Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ? - Windows NT

This is a discussion on Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ? - Windows NT ; Hi, I've been searching for a software allowing you to mount or rather to emulate a directory on your HD (say 'D:\myDir') as a *real* IDE/ATAPI drive on another drive letter, I do want my system (Windows 2000) to believe ...

  1. Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    Hi,
    I've been searching for a software allowing you to mount
    or rather to emulate a directory on your HD (say 'D:\myDir')
    as a *real* IDE/ATAPI drive on another drive letter, I do
    want my system (Windows 2000) to believe -or at least a certain
    software I use- that this J: or K: or whatever letter I've
    mounted my dir. on is a CD/DVD-rom drive... (the cmd 'subst'
    is not enough with the software I use -DVDDecrypter actually-)

    Anybody ever heard such a software exists ?

    Thanks a lot !
    Regards,
    Spendius

  2. Re: Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    On 26 Jun 2003 03:45:41 -0700, spendius@muchomail.com (Spendius)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I've been searching for a software allowing you to mount
    >or rather to emulate a directory on your HD (say 'D:\myDir')
    >as a *real* IDE/ATAPI drive on another drive letter, I do
    >want my system (Windows 2000) to believe -or at least a certain
    >software I use- that this J: or K: or whatever letter I've
    >mounted my dir. on is a CD/DVD-rom drive... (the cmd 'subst'
    >is not enough with the software I use -DVDDecrypter actually-)
    >
    >Anybody ever heard such a software exists ?
    >
    >Thanks a lot !
    >Regards,
    >Spendius

    Try Daemon tools, that will allow you to do so.

    http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_so...emon_tools.cfm

    You also can mount cd/dvd iso image files as drive letters then, and
    even watch films in say powerdvd.

    EBuyerdotcon "Made the wrong choice, didn't you?"
    www.ebuyerdotcon.co.uk

  3. Re: Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    Daemon Tools 3.3 (Freeware) will do this with an ISO file. "Daemon Tools
    mounts your CD image files as virtual drives and emulates copy protections.
    .... "

    For standard files, have you considered Windows "Map Network Drive"
    Function? This will allow you to designate, for example, a certain
    subdirectory on the harddrive as J:, or whatever.

    "Spendius" wrote in message
    news:aba30b75.0306260245.5e3052c8@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > I've been searching for a software allowing you to mount
    > or rather to emulate a directory on your HD (say 'D:\myDir')
    > as a *real* IDE/ATAPI drive on another drive letter, I do
    > want my system (Windows 2000) to believe -or at least a certain
    > software I use- that this J: or K: or whatever letter I've
    > mounted my dir. on is a CD/DVD-rom drive... (the cmd 'subst'
    > is not enough with the software I use -DVDDecrypter actually-)
    >
    > Anybody ever heard such a software exists ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot !
    > Regards,
    > Spendius

  4. Re: Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    comments@ebuyerdotcon.co.uk (EBuyerdotcon) wrote...
    > Try Daemon tools, that will allow you to do so.
    >
    > http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_so...emon_tools.cfm
    >
    > You also can mount cd/dvd iso image files as drive letters then, and
    > even watch films in say powerdvd.

    No, no: if DaemonTools only permits to mount ISO images as
    CD-ROM drives, that's not what I'm looking for: I want to be
    able to mount *any* directory (whatever its contents, ISO files
    or not) as an IDE/ATAPI device...

  5. Re: Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    On 26 Jun 2003 11:12:27 -0700, spendius@muchomail.com (Spendius)
    wrote:

    >comments@ebuyerdotcon.co.uk (EBuyerdotcon) wrote...
    >> Try Daemon tools, that will allow you to do so.
    >>
    >> http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_so...emon_tools.cfm
    >>
    >> You also can mount cd/dvd iso image files as drive letters then, and
    >> even watch films in say powerdvd.

    >No, no: if DaemonTools only permits to mount ISO images as
    >CD-ROM drives, that's not what I'm looking for: I want to be
    >able to mount *any* directory (whatever its contents, ISO files
    >or not) as an IDE/ATAPI device...

    Well just burn a image with just the disc entitled the folder name and
    the files within it, and mount that.

    EBuyerdotcon "Made the wrong choice, didn't you?"
    www.ebuyerdotcon.co.uk

  6. Re: Obviously IMPOSSIBLE to mount a hard disk dir. as if an IDE/ATAPI device ?

    CLONECD from www.elby.ch seems to have the ability to do what you want. Adds
    a "virtual" CD Drive on install options.

    Hope this helps

    Dave B
    "Spendius" wrote in message
    news:aba30b75.0306260245.5e3052c8@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > I've been searching for a software allowing you to mount
    > or rather to emulate a directory on your HD (say 'D:\myDir')
    > as a *real* IDE/ATAPI drive on another drive letter, I do
    > want my system (Windows 2000) to believe -or at least a certain
    > software I use- that this J: or K: or whatever letter I've
    > mounted my dir. on is a CD/DVD-rom drive... (the cmd 'subst'
    > is not enough with the software I use -DVDDecrypter actually-)
    >
    > Anybody ever heard such a software exists ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot !
    > Regards,
    > Spendius

+ Reply to Thread