Mirrorring drive - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Mirrorring drive - Windows NT ; If i add another SCSI drive to my Windows NT 4 server would it able to perform mirroring and would it compromise the data processing speed ? Thanks. Regards, Daniel...

  1. Mirrorring drive

    If i add another SCSI drive to my Windows NT 4 server would it able to
    perform mirroring and would it compromise the data processing speed ?
    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Daniel

  2. Re: Mirrorring drive

    what type of mirroring are you using ? hardware or microsoft ware mirror ?

    there will be an impack of the mirror building itself, best done over night.

    Cheers

    "Daniel Tan" wrote in message
    news:6a6a9040.0307070816.7b91ee33@posting.google.c om...
    > If i add another SCSI drive to my Windows NT 4 server would it able to
    > perform mirroring and would it compromise the data processing speed ?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Daniel

  3. Re: Mirrorring drive

    On 7 Jul 2003 09:16:37 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > If i add another SCSI drive to my Windows NT 4 server would it able to
    > perform mirroring

    Yes.

    > and would it compromise the data processing speed ?

    In some cases. Writes will be slower because the data has to be written
    twice, rather than once. On SCSI, though, this shouldn't be too bad, unless
    the drives are on the same channel. Reads, OTOH, will be faster, because
    either drive can be used.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/

  4. Re: Mirrorring drive

    Skylar , what is OTOH ? so if SCSI drive on different channel will be
    no problem to the write speed ? will it mirror everything including
    the system file ? Thanks.

    Daniel

    Skylar Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > On 7 Jul 2003 09:16:37 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > If i add another SCSI drive to my Windows NT 4 server would it able to
    > > perform mirroring

    > Yes.
    >
    > > and would it compromise the data processing speed ?

    > In some cases. Writes will be slower because the data has to be written
    > twice, rather than once. On SCSI, though, this shouldn't be too bad, unless
    > the drives are on the same channel. Reads, OTOH, will be faster, because
    > either drive can be used.

  5. Re: Mirrorring drive

    "Daniel Tan" schreef in bericht
    news:6a6a9040.0307080713.72ced300@posting.google.c om...
    > Skylar , what is OTOH ? so if SCSI drive on different channel will be
    > no problem to the write speed ? will it mirror everything including
    > the system file ? Thanks.

    OTOH is short for On The Other Hand

  6. Re: Mirrorring drive

    On 8 Jul 2003 08:13:18 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > will it mirror everything including the system file ? Thanks.

    Yes. It is literally a mirror of the entire drive, including the boot
    blocks and partition table (if you do it in hardware, at least).

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/

  7. Re: Mirrorring drive

    Skylar, if the main disk data got corrupted, then the mirror disk also corrupted ?

    Daniel

    Skylar Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > On 8 Jul 2003 08:13:18 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > will it mirror everything including the system file ? Thanks.

    > Yes. It is literally a mirror of the entire drive, including the boot
    > blocks and partition table (if you do it in hardware, at least).

  8. Re: Mirrorring drive

    On 11 Jul 2003 09:00:57 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > Skylar, if the main disk data got corrupted, then the mirror disk also corrupted ?

    In RAID 1, there is no "master" or "slave" drive; each drive is a peer to
    the others. This means that data corruption is only a problem during
    rebuilds, controller faults, and user errors. A drive problem will cause
    the controller/OS to tag the drive as bad, and continue with the remaining
    drive(s) in degraded operation until the drive is replaced.

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/

  9. Re: Mirrorring drive

    Skylar, does mirroring related to RAID ? I do not have RAID controller installed.

    Regards,
    Daniel

    Skylar Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > On 11 Jul 2003 09:00:57 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > > Skylar, if the main disk data got corrupted, then the mirror disk also corrupted ?

    > In RAID 1, there is no "master" or "slave" drive; each drive is a peer to
    > the others. This means that data corruption is only a problem during
    > rebuilds, controller faults, and user errors. A drive problem will cause
    > the controller/OS to tag the drive as bad, and continue with the remaining
    > drive(s) in degraded operation until the drive is replaced.

  10. Re: Mirrorring drive

    On 13 Jul 2003 10:13:59 -0700, Daniel Tan wrote:
    > Skylar, does mirroring related to RAID ? I do not have RAID controller installed.

    You can use software RAID, in which the OS, CPU, and normal disk
    controllers take the place of the RAID controller. If your controller
    supports it, you can even do hot swapping with software RAID. Software RAID
    (particularly RAID 5) tends to be somewhat slower than hardware RAID,
    although some people have reported software RAID to be faster in pure
    striping (RAID 0).

    --
    -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@os2.dhs.org)
    -- http://os2.dhs.org/~skylar/