Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming - Windows CE ; Hi, i have an Casio Handhead Terminal for the barcode reading with the Windows CE 4.10. I need to create a software for the management of the data but i don't know how to create it. I know C, Java ...

  1. Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming

    Hi,
    i have an Casio Handhead Terminal for the barcode reading with the
    Windows CE 4.10. I need to create a software for the management of the
    data but i don't know how to create it. I know C, Java and other
    programming language but i have two problem:

    1) How can i create a software in some programming language and then
    put it in operation inside the Terminal?
    I know that there is a Windows CE emulator called Platform builder. Is
    it useful? And with it how can i create this software?

    2) How can i know which procedures i must use to obtain the input from
    the optical terminal ?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming

    On 19 Apr 2007 14:15:07 -0700, Lucio wrote:

    >Hi,
    >i have an Casio Handhead Terminal for the barcode reading with the
    >Windows CE 4.10. I need to create a software for the management of the
    >data but i don't know how to create it. I know C, Java and other
    >programming language but i have two problem:

    You might be able to use Java, but Microsoft has had an "uneven
    relationship" with it.

    You can certainly use C. The base (Windows32) functions are written
    for a C interface. You can also use C++ (I do). But Microsoft favors
    VB.NET and C#.

    >1) How can i create a software in some programming language and then
    >put it in operation inside the Terminal?
    >I know that there is a Windows CE emulator called Platform builder. Is
    >it useful? And with it how can i create this software?

    Platform Builder is not an emulator. It is a tool for building custom
    versions of the Windows CE operating system. Casio used it to build
    the version of Windows CE you're using. It is not for building
    applications. It is also relatively expensive (~$1000 US) and hard to
    learn (several months).

    >2) How can i know which procedures i must use to obtain the input from
    >the optical terminal ?

    Before doing much of any development, you need to understand the
    concept of "platform". A platform is base operating system (in this
    case Windows CE0 with tweaks (additions, modifications, omissions),
    hardware specifications, and bundled applications. Pocket PC, Pocket
    PC 2003, and Windows Mobile 5 for Pocket PC are examples. For more
    information, see
    http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317
    http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/versions.htm

    To build an application for Windows CE, you need an SDK (Software
    Development Kit). Each SDK targets exactly one platform. With some
    care, you can use one SDK to build an executable that works on
    multiple platforms, but generally, you need to build separate
    executables for each platform you want to support.

    I found a page with specifications for the DT-X5. It said nothing
    about platform, so I assume it is a custom platform. That means you
    can't use any or the Pocket PC SDKs. You might be able to use the
    "Standard" SDK that ships with some of Microsoft's tools, but that is
    generally not worth much. You would be safest using the SDK Casio
    provided for the DT-X5. I actually use the SDK for HPC Pro, and I'm
    quite sure my apps will run on the DT-X5.

    Microsoft's official development tool for mobile applications is
    Visual Studio 2005. I don't use it yet, but I know you can't use the
    least expensive version; I'm not sure which is the least expensive
    version that will work. I'm pretty sure you'll have trouble finding an
    SDK compatible with your device and Visual Studio 2005.

    I'm pretty sure you can still get copies of eVC (eMbedded Visual C) 3
    and eVC 4. If you decide to use the SDK from Casio, it will say which
    compiler you need to use. The HPC Pro SDK definitely works with eVC 3.
    It might work with eVC 4, but I've never tried. You can try going to
    www.microsoft.com and using the Search box.

    A program can get data from the barcode scanner either of two ways. It
    can use the SDK from the manufacturer, and thus functions in that SDK.
    Or it can rely on the keyboard wedge that comes with the scanner. A
    keyboard wedge is a program that accepts data from the scanner and
    then mimics a keyboard to send the data to whatever window has focus.
    The first method is a bit more reliable, but ties apps to specific
    scanners. The second method allows support for multiple scanners, but
    works only if users let the right window have focus. I almost always
    use the second method, and have not had complaints.

    If you decide to use C/C++, you should check
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer. If you decide to use VB.NET or
    C#, you should check
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework . Either way, the
    word "newbie" is useful, not derogatory; use google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    newbie
    in any newsgroup you think might be useful.

    I am definitely biased (we sell a program that does all this), but
    really do believe buying is often less expensive, and even more often
    faster, than building your own.

    >Thanks for the help.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming

    Ok, as you suggest i have installed Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 and the
    SDK for HPC Pro.
    I have seen that in embedded Visual C++ you can choose the type of
    Terminal (Pochet PC 2002, Smartphone 2002, and H/PC Pro 2.11) and the
    Processor (ARM, MIPS, SH3, SH4, X86em : all Release or Debug). I have
    written some simple program to test the terminal. The first time i
    have written a typical Hello World application to test on a Pocket PC
    QTek. I have choosen Pocket Pc 2002 and Processor ARM Debug and the
    application works on the Terminal.
    I have seen that my Casio Terminal's processor is SH7705 type so i
    have choosen H/PC Pro 2.11 and SH3 Debug for a simple program to test
    the terminal.
    The program is :

    #include "windows.h"

    //
    // Program entry point
    //
    int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    LPWSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) {
    printf("Hi");
    return 0;
    }

    When i upload the exe file on the terminal and i launch it the
    terminal "freeze" himself and i must reboot it.
    I have tried all the other processors but for each exe file of the
    others processors the terminal says a message like this "I can't run
    the hi.exe file". Only the exe file for the SH3 processor run but
    freeze the terminal.
    Do you know why?
    Thanks for the help!

  4. Re: Handhead Terminal Casio DT-X5 and windows CE programming

    On 28 Apr 2007 08:54:12 -0700, Lucio wrote:

    >Ok, as you suggest i have installed Embedded Visual Tools 3.0 and the
    >SDK for HPC Pro.
    >I have seen that in embedded Visual C++ you can choose the type of
    >Terminal (Pochet PC 2002, Smartphone 2002, and H/PC Pro 2.11) and the
    >Processor (ARM, MIPS, SH3, SH4, X86em : all Release or Debug). I have
    >written some simple program to test the terminal. The first time i
    >have written a typical Hello World application to test on a Pocket PC
    >QTek. I have choosen Pocket Pc 2002 and Processor ARM Debug and the
    >application works on the Terminal.
    >I have seen that my Casio Terminal's processor is SH7705 type so i
    >have choosen H/PC Pro 2.11 and SH3 Debug for a simple program to test
    >the terminal.
    >The program is :
    >
    >#include "windows.h"
    >
    >//
    >// Program entry point
    >//
    >int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    >LPWSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) {
    >printf("Hi");

    The device probably doesn't have a command line, and thus has no place
    for printf to send its output. Try using MessageBox instead.

    >return 0;
    >}
    >
    >When i upload the exe file on the terminal and i launch it the
    >terminal "freeze" himself and i must reboot it.
    >I have tried all the other processors but for each exe file of the
    >others processors the terminal says a message like this "I can't run
    >the hi.exe file". Only the exe file for the SH3 processor run but
    >freeze the terminal.
    >Do you know why?
    >Thanks for the help!

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP