How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation - Windows NT

This is a discussion on How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation - Windows NT ; Hello, how can i install Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on a Alpha Workstation with ARCS Bios ? Entering the ARCS Bios (automatically) there is the Option "Run a Program". But how to install windows ? I tried to Execute CD:\ALPHA\WINNT32.EXE ...

  1. How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation

    Hello,
    how can i install Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on a Alpha Workstation
    with ARCS Bios ?

    Entering the ARCS Bios (automatically) there is the Option "Run a Program".
    But how to install windows ?
    I tried to Execute CD:\ALPHA\WINNT32.EXE with this option but it refused to
    work.

    Perhaps sb can help me. Thank

    Greetz Stefan

  2. Re: How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation

    In news:be4gf5$bc5$03$1@news.t-online.com,
    Stefan Gerach wrote:
    > Hello,
    > how can i install Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on a Alpha Workstation
    > with ARCS Bios ?
    >
    > Entering the ARCS Bios (automatically) there is the Option "Run a
    > Program". But how to install windows ?
    > I tried to Execute CD:\ALPHA\WINNT32.EXE with this option but it
    > refused to work.
    >
    > Perhaps sb can help me. Thank
    >
    > Greetz Stefan

    From the Product Documentation:

    The procedures described here pertain to both Intel x86-based and RISC-based
    computers. If your computer is RISC-based, notice the special instructions
    in some of the steps.

    Note If you are installing Windows NT on a portable computer with a Personal
    Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA) port and you want
    Setup to configure a device connected to that port, you must insert the
    device and start or restart your computer before running Setup. Make sure
    that any device you use is approved on the Windows NT Hardware Compatibility
    List. For ways of finding this list, see "What You Should Know Before
    Running Setup" earlier in this chapter.

    The Setup disks included with your package (labeled "Setup Boot Disk,"
    "Setup Disk 2," and "Setup Disk 3") are required if you are installing
    Windows NT for the first time on an Intel x86-based computer. If you are
    installing over a network and do not have your package at hand, the Setup
    disks are created during Setup when you use the winnt or winnt32 command.
    Also, the Setup disks let you start Windows NT at a later time when it might
    not be able to start on its own due to a system error. You can use the Setup
    disks together with the Emergency Repair Disk, as described in Help, to
    recover your system when it is unable to start.

    If your computer's BIOS supports the El Torito Bootable CD-ROM (no-emulation
    mode) format, you can skip over using the Setup disks during a new
    installation of Windows NT 4.0 and start Setup directly from the Windows NT
    Workstation compact disc.

    If you are installing on a RISC-based computer, this is the appropriate
    method for starting Setup as well. Check the documentation for your computer
    to learn whether this option is available to you.

    To install Windows NT Workstation on your computer using the Setup disks
    and/or the Windows NT Workstation compact disc

    With your computer turned off, insert the disk labeled " Windows NT Setup
    Boot Disk" into drive A of your computer.

    Or, if your computer's BIOS supports the El Torito Bootable CD-ROM
    (no-emulation mode) format, insert the Windows NT Workstation 4.0 compact
    disc with your computer turned off.

    Turn on your computer.

    If you are installing on an Intel x86-based computer, Setup will start
    automatically.

    If you are installing on a RISC-based computer, follow these additional
    steps:

    At the ARC screen, choose Run A Program from the menu.

    At the prompt, type cd:\system\setupldr and press ENTER, where system is the
    directory name matching your system type: MIPS, PPC (for PowerPC computers),
    or ALPHA.

    For some RISC-based computers, you might need to supply a full device name
    instead of typing cd:. See your computer documentation for more information.

    Once Setup is started, follow the instructions on the screen. Refer to the
    appropriate sections in this book when you need assistance.

    To install Windows NT Workstation 4.0 using a network connection to the
    Setup files on a remote server

    Using your existing operating system or a MS-DOS disk, establish your
    connection to the share containing the Setup files.

    If your computer is currently running a previous version of Windows NT, type
    winnt32 at the command prompt. For all other installations, type winnt.

    Setup begins with a brief welcoming screen asking you the process by which
    you want to proceed with installation. If you are installing Windows NT
    Workstation 4.0 on your machine for the first time, press ENTER to begin the
    Setup process.

    On this and the other opening Setup screens, Help is available by pressing
    F1. These Help screens contain useful background information and suggestions
    to follow while running Setup.

    If you are continuing an earlier failed attempt to install Windows NT,
    certain repair options are available by pressing R. For guidance in using
    these screens, refer to the available Help by pressing F1.

    You can cancel Setup entirely at any point on these screens by pressing F3.

    --

    Frank GoBell

  3. Re: How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation

    Thanks. Forgot to RTFM :-)).

    Unfortunately Setup stops, after few seconds :

    "Bei der Initialisierung der Grafikkarte des Computers ist ein
    schwerwiegender Fehler aufgetreten"

    or in English :

    While initializating the Grafikcard a serious Error occured.

    Stefan

  4. Re: How to install Windows on Alpha Workstation

    ok, i did it.

    Just the NIC left :-))

    Thank Stefan

+ Reply to Thread