Symbol PPT8864 rebuild question - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Symbol PPT8864 rebuild question - Windows CE ; 1) I have run across Symbol PPT8864 wireless handheld with barcode scanners. They come from the hospital use and its OS has been altered by Patient Care System called "Point of Care". I assume this is custom build of WinCE ...

  1. Symbol PPT8864 rebuild question

    1) I have run across Symbol PPT8864 wireless handheld with barcode
    scanners. They come from the hospital use and its OS has been altered
    by Patient Care System called "Point of Care". I assume this is custom
    build of WinCE distribution built by Patient Care System. I would like
    to erase the entire system and rebuild handheld with default WindowsCE
    NET 4.1 OS image.

    2) besides technicaly issues and much head ache license question.
    How does Windows CE operating system license work? I have 24 above
    mentioned symbol device which I need to rebuild and each unit comes
    with WindowsCE NET 4.1 COA. Can NET 4.1 be upgraded to NET 4.2? or
    does it require pay/seperate COA?

    What about putting WinCE 5 or even WinCE6? Is there's even update
    available at all?

    I have some experiences with mobile devices and they were ZaurusSL5500
    with openzaurus + einstein and an actual MP2000.

  2. Re: Symbol PPT8864 rebuild question

    On 9 May 2007 17:00:50 -0700, oktokie wrote:

    >1) I have run across Symbol PPT8864 wireless handheld with barcode
    >scanners. They come from the hospital use and its OS has been altered
    >by Patient Care System called "Point of Care". I assume this is custom
    >build of WinCE distribution built by Patient Care System. I would like
    >to erase the entire system and rebuild handheld with default WindowsCE
    >NET 4.1 OS image.

    I don't know anything about Patient Care System, but my hunch is that
    they did not create or order custom ROM. Thus, the devices are
    probably stock with software added by Patient Care System. A hard
    reset may well restore them to factory fresh; if you can't figure out
    the buttons, remove the battery and leave it out for a while (maybe 30
    minutes).

    If that doesn't work, then the software is likely loaded in some sort
    of persistent memory; look for a folder called IPSM, Storage Card, or
    some variant. You will also need to disable the pointer(s) that start
    the software. Use ActiveSync to explore the device. Look for icons in
    \Windows\Startup
    or
    \Windows\Start\Startup

    If none of the above are sufficient, let us (collectively) know so we
    can try again.

    >2) besides technicaly issues and much head ache license question.
    >How does Windows CE operating system license work? I have 24 above
    >mentioned symbol device which I need to rebuild and each unit comes
    >with WindowsCE NET 4.1 COA. Can NET 4.1 be upgraded to NET 4.2? or
    >does it require pay/seperate COA?
    >
    >What about putting WinCE 5 or even WinCE6? Is there's even update
    >available at all?

    Windows CE is never available as a separate retail product. For retail
    products, upgrades are always the responsibility of the device OEM
    (original equipment manufacturer, or some major vendors like cell
    phone carriers. For your devices, that means Symbol.

    You might be able to use Platform Builder to build and install a
    custom version of Windows CE. But that costs $1000 and takes several
    months to learn. And you would still need to figure out how to load
    the result; I suspect you wouldn't get much help from Symbol. For more
    help on this approach, try a newsgroup frequented by folks who use
    Platform Builder, perhaps microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder

    >I have some experiences with mobile devices and they were ZaurusSL5500
    >with openzaurus + einstein and an actual MP2000.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116