porting multimedia application to WinCE 5.0 - Windows CE

This is a discussion on porting multimedia application to WinCE 5.0 - Windows CE ; Hi, I was planning to port a full-functioning managed application (C#, .NET framework) to a Windows CE device ( Toradex Colibri Development Board, http://www.toradex.com/e/ Factsheet_Colibri_Intel_Marvell_XScale_PXA_Compute r_Modules.php#Colibri_Evaluation_Board ), but I doubt this is going to work out due to the restricted ...

  1. porting multimedia application to WinCE 5.0

    Hi,

    I was planning to port a full-functioning managed application
    (C#, .NET framework) to a Windows CE device ( Toradex Colibri
    Development Board, http://www.toradex.com/e/
    Factsheet_Colibri_Intel_Marvell_XScale_PXA_Compute r_Modules.php#Colibri_Evaluation_Board ),
    but I doubt this is going to work out due to the restricted
    functionality of the OS.

    The existing project makes it possible for the visually impaired or
    blind amongst us to aim & shoot at a shooting range on the basis of
    audio signal guidance. A scope with build-in webcam sends frames of
    the target to a C# program by USB interface. The software then
    converts the received images (image processing by using gaussian
    filter etc.) into perceptible audio signals, which point out the
    direction of the bull's eye.

    The original application is making use of GDI+ & the Directx 9.0c
    runtime, which isn't supported in WinCE. Furthermore I have to go
    downwards from a .NET framework based to a .NET Compact Framework
    based application => adjustments will have to be made & a lot of
    functionaliteit will probably get lost.
    A basic webcam driver that targets the Windows CE operating system
    isn't been out yet for a year, in addition the only webcam currently
    supported decent is the Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000.
    So multimedia processing on a WinCE platform seems to be still in its
    infancy.

    As I'm seeing it now WinCE is too slow & restricted in terms of
    multimedia and video & audio signal processing to succesfully port
    this application which is rather complex, would there be any chance
    according to you guys?

    I guess in this specific case it's better to look out for a single
    board computer with supports Windows XP Embedded (.NET framework 2.0 &
    DirectX 9.0c)?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: porting multimedia application to WinCE 5.0

    On 9 feb, 20:59, "FCBfreak" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was planning to port a full-functioning managed application
    > (C#, .NET framework) to a Windows CE device ( Toradex Colibri
    > Development Board,http://www.toradex.com/e/
    > Factsheet_Colibri_Intel_Marvell_XScale_PXA_Compute r_Modules.php#Colibri_Eva*luation_Board ),
    > but I doubt this is going to work out due to the restricted
    > functionality of the OS.
    >
    > The existing project makes it possible for the visually impaired or
    > blind amongst us to aim & shoot at a shooting range on the basis of
    > audio signal guidance. A scope with build-in webcam sends frames of
    > the target to a C# program by USB interface. The software then
    > converts the received images (image processing by using gaussian
    > filter etc.) into perceptible audio signals, which point out the
    > direction of the bull's eye.
    >
    > The original application is making use of GDI+ & the Directx 9.0c
    > runtime, which isn't supported in WinCE. Furthermore I have to go
    > downwards from a .NET framework based to a .NET Compact Framework
    > based application => adjustments will have to be made & a lot of
    > functionaliteit will probably get lost.
    > A basic webcam driver that targets the Windows CE operating system
    > isn't been out yet for a year, in addition the only webcam currently
    > supported decent is the Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000.
    > So multimedia processing on a WinCE platform seems to be still in its
    > infancy.
    >
    > As I'm seeing it now WinCE is too slow & restricted in terms of
    > multimedia and video & audio signal processing to succesfully port
    > this application which is rather complex, would there be any chance
    > according to you guys?
    >
    > I guess in this specific case it's better to look out for a single
    > board computer with supports Windows XP Embedded (.NET framework 2.0 &
    > DirectX 9.0c)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I guess I'll have to go for a board that supports Windows XP Embedded
    then.

    Of the 400 or so functions that exist on desktop versions of GDI, only
    about 85 are included in Windows CE. Windows CE has none of the
    drawing functions from the extended desktop graphics library, GDI+.
    This places some limits on the extent to which Windows CE can
    support .NET drawing functions.

    To perform detection and gaussian filtering on captured frames (bitmap
    conversion) the .NET Framework Drawing Namespace
    "System.Drawing.Imaging" is required, unfortunately this namespace
    isn't supported in the .NET Compact Framework.

    Windows XP Embedded seems to be a minimal solution for this specific
    project which is based on quite a few technologies (GDI+, .NET
    framework, DirectX are all supported by Windows XP Embedded).

+ Reply to Thread