ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0) - Windows CE

This is a discussion on ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0) - Windows CE ; Q: What is PocketDOS? A: PocketDOS is a powerful virtual PC software environment for your pocket computer that allows you to run a DOS operating system and have instant access to many DOS applications* on your pocket computer, whilst simultaneously ...

  1. ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Q: What is PocketDOS?
    A: PocketDOS is a powerful virtual PC software environment for your
    pocket computer that allows you to run a DOS operating system and have
    instant access to many DOS applications* on your pocket computer,
    whilst simultaneously allowing the use of the pocket computer's native
    applications. PocketDOS also allows DOS applications to access serial
    ports, built-in modems, infrared ports, bluetooth devices, removable
    storage disks, touchscreens and shared network resources, and allows
    file sharing between the pocket computer's native applications and DOS
    applications.
    (* Intel 8086/80186/80286 (real-mode only) compatible using
    CGA,EGA,VGA, HP-LX or text display modes)

    Q: What is new in this version?
    A: This version:
    - Uses FreeDOS 1.0 as the default OS
    - Adds loading/saving emulator state (hibernation)
    - Adds loading/saving/resetting emulator settings
    - Adds 160x200 compressed mode for ModeX (320x200x256) display mode
    - Adds landscape (display orientation) GUI for Pocket PC
    - Adds support for landscape SmartPhone platforms
    - Adds user interface for mapping hardware keys to PC/XT keys
    - Adds option to specify a modifier key for left/right mouse button
    - Adds option to enable/disable HMA (High Memory Area) with SETCPU
    command
    - Adds translation of redirector paths for PocketDOS utilities that
    read to/write from host file system files
    - Adds detection of previous application failure on startup and option
    to start in 'safe' mode
    - Improved handling of low memory conditions
    - Improved GUI handling of direct screen access (DSA)
    - Improved support for CPU plug-ins
    - Improved layout of Pocket PC onscreen keyboard
    - Improved video BIOS compatibility
    - Improved mouse driver compatibility
    - Improved keyboard BIOS compatibility
    - Improved compatibility of XMS driver
    - Minor bug fixes and improvements

    Q: Which devices are compatible with PocketDOS?
    A: All Handheld PCs, Palm-sized PCs, Pocket PCs or SmartPhones with
    Windows CE, Windows CE.NET or Windows Mobile and Hitachi SH3, Hitachi
    SH4, MIPS or ARM (StrongARM, XScale) compatible processors. All Casio
    PocketManagers with Windows CE and MIPS-compatible processors.

    Q: Where can I download a demo copy?
    A: http://www.pocketdos.com

    Any queries should be addressed to the PocketDOS support forum in the
    "Support" section of the PocketDOS website.
    --
    PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    http://www.pocketdos.com

  2. Re: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Cool, just in time: I plan to write my Productivity x86 Emulators roundup
    early next week.

    Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
    Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.

