Anyway to upgrade Windows CE 3.0 (Compaq iPAQ 3630) ? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Anyway to upgrade Windows CE 3.0 (Compaq iPAQ 3630) ? - Windows CE ; Hi there, Because my appointments and such are increasing a little, and I somewhat consider my trusty old Psion 5mx a little too old, I dug up my Compaq iPAQ 3660 and reconfigured it to suit my needs. Allthough I ...

  1. Anyway to upgrade Windows CE 3.0 (Compaq iPAQ 3630) ?

    Hi there,

    Because my appointments and such are increasing a little, and I somewhat
    consider my trusty old Psion 5mx a little too old, I dug up my Compaq iPAQ 3660
    and reconfigured it to suit my needs. Allthough I haven't really used this
    device much yet (I initially bought it second hand to play a little with it)
    I'm really starting to enjoy its versatility.

    Which brings me to keeping the device up to date...

    I know its a little late to talk about Windows CE 3.0 while Microsoft has
    already released version 5.0 of their mobile Windows versions but can someone
    tell me if its actually possible to update this machine's OS ? So far I managed
    to get a ROM update from the HP website and now I'm looking at the software...

    From what I read so far on the Windows CE homepage:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/w...e/default.aspx

    .... some updates are still available and can be downloaded from the "update
    page", which can be found here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/d...e/default.aspx

    .... but unfortunatly the updates for Windows CE 3.0 which you can download from
    that page all require the use of something called a "CE platform builder". Can
    anyone enlighten me if its still possible to download this for CE 3.0 ?

    --
    Groetjes, Peter

    ..\\ PGP/GPG key: http://www.catslair.org/pubkey.asc

  2. Re: Anyway to upgrade Windows CE 3.0 (Compaq iPAQ 3630) ?

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:04:47 -0000, Lion-O
    wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Because my appointments and such are increasing a little, and I somewhat
    >consider my trusty old Psion 5mx a little too old, I dug up my Compaq iPAQ 3660
    >and reconfigured it to suit my needs. Allthough I haven't really used this
    >device much yet (I initially bought it second hand to play a little with it)
    >I'm really starting to enjoy its versatility.
    >
    >Which brings me to keeping the device up to date...
    >
    >I know its a little late to talk about Windows CE 3.0 while Microsoft has
    >already released version 5.0 of their mobile Windows versions but can someone
    >tell me if its actually possible to update this machine's OS ? So far I managed
    >to get a ROM update from the HP website and now I'm looking at the software...

    The Windows CE operating system never runs on its own. Rather, it runs
    as part of a "platform" which combines operating system, hardware, and
    applications. Your 3660 came with the original Pocket PC platform, now
    known as Pocket PC 2000. So you need to look for newer versions of
    Pocket PC. For more info, see:
    http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317

    What software? If you're trying to update the platform or the
    applications (Pocket Word, etc.) that come with it, then you need to
    know they are all in ROM, and thus replaced/updated as part of the ROM
    update.

    For Windows CE and platforms (like Pocket PC), operating system
    upgrades are entirely the responsibilities of OEMs, the companies that
    build the devices. In your case, that would be Compaq, or perhaps HP.

    >From what I read so far on the Windows CE homepage:
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/w...e/default.aspx

    That is a link to a home page for developers who build applications
    and/or custom versions of the Windows CE operating system.

    >... some updates are still available and can be downloaded from the "update
    >page", which can be found here:
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/d...e/default.aspx

    That is definitely for OEMs and folks who build custom versions of the
    operating system. Definitely _not_ for retail users.

    >... but unfortunatly the updates for Windows CE 3.0 which you can download from
    >that page all require the use of something called a "CE platform builder". Can
    >anyone enlighten me if its still possible to download this for CE 3.0 ?

    Platform Builder is the tool used to build custom versions of the
    Windows CE operating system. I _think_ it is available for download.
    But it costs > $1000 U.S. and is decidedly not trivial to use.

    I just used google (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to
    look up
    iPAQ 3660 upgrade
    (exact phrase) and got 3 hits. Two provide links to a Pocket PC 2002
    upgrade. And the same two suggest a more appropriate newsgroup for
    questions about your iPAQ.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478