Sync using USB? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Sync using USB? - Windows CE ; I've just acquired a Handheld PC with Windows CE 3. It's the first CE device I've used. It looks as if it could be useful if not for one small problemette. I don't have a serial interface cable for it. ...

  1. Sync using USB?

    I've just acquired a Handheld PC with Windows CE 3. It's the first CE
    device I've used. It looks as if it could be useful if not for one small
    problemette. I don't have a serial interface cable for it. It has USB
    but apparently can't sync to my desktop machine using it. Is there any
    way around this, other than buying a new cable?

    Failing that is there any other way of installing new programs on it,
    perhaps by copying them on to a CF card?

    --
    Bernard Peek
    back in search of cognoscenti

  2. Re: Sync using USB?

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:23:11 +0000, Bernard Peek
    wrote:

    >I've just acquired a Handheld PC with Windows CE 3. It's the first CE

    This is not quite an adequate description. You could mean HPC 2000,
    which was based on version 3 of the Windows CE operating system. Or
    you could mean HPC Pro for Windows CE 3, which was based on version
    2.11 of the Windows CE operating system. If you tell us the actual
    manufacturer and model, one of us could probably figure out the rest.

    >device I've used. It looks as if it could be useful if not for one small
    >problemette. I don't have a serial interface cable for it. It has USB
    >but apparently can't sync to my desktop machine using it. Is there any
    >way around this, other than buying a new cable?

    It might well depend on the version of ActiveSync you are using. I'm
    pretty sure version 4.x (where "x" >= 0) won't support such "old"
    hardware. I'm also pretty sure versions of ActiveSync before 3.8 had
    troubles with USB. So I suggest getting and trying ActiveSync 3.8. I
    _think_ it's available free on Microsoft's site.

    >Failing that is there any other way of installing new programs on it,
    >perhaps by copying them on to a CF card?

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116