Ram usage of Windows ce - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Ram usage of Windows ce - Windows CE ; How much RAM does Windows CE use approximately? I've got 32 MB Ram and there is only 17 MB left for storage and program memory. Is the rest used for the OS? Thank you G...

  1. Ram usage of Windows ce

    How much RAM does Windows CE use approximately? I've got 32 MB Ram and
    there is only 17 MB left for storage and program memory. Is the rest
    used for the OS?

    Thank you

  2. Re: Ram usage of Windows ce

    On 23 Jan 2007 00:01:10 -0800, "schliz" wrote:

    >How much RAM does Windows CE use approximately? I've got 32 MB Ram and
    >there is only 17 MB left for storage and program memory. Is the rest
    >used for the OS?

    How much the OS/platform uses varies quite a bit, depending on
    version, platform, and personal tweaking. WM 5 for Pocket PC uses
    quite a bit more than Pocket PC 2003, which uses quite a bit more than
    HPC 2.0.

    Platforms before WM 5 used RAM for "disk" space (program storage), so
    installed programs use up RAM even when they aren't running. WM 5 uses
    persistent storage for "disk" space, so installed programs don't take
    up RAM unless they are running; but now that I took a closer look, I'm
    not sure what Settings->System->Memory is "looking" at (RAM,
    persistent memory, both?).

    I'm going to ask about Settings->System->Memory in
    microsoft.public.pocketpc

    >Thank you

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: Ram usage of Windows ce

    Thank you very much for your explanation.

    So there is approximately 15 MB RAM for the running Windows CE 5.0
    including the programs I started at this time. Is that correct?

    Georg

    On 23 Jan., 18:58, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    > On 23 Jan 2007 00:01:10 -0800, "schliz" wrote:
    >
    > >How much RAM does Windows CE use approximately? I've got 32 MB Ram and
    > >there is only 17 MB left for storage and program memory. Is the rest
    > >used for the OS?How much the OS/platform uses varies quite a bit, depending on

    > version, platform, and personal tweaking. WM 5 for Pocket PC uses
    > quite a bit more than Pocket PC 2003, which uses quite a bit more than
    > HPC 2.0.
    >
    > Platforms before WM 5 used RAM for "disk" space (program storage), so
    > installed programs use up RAM even when they aren't running. WM 5 uses
    > persistent storage for "disk" space, so installed programs don't take
    > up RAM unless they are running; but now that I took a closer look, I'm
    > not sure what Settings->System->Memory is "looking" at (RAM,
    > persistent memory, both?).
    >
    > I'm going to ask about Settings->System->Memory in
    > microsoft.public.pocketpc
    >

    > >Thank you
    > >G-----------------------------------------

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    > Boston, MA 02116www.penfact.com

  4. Re: Ram usage of Windows ce

    On 23 Jan 2007 22:46:00 -0800, "schliz" wrote:

    >Thank you very much for your explanation.
    >
    >So there is approximately 15 MB RAM for the running Windows CE 5.0
    >including the programs I started at this time. Is that correct?

    I don't have enough info to answer the question. What _platform_
    (Pocket PC, Smartphone, ....) are you using? How are you measuring?
    What do you mean by "running"?

    I got a good answer to my question in microsoft.public.pocketpc; it
    might help you.

    >Georg
    >
    >On 23 Jan., 18:58, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    >> On 23 Jan 2007 00:01:10 -0800, "schliz" wrote:
    >>
    >> >How much RAM does Windows CE use approximately? I've got 32 MB Ram and
    >> >there is only 17 MB left for storage and program memory. Is the rest
    >> >used for the OS?How much the OS/platform uses varies quite a bit, depending on

    >> version, platform, and personal tweaking. WM 5 for Pocket PC uses
    >> quite a bit more than Pocket PC 2003, which uses quite a bit more than
    >> HPC 2.0.
    >>
    >> Platforms before WM 5 used RAM for "disk" space (program storage), so
    >> installed programs use up RAM even when they aren't running. WM 5 uses
    >> persistent storage for "disk" space, so installed programs don't take
    >> up RAM unless they are running; but now that I took a closer look, I'm
    >> not sure what Settings->System->Memory is "looking" at (RAM,
    >> persistent memory, both?).
    >>
    >> I'm going to ask about Settings->System->Memory in
    >> microsoft.public.pocketpc
    >>

    >> >Thank you
    >> >G-----------------------------------------

    >> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >>
    >> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >> PenFact, Inc.
    >> 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    >> Boston, MA 02116www.penfact.com

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  5. Re: Ram usage of Windows ce

    On 25 Jan., 21:00, r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    > On 23 Jan 2007 22:46:00 -0800, "schliz" wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you very much for your explanation.

    > >So there is approximately 15 MB RAM for the running Windows CE 5.0
    > >including the programs I started at this time. Is that correct?

    > I don't have enough info to answer the question. What _platform_
    > (Pocket PC, Smartphone, ....) are you using? How are you measuring?
    > What do you mean by "running"?
    >
    > I got a good answer to my question in microsoft.public.pocketpc; it
    > might help you.
    >

    > >Georg

    > >> version, platform, and personal tweaking. WM 5 for Pocket PC uses
    > >> quite a bit more than Pocket PC 2003, which uses quite a bit more than
    > >> HPC 2.0.

    > >> Platforms before WM 5 used RAM for "disk" space (program storage), so
    > >> installed programs use up RAM even when they aren't running. WM 5 uses
    > >> persistent storage for "disk" space, so installed programs don't take
    > >> up RAM unless they are running; but now that I took a closer look, I'm
    > >> not sure what Settings->System->Memory is "looking" at (RAM,
    > >> persistent memory, both?).

    > >> I'm going to ask about Settings->System->Memory in
    > >> microsoft.public.pocketpc

    > >> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).

    > >> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > >> PenFact, Inc.
    > >> 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    > >> Boston, MA 02116www.penfact.com

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    > Boston, MA 02116www.penfact.com- Zitierten Text ausblenden -