How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0 - Windows CE

This is a discussion on How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0 - Windows CE ; Hello group, I have already asked about the same Q. 6 months ago in this same NG - with much detail. Using Google Groups I found again my old post as well as the following answer (by Paul G. Tobey): ...

  1. How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0

    Hello group,
    I have already asked about the same Q. 6 months ago in
    this same NG - with much detail. Using Google Groups I found again
    my old post as well as the following answer (by Paul G. Tobey):

    > You install that MSI on the PC. The next time you sync
    >the PDA, via ActiveSync, with the PC, you will get a chance to install
    >the appropriate item on the PDA.

    With this answer I somehow managed to do the desired install, whether
    properly I can't say, but at least the application for which I needed
    the .net CF 2.0 on my PDA seemed to work after that - except for
    problems that I guess have other causes, but in principle this is only
    a guess. But now:

    Lost my PDA, bought a new one (same manufacturer, same model
    series) so I have to repeat this installation. I have tried to somehow
    use the above answer, but what I did is rather 'wild', but again it
    seems to have done the job, but I think there might be a risk that
    some time later (for instance when the appl. tries to do something
    unusual, say because of a seldom error condition) the appl. might
    crash and I'd not realize that an incomplete install. of .net CF 2.0
    might be the cause.

    Could someone explain me what could be the "appropriate item"
    mentioned in the quote above ?

  2. Re: How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:17:33 +0200, Ulysse from CH
    wrote:

    >Hello group,
    > I have already asked about the same Q. 6 months ago in
    >this same NG - with much detail. Using Google Groups I found again
    >my old post as well as the following answer (by Paul G. Tobey):
    >
    >> You install that MSI on the PC. The next time you sync
    >>the PDA, via ActiveSync, with the PC, you will get a chance to install
    >>the appropriate item on the PDA.

    >With this answer I somehow managed to do the desired install, whether
    >properly I can't say, but at least the application for which I needed
    >the .net CF 2.0 on my PDA seemed to work after that - except for
    >problems that I guess have other causes, but in principle this is only
    >a guess. But now:
    >
    >Lost my PDA, bought a new one (same manufacturer, same model
    >series) so I have to repeat this installation. I have tried to somehow
    >use the above answer, but what I did is rather 'wild', but again it
    >seems to have done the job, but I think there might be a risk that
    >some time later (for instance when the appl. tries to do something
    >unusual, say because of a seldom error condition) the appl. might
    >crash and I'd not realize that an incomplete install. of .net CF 2.0
    >might be the cause.
    >
    >Could someone explain me what could be the "appropriate item"
    >mentioned in the quote above ?

    When you "installed" Compact Framework on your desktop, you really
    just made the setup files available for ActiveSync, which ran the
    actual installation next time you connected. If you haven't done
    anything to your PC, the files are still there, and you should see
    something when you use Tools->Add/Remove programs from the ActiveSync
    window. And that should trigger a complete installation on your new
    PDA.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:12:13 -0500, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:17:33 +0200, Ulysse from CH
    > wrote:
    >>Hello group,
    >> I have already asked about the same Q. 6 months ago in
    >>this same NG - with much detail. Using Google Groups I found again
    >>my old post as well as the following answer (by Paul G. Tobey):
    >>> You install that MSI on the PC. The next time you sync
    >>>the PDA, via ActiveSync, with the PC, you will get a chance to install
    >>>the appropriate item on the PDA.

    >>(...)
    >>
    >>Could someone explain me what could be the "appropriate item"
    >>mentioned in the quote above ?

    >When you "installed" Compact Framework on your desktop, you really
    >just made the setup files available for ActiveSync, which ran the
    >actual installation next time you connected. If you haven't done
    >anything to your PC, the files are still there, and you should see
    >something when you use Tools->Add/Remove programs from the ActiveSync
    >window. And that should trigger a complete installation on your new
    >PDA. (...)

    Thank you very much. And it's as simple as that ! (And I guess that
    this applies to many other SW installations on the PDA via ActiveSync)
    Nevertheless you are the first person who tells me this. (I think,
    I have not noticed this menu-element of ActiveSync before. Now
    I looked what the help of Act.Sync tells about it and it's not quite
    easy to understand (enough to apply in a practical case), apparently
    this is not so standardized - the maker of the PDA-SW for which I need
    the Compact Framework vers.2 gives in his website another install
    process for his product (*) - but at least Microsoft PDA SW will be
    installable this way per default, I guess.

    I take the opportunity to ask ->another question<- - because
    it concerns an 'incident' which happened also after applying your tip.
    In fact, after using ActiveSync - for the sync. of my 'to do' s and
    calendar data as well as after using [the German equivalent of]
    Tools->Add programs) I got the following error message on my new PDA
    (never on the old one which had not been used before my purchase):

    Translation into English by me (so message on PDAs with English
    Windows Mobile OS may be slightly different):

    Error message 'window' title:
    ----------------------------
    "Put Pocket PC into network"

    Message text: "Impossible to get an IP address assigned by the server.
    Try later or enter an address into the net parameters"

    This did not prevent the correct sync. of 'to do' s and calendar
    content, as it seems, so I hope that this also made no (hidden)
    problem when I used "Add/R. Programs". But could you tell me:
    what does this mean exactly *and/or* how can I get rid of this
    message occurrence (if I recall well, not only when sync'ing, but
    may-be never when PDA is not linked to PC) ?

