Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware.. - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware.. - Windows CE ; Hi !! I need some information regarding following things .. We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware contains motherboard X86 and with enough ...

  1. Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Hi !!
    I need some information regarding following things ..
    We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are
    planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware
    contains motherboard X86 and with enough RAM digicard etc.
    Is it possible to move with windows CE 5.0 or any version ?
    If it is possible what kind of change (hardware or any other changes)
    we should keep in mind for that..??

    Thank in Advance..

    Regards

    Navin Salunke

  2. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Yes, it's probably possible. The type of processor, the amount of RAM, what
    boot device you will use, etc. are all variables that will require
    investigation. You will not be running Windows CE with 640k of RAM. Some
    single-board computers will come with or have available for them Board
    Support Packages for Windows CE. If your board vendor has one, that will
    greatly simplify your porting effort.

    Paul T.

    "smartslack" wrote in message
    news:1167237303.766988.21270@42g2000cwt.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hi !!
    > I need some information regarding following things ..
    > We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are
    > planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware
    > contains motherboard X86 and with enough RAM digicard etc.
    > Is it possible to move with windows CE 5.0 or any version ?
    > If it is possible what kind of change (hardware or any other changes)
    > we should keep in mind for that..??
    >
    > Thank in Advance..
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Navin Salunke

  3. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Is the device driver for DIGIboard 4 channel ISA available for
    Windows CE..??

    Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:
    > Yes, it's probably possible. The type of processor, the amount of RAM, what
    > boot device you will use, etc. are all variables that will require
    > investigation. You will not be running Windows CE with 640k of RAM. Some
    > single-board computers will come with or have available for them Board
    > Support Packages for Windows CE. If your board vendor has one, that will
    > greatly simplify your porting effort.
    >
    > Paul T.
    >
    > "smartslack" wrote in message
    > news:1167237303.766988.21270@42g2000cwt.googlegrou ps.com...
    > > Hi !!
    > > I need some information regarding following things ..
    > > We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are
    > > planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware
    > > contains motherboard X86 and with enough RAM digicard etc.
    > > Is it possible to move with windows CE 5.0 or any version ?
    > > If it is possible what kind of change (hardware or any other changes)
    > > we should keep in mind for that..??
    > >
    > > Thank in Advance..
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Navin Salunke

  4. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Beats me. Microsoft doesn't have a huge library of internally written
    drivers for Windows CE, as it does for the desktop operating systems. The
    size of the Windows CE OS team is miniscule compared to Vista; maybe not
    even miniscule. Contact the DIGIboard people and ask them for the driver.
    If they don't have one and you can't find one to buy with Google, you could,
    conceivably, write one yourself. It's just four serial ports, right?

    news:1167277319.145036.256310@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Is the device driver for DIGIboard 4 channel ISA available for
    > Windows CE..??
    >
    > Paul G. Tobey [eMVP] wrote:
    >> Yes, it's probably possible. The type of processor, the amount of RAM,
    >> what
    >> boot device you will use, etc. are all variables that will require
    >> investigation. You will not be running Windows CE with 640k of RAM.
    >> Some
    >> single-board computers will come with or have available for them Board
    >> Support Packages for Windows CE. If your board vendor has one, that will
    >> greatly simplify your porting effort.
    >>
    >> Paul T.
    >>
    >> "smartslack" wrote in message
    >> news:1167237303.766988.21270@42g2000cwt.googlegrou ps.com...
    >> > Hi !!
    >> > I need some information regarding following things ..
    >> > We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are
    >> > planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware
    >> > contains motherboard X86 and with enough RAM digicard etc.
    >> > Is it possible to move with windows CE 5.0 or any version ?
    >> > If it is possible what kind of change (hardware or any other changes)
    >> > we should keep in mind for that..??
    >> >
    >> > Thank in Advance..
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> >
    >> > Navin Salunke

  5. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Thanks for sharing your knowledge it's helpful to me.. If you have more
    thing to guide me or to advise me kindly reply me.
    Wish you have a happy new year..

