is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE? - Windows CE ; Hello, we have two windows application which were programmed with C++ and C#. Now we are thinking to use them in a WinCE system. But I don't have much experience with WinCE, so I want to know if it is ...

  1. is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE?

    Hello,

    we have two windows application which were programmed with C++ and C#. Now
    we are thinking to use them in a WinCE system. But I don't have much
    experience with WinCE, so I want to know if it is fesible at all. Are there
    any limitations with WinCE which are different from other windows systems?

    Thanks a lot!

    Le

  2. Re: is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE?

    It all depends on what particular Win32 API do you use in your
    applications. We try very hard to be compatible with most of the
    commonly used WIN32 APIs.

    If you the latest WinCE version 6.0, the upgraded memory model and
    device driver framework makes it very easy to port applications.

    There are certain differences between the GUI programming model for
    Windows and Windows CE which you can easily look up.

    -Viral
    VIRALM at MICROSOFT dot COM

    On Aug 28, 11:37 pm, "Le.Wang" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > we have two windows application which were programmed with C++ and C#. Now
    > we are thinking to use them in a WinCE system. But I don't have much
    > experience with WinCE, so I want to know if it is fesible at all. Are there
    > any limitations with WinCE which are different from other windows systems?
    >
    > Thanks a lot!
    >
    > Le

  3. Re: is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE?

    Questions about programming are far more likely to get useful answers
    if asked in a newsgroup for programmers. I suggest using google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    porting
    in microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer. More below (in-line).

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:37:02 +0200, "Le.Wang"
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >we have two windows application which were programmed with C++ and C#. Now
    >we are thinking to use them in a WinCE system. But I don't have much
    >experience with WinCE, so I want to know if it is fesible at all. Are there
    >any limitations with WinCE which are different from other windows systems?

    First, you very definitely can't use the same executables. The
    operating systems are too different under the hood and the CPUs are
    completely incompatible CPU.

    How easily you can port your code depends heavily on the features and
    functions you used, and on how you handle character strings. The base
    Windows CE operating system is mostly a subset of Win32, so functions
    in CE work very much like their counterparts in "big" Windows, but
    many functions are missing. I don't use .NET but believe CF is much
    smaller. I do not know of any succinct listing for either set of
    differences. If you use character strings at all, you will need to
    know about UNICODE, because CE requires it; take time to learn or you
    will waste a lot of your time.

    >Thanks a lot!
    >
    >Le

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  4. Re: is it possible to use other windows application in WinCE?

    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >we have two windows application which were programmed with C++ and C#. Now
    >we are thinking to use them in a WinCE system. But I don't have much
    >experience with WinCE, so I want to know if it is fesible at all. Are there
    >any limitations with WinCE which are different from other windows systems?

    First, you very definitely can't use the same executables. The
    operating systems are too different under the hood and the CPUs are
    completely incompatible CPU.

    How easily you can port your code depends heavily on the features and
    functions you used, and on how you handle character strings. The base
    Windows CE operating system is mostly a subset of Win32, so functions
    in CE work very much like their counterparts in "big" Windows, but
    many functions are missing. I don't use .NET but believe CF is much
    smaller. I do not know of any succinct listing for either set of
    differences. If you use character strings at all, you will need to
    know about UNICODE, because CE requires it; take time to learn or you
    will waste a lot of your time.

    >Thanks a lot!
    >
    >Le

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP