the file server though,
    and we immediately found that some Win98 clients were having problems
    connecting. Specifically, they were being denied connections and the
    event log shows that we exceeded our licensed connection limit.
    Strange. So I open the license manager and see that we have 5 Per
    Server licenses, but 7 Per Server Reached.

    The Per Server Reached doesn't seem to ever go down, regardless of who
    disconnects.

    The problem for us is that with per server licensing I should be able
    to have 5 clients connect concurrently, regardless of what machines it
    is. This doesn't seem to be happening. Once a client connects the
    license seems to get mapped to them and they never lose it, regardless
    of whether they are connected or not.

    How can I resolve this issue? Currently the only fix would be to add
    new per server licenses.

    And I don't even want to get started on how Win2k TS licensing works.
    Who's crazy idea is that?

    ---
    Dustin Puryear
    Puryear Information Technology, LLC
    Providing expertise in the management, integration, and
    security of Windows and UNIX systems, networks, and applications.

  2. Re: Problem with Win2k per server licenses..

    >The Per Server Reached doesn't seem to ever go down, regardless of who
    >disconnects.

    Welcome to the world of the license managing service...

    >The problem for us is that with per server licensing I should be able
    >to have 5 clients connect concurrently, regardless of what machines it
    >is. This doesn't seem to be happening. Once a client connects the
    >license seems to get mapped to them and they never lose it, regardless
    >of whether they are connected or not.
    >
    >How can I resolve this issue? Currently the only fix would be to add
    >new per server licenses.

    Nope. The "fix" is to disable the licensing service, change to per
    seat licensing for the server and just realize that you've bought
    enough CAL's to cover your requirements. While decent in theory, the
    licenising service bites you in the butt more times than not. It
    doesn't keep you honest, it prevents you from using the licenses you
    own and destroys productivity, not to mention what hair you may have
    remaining.

    >And I don't even want to get started on how Win2k TS licensing works.
    >Who's crazy idea is that?

    I'm pretty sure if it wasn't his work directly that Satan had a hand
    in it somewhere.

    Jeff
    ===================================
    Jeff Cochran (IIS MVP)
    jcochran.nospam@naplesgov.com - Munged of Course

    I don't get much time to respond to direct email,
    so posts here will have a better chance of getting
    an answer. Besides, everyone benefits here.

    Suggested resources:
    http://www.iisfaq.com/
    http://www.iisanswers.com/
    http://www.iistoolshed.com/