help new to windows ce - Windows CE

This is a discussion on help new to windows ce - Windows CE ; i have found a computer on ebay (arcom elan 104 nc) which will run windows ce 3.0,they did do a windows ce set cd,but not now. does anybody know if i can purchase windows ce 3.0 on cd,if so where ...

  1. help new to windows ce

    i have found a computer on ebay (arcom elan 104 nc) which will run windows
    ce 3.0,they did do a windows ce set cd,but not now.
    does anybody know if i can purchase windows ce 3.0 on cd,if so where from in
    the uk.
    thanks
    darren

  2. Re: help new to windows ce

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:31:31 GMT, "joan green"
    wrote:

    >i have found a computer on ebay (arcom elan 104 nc) which will run windows
    >ce 3.0,they did do a windows ce set cd,but not now.
    >does anybody know if i can purchase windows ce 3.0 on cd,if so where from in
    >the uk.

    Windows CE is _never_ available for sale as a separate product. Also,
    upgrades are entirely the responsibility of OEMs (the folks who make
    the devices) and/or the folks who "rebrand" them (cell phone carriers
    and a few big vendors). In your case, I think that means Arcan.

    I think www.arcon.com is the web site for your device, so I think it
    is a specialized device. But I didn't find any explicitly
    documentation about the device. If you post a more specific reference,
    I might be able to help more. The rest of this note will be
    appropriate for "generic" retail devices and may apply only partially
    to your device.

    The operating system is in ROM. It can be upgraded, but only via
    special procedures. The good news is that restoring a device to
    factory fresh requires only a "hard" reset; no need to reinstall.

    The "Windows CE" CD that ships with Windows CE devices does not
    contain the operating system in any form. It contains utility
    programs:
    1) A program to synchronize data on the device with Outlook on a
    "desktop". For all but the earliest and most recent devices, this is
    ActiveSync
    2) A copy of Outlook
    3) Games, utilities. Mostly trial packages.
    ActiveSync is available free from Microsoft's web site. Outlook is
    available from other sources, although not for free. The other stuff
    is usually not worth bothering with.

    >thanks
    >darren

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP