Windows CE Application developpement with Visual Studio 2005 and MFC - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Windows CE Application developpement with Visual Studio 2005 and MFC - Windows CE ; Hi, I have to create an application for Windows CE. I know that my HMI (Aplex), CPU:ARM920 and the Windows CE version is 4.2. In the past, I already create application for Pocket PC using Visual Studio and C# (.NET) ...

  1. Windows CE Application developpement with Visual Studio 2005 and MFC

    Hi,

    I have to create an application for Windows CE. I know that my HMI
    (Aplex), CPU:ARM920 and the Windows CE version is 4.2.

    In the past, I already create application for Pocket PC using Visual
    Studio and C# (.NET) without any problem. It was really easy ! But
    actually I don't know how to create it for Windows CE plateform.

    What do I need exactly to create a simple "Hello world" application
    that may works as a valid Windows CE application on the device ???

    From now I've installed these components on my computer :
    - Microsft Emulator for Windows CE
    - Visual Studio 2005
    - Windows CE Tools

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: Windows CE Application developpement with Visual Studio 2005 and MFC

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:00:15 -0700 (PDT), Erakis
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have to create an application for Windows CE. I know that my HMI
    >(Aplex), CPU:ARM920 and the Windows CE version is 4.2.
    >
    >In the past, I already create application for Pocket PC using Visual
    >Studio and C# (.NET) without any problem. It was really easy ! But
    >actually I don't know how to create it for Windows CE plateform.

    Windows CE is the underlying operating system, and you cannot create
    an application for it directly. You must build applications for
    specific platforms (Pocket PC, Smartphone, etc.), and usually use the
    SDK for that platform. I could not find info on your device (I admit I
    did not look hard), so I assume it is either a custom or
    semi-industrial device. In that case, you really should get the SDK
    from the device manufacturer. Or you can try to use the SDK for HPC
    Pro (my usual approach), but that might not work with your IDE and
    doesn't support C#. You _could_ try the "standard" SDK, but it is
    definitely not standard, is usually more bother than it's worth, and
    is usually discussed far less kindly than I am here.

    >What do I need exactly to create a simple "Hello world" application
    >that may works as a valid Windows CE application on the device ???
    >
    >From now I've installed these components on my computer :
    > - Microsft Emulator for Windows CE
    > - Visual Studio 2005
    > - Windows CE Tools
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com
    Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):