    (*) and when I asked him the Q. that is the subject in this thread,
    he answered "Sorry but I think it may be safer for you to show those
    instructions to someone with you, rather than me try to give advice
    from here" (but I have no one "with me" I could have asked ...)
    So it seems that many people - even some of those much involved with
    PDA SW - don't know the simple answer !

  4. Re: How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:03:47 +0200, Ulysse from CH
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:12:13 -0500, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:17:33 +0200, Ulysse from CH
    >> wrote:
    >>>Hello group,
    >>> I have already asked about the same Q. 6 months ago in
    >>>this same NG - with much detail. Using Google Groups I found again
    >>>my old post as well as the following answer (by Paul G. Tobey):
    >>>
    >>>(...)
    >>>
    >>>Could someone explain me what could be the "appropriate item"
    >>>mentioned in the quote above ?

    >>When you "installed" Compact Framework on your desktop, you really
    >>just made the setup files available for ActiveSync, which ran the
    >>actual installation next time you connected. If you haven't done
    >>anything to your PC, the files are still there, and you should see
    >>something when you use Tools->Add/Remove programs from the ActiveSync
    >>window. And that should trigger a complete installation on your new
    >>PDA. (...)
    >>

    >Thank you very much. And it's as simple as that ! (And I guess that
    >this applies to many other SW installations on the PDA via ActiveSync)

    It's essentially a standard. The installation tools from Microsoft
    create installations that work this way. And although many programs
    don't bother getting an official logo from Microsoft, this behavior is
    required for those that do.

    >Nevertheless you are the first person who tells me this. (I think,

    The info is around and public, but maybe not in places that are always
    obvious.

    >I have not noticed this menu-element of ActiveSync before. Now
    >I looked what the help of Act.Sync tells about it and it's not quite
    >easy to understand (enough to apply in a practical case), apparently
    >this is not so standardized - the maker of the PDA-SW for which I need
    >the Compact Framework vers.2 gives in his website another install
    >process for his product (*) - but at least Microsoft PDA SW will be
    >installable this way per default, I guess.
    >
    >I take the opportunity to ask ->another question<- - because
    >it concerns an 'incident' which happened also after applying your tip.
    >In fact, after using ActiveSync - for the sync. of my 'to do' s and
    >calendar data as well as after using [the German equivalent of]
    >Tools->Add programs) I got the following error message on my new PDA
    >(never on the old one which had not been used before my purchase):
    >
    >Translation into English by me (so message on PDAs with English
    >Windows Mobile OS may be slightly different):
    >
    >Error message 'window' title:
    >----------------------------
    >"Put Pocket PC into network"
    >
    >Message text: "Impossible to get an IP address assigned by the server.
    >Try later or enter an address into the net parameters"

    Sorry, but I have no direct info about this error. I strongly
    recommend using Google Advanced Newsgroup to look up a chunk of the
    actual error message (use Exact Match). You should probably also put
    ActiveSync in the All Words box. For English it's at
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search, but you might want to
    use the German version of the web site and the actual message in
    German.

    Also, if you do still need help, you really should start a new thread,
    so folks with useful info can see it. And you might want to switch to
    microsoft.public.pocketpc

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  5. Re: How to install MS Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA 2.0

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:49:59 -0500, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:03:47 +0200, Ulysse from CH
    > wrote:
    >>)...) after using ActiveSync (...) I got the following error message on my new PDA
    >>(...): "Impossible to get an IP address assigned by the server.
    >>Try later or enter an address into the net parameters"

    >Sorry, but I have no direct info about this error. I strongly
    >recommend using Google Advanced Newsgroup to look up a chunk of the
    >actual error message (use Exact Match). You should probably also put
    >ActiveSync in the All Words box. For English it's at
    >http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search, but you might want to
    >use the German version of the web site and the actual message in
    >German.

    No, French, because my PDA "speaks" French ... it's my PC that
    "speaks" German (because I bought it in the city Zurich where I live)
    .... the PDA is 2nd hand and the former user lives in Lausanne where
    they speak French - and he comes from the italian part of Switzerland
    .... ! but this is a detail - Ge, Fr and It are the 3 main languages of
    my country. Having lived myself until I was 27 mainly in Lausanne,
    French is no problem for me, nor is German (where my parents came
    from), English I'm less good at and Italian even less ...

    Using the URL above, I was directly routed to a French website -
    because I like using French and gave therefore my browser that
    language as my preference for websites that exist in several
    languages. And I found that someone had asked about the exact French
    message which I get ! Badly enough, the answers (s)he got seem
    useless for me and may-be also for the person who asked ...

    >Also, if you do still need help, you really should start a new thread,
    >so folks with useful info can see it. And you might want to switch to
    >microsoft.public.pocketpc

    .... which has even a more specific newsgroup 'under it'
    for ActiveSync. I have just posted there, mainly hoping to get first
    the exact wording of my error message in English Windows Mobile.

+ Reply to Thread