question about WinCe update-procedure - Windows CE

This is a discussion on question about WinCe update-procedure - Windows CE ; Hi, I'm using the Colibri EvalBoard with the Colibri XScaleŽ PXA270 module and Windows CE 5.0 installed on it. Now, I have an important question about updating from image version 1.0 to 1.1, where you first have to do the ...

  1. question about WinCe update-procedure

    Hi,

    I'm using the Colibri EvalBoard with the Colibri XScaleŽ PXA270 module
    and Windows CE 5.0 installed on it.

    Now, I have an important question about updating from image version 1.0
    to 1.1, where you first have to do the image update en then the
    bootloader update (special update procedure).

    See
    http://www.toradex.com/colibri_downl..._Procedure.txt
    for more details.

    I don't know exactly where the bootloader update has to be fitted in
    into the update procedure.

    Is this before the reboot yet or already after it?
    I'm not completely sure about this & off course I don't wanna loose the
    WinCe OS!

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: question about WinCe update-procedure

    I infer you are using Platform Builder, so this question is far more
    likely to get answered if asked in a newsgroup for folks who use that
    tool. I just used google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    update image platform builder
    and got 5230 hits. I didn't look to see whether any might be helpful,
    but I sure saw at least one newsgroup likely to be appropriate.

    On 22 Nov 2006 07:03:13 -0800, "FCBfreak"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm using the Colibri EvalBoard with the Colibri XScaleŽ PXA270 module
    >and Windows CE 5.0 installed on it.
    >
    >Now, I have an important question about updating from image version 1.0
    >to 1.1, where you first have to do the image update en then the
    >bootloader update (special update procedure).
    >
    >See
    >http://www.toradex.com/colibri_downl..._Procedure.txt
    >for more details.
    >
    >I don't know exactly where the bootloader update has to be fitted in
    >into the update procedure.
    >
    >Is this before the reboot yet or already after it?
    >I'm not completely sure about this & off course I don't wanna loose the
    >WinCe OS!
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: question about WinCe update-procedure

    I'm not using platform builder & believe me I visited
    microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder before, but as I don't use it
    myself, it doesn't make sense to post there.

    I'm just wondering if there are people here (general WinCe topic) who
    did this specific update procedure before.

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com schreef:

    > I infer you are using Platform Builder, so this question is far more
    > likely to get answered if asked in a newsgroup for folks who use that
    > tool. I just used google
    > (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    > update image platform builder
    > and got 5230 hits. I didn't look to see whether any might be helpful,
    > but I sure saw at least one newsgroup likely to be appropriate.
    >

    > On 22 Nov 2006 07:03:13 -0800, "FCBfreak"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm using the Colibri EvalBoard with the Colibri XScaleŽ PXA270 module
    > >and Windows CE 5.0 installed on it.
    > >
    > >Now, I have an important question about updating from image version 1.0
    > >to 1.1, where you first have to do the image update en then the
    > >bootloader update (special update procedure).
    > >
    > >See
    > >http://www.toradex.com/colibri_downl..._Procedure.txt
    > >for more details.
    > >
    > >I don't know exactly where the bootloader update has to be fitted in
    > >into the update procedure.
    > >
    > >Is this before the reboot yet or already after it?
    > >I'm not completely sure about this & off course I don't wanna loose the
    > >WinCe OS!
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    > Boston, MA 02116
    > www.penfact.com

  4. Re: question about WinCe update-procedure

    If you post to more than one newsgroup, you really should post to all
    at once, so everyone can see and participate in the whole discussion.
    In this case, I _think_ you tried one group and then another because
    you were trying to find the right group. If so, then you should have
    mentioned the other groups. Because now I tried to answer here, Javier
    Grijalba tried to answer in microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder,
    and Paul G. Tobey tried to answer in
    microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded. Clearly, my attempt was the least
    useful, but each of the other two might well have provided better
    answers if they had seen the other's response.

    On 22 Nov 2006 11:10:23 -0800, "FCBfreak"
    wrote:

    >I'm not using platform builder & believe me I visited
    >microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder before, but as I don't use it
    >myself, it doesn't make sense to post there.
    >
    >I'm just wondering if there are people here (general WinCe topic) who
    >did this specific update procedure before.
    >
    >r_z_aret@pen_fact.com schreef:
    >
    >> I infer you are using Platform Builder, so this question is far more
    >> likely to get answered if asked in a newsgroup for folks who use that
    >> tool. I just used google
    >> (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    >> update image platform builder
    >> and got 5230 hits. I didn't look to see whether any might be helpful,
    >> but I sure saw at least one newsgroup likely to be appropriate.
    >>

    >> On 22 Nov 2006 07:03:13 -0800, "FCBfreak"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I'm using the Colibri EvalBoard with the Colibri XScaleŽ PXA270 module
    >> >and Windows CE 5.0 installed on it.
    >> >
    >> >Now, I have an important question about updating from image version 1.0
    >> >to 1.1, where you first have to do the image update en then the
    >> >bootloader update (special update procedure).
    >> >
    >> >See
    >> >http://www.toradex.com/colibri_downl..._Procedure.txt
    >> >for more details.
    >> >
    >> >I don't know exactly where the bootloader update has to be fitted in
    >> >into the update procedure.
    >> >
    >> >Is this before the reboot yet or already after it?
    >> >I'm not completely sure about this & off course I don't wanna loose the
    >> >WinCe OS!
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance

    >> To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >>
    >> Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    >> PenFact, Inc.
    >> 20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    >> Boston, MA 02116