    "PocketDOS" wrote in message
    news:1178850441.655233.246530@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Q: What is PocketDOS?
    > A: PocketDOS is a powerful virtual PC software environment for your
    > pocket computer that allows you to run a DOS operating system and have
    > instant access to many DOS applications* on your pocket computer,
    > whilst simultaneously allowing the use of the pocket computer's native
    > applications. PocketDOS also allows DOS applications to access serial
    > ports, built-in modems, infrared ports, bluetooth devices, removable
    > storage disks, touchscreens and shared network resources, and allows
    > file sharing between the pocket computer's native applications and DOS
    > applications.
    > (* Intel 8086/80186/80286 (real-mode only) compatible using
    > CGA,EGA,VGA, HP-LX or text display modes)
    >
    > Q: What is new in this version?
    > A: This version:
    > - Uses FreeDOS 1.0 as the default OS
    > - Adds loading/saving emulator state (hibernation)
    > - Adds loading/saving/resetting emulator settings
    > - Adds 160x200 compressed mode for ModeX (320x200x256) display mode
    > - Adds landscape (display orientation) GUI for Pocket PC
    > - Adds support for landscape SmartPhone platforms
    > - Adds user interface for mapping hardware keys to PC/XT keys
    > - Adds option to specify a modifier key for left/right mouse button
    > - Adds option to enable/disable HMA (High Memory Area) with SETCPU
    > command
    > - Adds translation of redirector paths for PocketDOS utilities that
    > read to/write from host file system files
    > - Adds detection of previous application failure on startup and option
    > to start in 'safe' mode
    > - Improved handling of low memory conditions
    > - Improved GUI handling of direct screen access (DSA)
    > - Improved support for CPU plug-ins
    > - Improved layout of Pocket PC onscreen keyboard
    > - Improved video BIOS compatibility
    > - Improved mouse driver compatibility
    > - Improved keyboard BIOS compatibility
    > - Improved compatibility of XMS driver
    > - Minor bug fixes and improvements
    >
    > Q: Which devices are compatible with PocketDOS?
    > A: All Handheld PCs, Palm-sized PCs, Pocket PCs or SmartPhones with
    > Windows CE, Windows CE.NET or Windows Mobile and Hitachi SH3, Hitachi
    > SH4, MIPS or ARM (StrongARM, XScale) compatible processors. All Casio
    > PocketManagers with Windows CE and MIPS-compatible processors.
    >
    > Q: Where can I download a demo copy?
    > A: http://www.pocketdos.com
    >
    > Any queries should be addressed to the PocketDOS support forum in the
    > "Support" section of the PocketDOS website.
    > --
    > PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    > http://www.pocketdos.com

  3. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Do You know a W95 emulator (to be executed on a WM5 PPC) with support to
    serial COM port?

    Thanks
    Armando

  4. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Hi,
    how is a touchscreen supported under PocketDos?
    If the touch works under WinCE then in PocketDOS it works as a normal
    mouse pointer?
    Regards
    Javier Grijalba

    --
    Javier Grijalba
    www.contendosystems.com

  5. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    On May 11, 6:00 pm, "Javier Grijalba"
    wrote:

    > how is a touchscreen supported underPocketDos?
    > If the touch works under WinCE then inPocketDOSit works as a normal
    > mouse pointer?

    Dear Sir,

    PocketDOS has a built-in DOS (INT33h) mouse driver, which enables you
    to use the touchscreen or any other (WinCE) pointing device as a mouse
    under PocketDOS.

    Thank you for your interest.
    --
    PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.
    http://www.pocketdos.com

  6. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Yes, as a mouse pointer. I've played a lot for example Legend Entertainment
    games this way.

    Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen - Microsoft MVP - Windows - Mobile Devices
    Please see the Pocket PC Mag Expert Blog (including mine) at
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ - you will definitely like it.

    "Javier Grijalba" wrote in
    message newsp.tr56qajywnzlqi@localhost...
> [...]
    >> - Improved support for CPU plug-ins
    >> - Improved layout of Pocket PC onscreen keyboard
    >> - Improved video BIOS compatibility
    >> - Improved mouse driver compatibility
    >> - Improved keyboard BIOS compatibility
    >> - Improved compatibility of XMS driver
    >> - Minor bug fixes and improvements
    >>
    >> Q: Which devices are compatible with PocketDOS?
    >> A: All Handheld PCs, Palm-sized PCs, Pocket PCs or SmartPhones with
    >> Windows CE, Windows CE.NET or Windows Mobile and Hitachi SH3, Hitachi
    >> SH4, MIPS or ARM (StrongARM, XScale) compatible processors. All Casio
    >> PocketManagers with Windows CE and MIPS-compatible processors.
    >>
    >> Q: Where can I download a demo copy?
    >> A: http://www.pocketdos.com
    >>
    >> Any queries should be addressed to the PocketDOS support forum in the
    >> "Support" section of the PocketDOS website.
    >> --
    >> PocketDOS - Adds DOS compatibility to your Pocket Computer.

  7. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    n0p's Dosbox (or other 386 emulators) MAY be able to do this. I'll check
    this out for my forthcoming x86 Emulator Roundup.

    See for example http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=152342

    "Armando" wrote in message
    > Do You know a W95 emulator (to be executed on a WM5 PPC) with support to
    > serial COM port?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Armando

  8. Re: ANN: New version of PocketDOS available (v1.12.0)

    Hello,
    another thing.
    How many serial ports are supported?
    Best regards