HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup - Windows NT

This is a discussion on HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup - Windows NT ; Hello, Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced and reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a file. The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so ...

  1. HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    Hello,
    Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced and
    reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a file.

    The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to go
    through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT the
    drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and reboot
    straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.

    Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a RAID
    controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again to re-install
    the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it again? If so, I
    desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive, because I don't want
    to reinstall everything for a third time.

    Please let me know what I should do.

    Thanks.
    Louis-Luc

  2. Re: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    schreef in bericht
    > Hello,
    > Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced and
    > reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a file.
    >
    > The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to go
    > through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT the
    > drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and reboot
    > straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.
    >
    > Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a RAID
    > controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again to

    re-install
    > the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it again? If so, I
    > desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive, because I don't want
    > to reinstall everything for a third time.
    >

    > Please let me know what I should do.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Louis-Luc

    Well, there are several pieces of software which can do this. Drive Image
    from PowerQuest (or perhaps ServerMagic from the same company) and Ghost
    from Symantec. I regurarly use Drive Image for these kinds of tasks (even on
    servers, eventhough PowerQuest says that Drive Image only works on W2000
    pro), and restoring the drive goes without any problems. However, for both
    software the server should be offline, as these are DOS packages.

  3. Re: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    "John van Poelgeest" wrote in

    > schreef in bericht
    >> Hello,
    >> Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced
    >> and reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a
    >> file.
    >>
    >> The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to
    >> go through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT
    >> the drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and
    >> reboot straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.
    >>
    >> Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a
    >> RAID controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again

    > re-install
    >> the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it again? If so, I
    >> desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive, because I don't
    >> want to reinstall everything for a third time.
    >>

    >> Please let me know what I should do.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Louis-Luc

    > Well, there are several pieces of software which can do this. Drive
    > Image from PowerQuest (or perhaps ServerMagic from the same company)
    > and Ghost from Symantec. I regurarly use Drive Image for these kinds
    > of tasks (even on servers, eventhough PowerQuest says that Drive Image
    > only works on W2000 pro), and restoring the drive goes without any
    > problems. However, for both software the server should be offline, as
    > these are DOS packages.

    One thing. If you are using Raid the Drive sizes need to be identical if
    you are using Mirroring.The thing is if the size of the drives are not the
    same you will have problems with the mirroring. Yes use Ghost, or Drive
    Image. The problem if the drives are not identical is when trying to mirror
    if the one drive is larger then the other the data will run out of room on
    one or the other drive thus breaking the mirror.

  4. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    In article , leguerri@canr.hydro.qc.ca wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced and
    > reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a file.
    >
    > The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to go
    > through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT the
    > drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and reboot
    > straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.

    > Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a RAID
    > controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again to re-install
    > the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it again? If so, I
    > desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive, because I don't want
    > to reinstall everything for a third time.

    You could try a cloning program, but remember that windows 2000 is not dos
    based. You really need a specific Windows 2000 supporting tool. Ask in a
    Windows group for more specific possibilities.

    P.s. I think your tech is right. If it isn't the only way, it still probably
    is the easiest way.

  5. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    Marco van de Voort wrote in

    > In article ,
    > leguerri@canr.hydro.qc.ca wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced
    >> and reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a
    >> file.
    >>
    >> The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to
    >> go through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT
    >> the drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and
    >> reboot straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.

    >> Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a
    >> RAID controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again
    >> to re-install the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it
    >> again? If so, I desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive,
    >> because I don't want to reinstall everything for a third time.

    > You could try a cloning program, but remember that windows 2000 is not
    > dos based. You really need a specific Windows 2000 supporting tool.
    > Ask in a Windows group for more specific possibilities.
    >
    > P.s. I think your tech is right. If it isn't the only way, it still
    > probably is the easiest way.

    The problem with cloning is that you have to have a bootable floppy to
    clone an HDD and this is problematic with hardware RAID controllers. I
    suppose it can be done but I've never successfully implemented it (God
    knows I want to - it would save a lot of time on a server crash). I'm
    talking specifically about a program like Ghost. There *may* be other
    apps that I'm not familiar with that can run a cloned image while in the
    W2K OS but usually you can't do that because there are so many files in
    use.

    As for the mirroring thing, there should be no reason to have to reformat
    the C: drive again. Hardware RAID controllers usually have a GUI
    interface within the W2K OS and a text-based interface w/in the "DOS"
    portion of the system bootup. I don't see why you couldn't break the
    mirror, format the drive and reestablish the mirror using these
    utilities.

    Hope this helps. I can't really give you any more advice w/out more
    details.

    --
    remove nospam to use email

    Casey Stamper
    mstamper@nospamwideopenwest.com

    "The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
    old Arabic saying

  6. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    > The problem with cloning is that you have to have a bootable floppy to
    > clone an HDD and this is problematic with hardware RAID controllers. I
    > suppose it can be done but I've never successfully implemented it (God
    > knows I want to - it would save a lot of time on a server crash). I'm
    > talking specifically about a program like Ghost. There *may* be other
    > apps that I'm not familiar with that can run a cloned image while in the
    > W2K OS but usually you can't do that because there are so many files in
    > use.

    I've made several diskimages from servers with a hardware RAID set, all
    without any problem. Just stick a Windows 98 bootdisk in the drive, start
    the server, and the disks are easy to clone with driveimage. Never had any
    problem doing so.And the restores work also.