    Regards

    Navin

  6. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    We got the reply from DIGI international no driver is available for PCI
    OR ISA card for Windows CE. Finally it seem we have to write our own
    driver for windows CE. Any advise or comments..

    Regards

    Navin

  7. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Hi,

    you should have a description of the way your digiboard functions. You could
    maybe get this information out of the dos SDK that came with the board. If
    you had to load something in your dos config.sys or autoexec.bat, things are
    more complicated, as in that case, you probably didn't direct interact with
    the digiboard hardware.

    As far as I remember, a ISA digiboard had 4 or 8 uarts on it. You could
    select a port adress range for those 8. You also had a register you could
    read to find out which uart generated a interrupt. As the number of
    interrupts on the ISA bus were limited, all the uarts of the board generated
    the same interrupt. You had to read the byte at a specific port adress to
    find out which of the uarts needed service.

    The Comport drivers for the COMx port of a CEPC platform are a good starting
    point for your driver, since the hardware is much alike with that of the
    digiboard comports.

    regards,

    Luc

    "smartslack" wrote in message
    news:1167715172.611128.322010@42g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com...
    > We got the reply from DIGI international no driver is available for PCI
    > OR ISA card for Windows CE. Finally it seem we have to write our own
    > driver for windows CE. Any advise or comments..
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Navin

  8. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    You need Platform Builder, so that you can get samples of other serial
    drivers. You'll have to share an interrupt, as I suppose that all four or
    eight ports on the DigiBoard probably share a single interrupt, so read
    about that in the Platform Builder help. Budget three months or so to
    understand what you have to do, to make a first attempt at it, to ask
    questions about why it doesn't work, get the answers and implement the final
    solution.

    Paul T.

    "smartslack" wrote in message
    news:1167715172.611128.322010@42g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com...
    > We got the reply from DIGI international no driver is available for PCI
    > OR ISA card for Windows CE. Finally it seem we have to write our own
    > driver for windows CE. Any advise or comments..
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Navin

  9. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Many many thanks for sharing your advice. I hope these all will help me
    and others who also intend to do same thing.

    Regards

    Navin

  10. Re: Moving from DOS to Windows CE with Existing Hardware..

    Having been down this same road a few years ago, I would suggest
    starting with a crash-course training session. They're not cheap but
    they're worth it in the headaches you will save yourself. BSQUARE
    offers one, AVNET has one, and there are some CD's or DVD's you can get
    from Embedded Fusion, Steve Maillet's company.

    You may find that your SBC has enough horsepower to run CE5. Or, it
    may not. Talk to the vendor and see if they offer a CE BSP. If not,
    the generic CEPC x86 platform might work well enough for you. If not,
    find a similar SBC x86 vendor with a decent BSP (I have experience with
    Advantech and can recommend them).

    Porting your (presumably old and crusty from 10 years of DOS) app may
    be difficult. Decide whether you need kernel-level support (use the
    OAL) or can just run as a generic app. Do you want to use Win32? MFC?
    ATL?

    Lastly, you might find some useful information here:
    http://oswaldproject.blogspot.com. Then again, maybe not. (You never
    know with these wacky fly-by-night bloggers.)

    -Dan.

    (This newsgroup and .platbuilder are excellent resources for questions
    and answers but if you have some specific questions you can also email
    me at dmccarty at gmail dot com. NOTE: This is NOT an invitation for
    someone to read this post 5 years down the road and send me emails full
    of questions! ;-)

    smartslack wrote:
    > Hi !!
    > I need some information regarding following things ..
    > We have one system on single board computer (SBC) having DOS. We are
    > planning to move with Windows CE with same existing hardware. Hardware
    > contains motherboard X86 and with enough RAM digicard etc.
    > Is it possible to move with windows CE 5.0 or any version ?
    > If it is possible what kind of change (hardware or any other changes)
    > we should keep in mind for that..??
    >
    > Thank in Advance..
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Navin Salunke