WriteFile memory leak - Windows CE

This is a discussion on WriteFile memory leak - Windows CE ; Hi, I've found some previous similar stuff on this, but it's of no real help. I have a WinCE app (embedded Visual C++ 4.0, WinCE 5.0) that uses WriteFile to output data to a com port. The CreateFile is done ...

  1. WriteFile memory leak

    Hi, I've found some previous similar stuff on this, but it's of no
    real help.

    I have a WinCE app (embedded Visual C++ 4.0, WinCE 5.0) that uses
    WriteFile to output data to a com port. The CreateFile is done at
    startup and CloseHandle done on quit, so the port remains open.
    Everything works great with comms a few times a second (about 15 bytes
    in and 15 out). I notice from the start that dwAvailPhys shows a slow
    decrease over time and dwMemoryLoad goes slowly up. After memory load
    is in the 90's for a while (after a couple of hours), my app goes
    weird, mainly losing screen updates and the colours all go white. Even
    restarting leaves dwAvailPhys low. It seems that after reading up on
    this, there may be a slow memory leak issue with WriteFile. Even a
    restart seems to leave memory depleted. Any suggestions on how to fix
    this, thanks, Mark.

  2. Re: WriteFile memory leak

    Questions about programming are far more likely to get useful answers
    if asked in a newsgroup for programmers. I infer from the functions
    you use, that you are using straight Win32. And that means
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer would be a likely candidate.

    I believe Windows CE is somewhat "lazy" about garbage collection. That
    could explain some apparent memory leaks.

    I use CreateFile and relatives a lot, and have never seen any signs of
    leaks. Although leaks specific to comm ports would have to be serious
    for me to notice, given how little I use them (I mostly work with
    files). More generally, these functions are used way too often for
    leaks to occur without notice, and I haven't seen any reports from
    anyone else. So I strongly suspect the problem lies in your related
    code.

    On 22 May 2007 23:27:42 -0700, mgoyeah@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Hi, I've found some previous similar stuff on this, but it's of no
    >real help.
    >
    >I have a WinCE app (embedded Visual C++ 4.0, WinCE 5.0) that uses
    >WriteFile to output data to a com port. The CreateFile is done at
    >startup and CloseHandle done on quit, so the port remains open.
    >Everything works great with comms a few times a second (about 15 bytes
    >in and 15 out). I notice from the start that dwAvailPhys shows a slow
    >decrease over time and dwMemoryLoad goes slowly up. After memory load
    >is in the 90's for a while (after a couple of hours), my app goes
    >weird, mainly losing screen updates and the colours all go white. Even
    >restarting leaves dwAvailPhys low. It seems that after reading up on
    >this, there may be a slow memory leak issue with WriteFile. Even a
    >restart seems to leave memory depleted. Any suggestions on how to fix
    >this, thanks, Mark.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400