    I can imagine a software RAID might give serious problems, but a hardware
    RAID should "publish" itself as one drive. At least, all my RAID sets do
    (compaqs and dells).

  7. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    "John van Poelgeest" wrote in

    >> The problem with cloning is that you have to have a bootable floppy
    >> to clone an HDD and this is problematic with hardware RAID
    >> controllers. I suppose it can be done but I've never successfully
    >> implemented it (God knows I want to - it would save a lot of time on
    >> a server crash). I'm talking specifically about a program like Ghost.
    >> There *may* be other apps that I'm not familiar with that can run a
    >> cloned image while in the W2K OS but usually you can't do that
    >> because there are so many files in use.

    > I've made several diskimages from servers with a hardware RAID set,
    > all without any problem. Just stick a Windows 98 bootdisk in the
    > drive, start the server, and the disks are easy to clone with
    > driveimage. Never had any problem doing so.And the restores work also.
    >
    > I can imagine a software RAID might give serious problems, but a
    > hardware RAID should "publish" itself as one drive. At least, all my
    > RAID sets do (compaqs and dells).

    You're right. I wasn't thinking RAID 1, I was thinking of RAID 5.

    --
    remove nospam to use email

    Casey Stamper
    mstamper@nospamwideopenwest.com

    "The dogs bark . . . but the caravan moves on"
    old Arabic saying

  8. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    In article , Casey Stamper wrote:
    > Marco van de Voort wrote in
    >>
    >> You could try a cloning program, but remember that windows 2000 is not
    >> dos based. You really need a specific Windows 2000 supporting tool.
    >> Ask in a Windows group for more specific possibilities.
    >>
    >> P.s. I think your tech is right. If it isn't the only way, it still
    >> probably is the easiest way.
    >>

    > The problem with cloning is that you have to have a bootable floppy to
    > clone an HDD and this is problematic with hardware RAID controllers.

    Not necessarily. Windows 2000 seems to have a kind of single user mode too.
    (the moment where e.g. filesystems are checked/converted or pqmagic runs)

    A win2000 specific tool could maybe do some cloning there too.

    > I suppose it can be done but I've never successfully implemented it (God
    > knows I want to - it would save a lot of time on a server crash). I'm
    > talking specifically about a program like Ghost. There *may* be other apps
    > that I'm not familiar with that can run a cloned image while in the W2K OS
    > but usually you can't do that because there are so many files in use.

    There are special moments for such work in the bootup (after driver (=raid) loading,
    but before initing the bulk of the OS)

  9. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:42:35 GMT, leguerri@canr.hydro.qc.ca wrote:

    >Hello,
    >Here, we have a Win2000 server, where the disk has gone bad, replaced and
    >reformatted. I'd like to be able to clone ALL of drive C: into a file.
    >
    >The C: drive is long and complicated to install, so I don't want to go
    >through that next time it crashes. I just want to FDISK, FORMAT the
    >drive, and then dump all the contents back onto the drive, and reboot
    >straight in Windows 2000 with everything set up correctly.
    >
    >Also, the server is equipped with 2 SCSI 17Gb drives mirrored with a RAID
    >controller. The technician pretends he needs to format it again to re-install
    >the second drive. Is it really necessary to format it again? If so, I
    >desperately need to find a way to clone the C: drive, because I don't want
    >to reinstall everything for a third time.
    >

    >Please let me know what I should do.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Louis-Luc

    For cloning or dumping to an image file, look at Ghost or Acronic
    TruImage. Ghost requires bringing the server down to image, but
    TruImage is capable of doing this with Windows up and running.

    You didn't mention the RAID controller, but yes some do require
    bringing the server down to replace a failed drive. Some may require
    you to wait while the new drive is re-mirrored to the existing drive.

    Another thing to consider is that RAID doesn't protect from corrupt
    file systems or file getting trashed. They only protect from a
    hardware failure. Backups are still very important. Imaging or file
    backups are crucial if the information is valuable.

    -Chris

  10. Re: HELP: Cloning WIN2000 C: drive, & RAID setup

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:50:24 +0000 (UTC), Marco van de Voort
    wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc:

    > In article , Casey Stamper wrote:
    >> Marco van de Voort wrote in
    >>>
    >>> You could try a cloning program, but remember that windows 2000 is not
    >>> dos based. You really need a specific Windows 2000 supporting tool.
    >>> Ask in a Windows group for more specific possibilities.
    >>>
    >>> P.s. I think your tech is right. If it isn't the only way, it still
    >>> probably is the easiest way.
    >>>

    >> The problem with cloning is that you have to have a bootable floppy to
    >> clone an HDD and this is problematic with hardware RAID controllers.

    > Not necessarily. Windows 2000 seems to have a kind of single user mode too.
    > (the moment where e.g. filesystems are checked/converted or pqmagic runs)

    Kind of related to this, XP has a "recovery console" which is basically a
    DOS-like prompt from which you can do various disk related things. It has a
    properly documented fixmbr command (which looks equivalent to the
    undocumented fdisk /mbr) as well as a few other things to partition disks,
    rewrite the boot sector and start and stop XP services. It isn't installed
    by default (I imagine MS doesn't want people playing around unless they know
    what they are doing). I imagine someone could write some sort of disk
    cloning tool to run under it.

    mh.
    --

    Sig temporarily unavailable.