cs8900 problem only when booting - Windows CE

This is a discussion on cs8900 problem only when booting - Windows CE ; Hi all, Thanks for your replies. I got my network up, but the problem earlier and even prevailing now is that, network works normally only when it is disconnected while booting and connected later. If the network is connected continuously, ...

  1. cs8900 problem only when booting

    Hi all,
    Thanks for your replies. I got my network up, but the problem earlier
    and even prevailing now is that, network works normally only when it is

    disconnected while booting and connected later. If the network is
    connected continuously, even while booting, it hangs at transmission.
    Does any one has the solution/reason for it.
    Regards
    Pradeep

  2. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Add some debug printing (or put a breakpoint if possible)
    to see how is the link status detected/handled at startup
    (normally triggered from the .InitializeHandler) and is
    there any difference from the periodic link status detection
    (normally triggered by the NDIS timer callback started with
    NdisMSetTimer).

    deepu wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Thanks for your replies. I got my network up, but the problem earlier
    > and even prevailing now is that, network works normally only when it is
    >
    > disconnected while booting and connected later. If the network is
    > connected continuously, even while booting, it hangs at transmission.
    > Does any one has the solution/reason for it.
    > Regards
    > Pradeep

  3. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Providing breakpoint is not possible, but debug prints have been given
    and it shows link status absolutely alright, even periodically. And the
    status changes as I plugin and plugout the cable.
    Regards
    Pradeep
    voidcoder wrote:
    > Add some debug printing (or put a breakpoint if possible)
    > to see how is the link status detected/handled at startup
    > (normally triggered from the .InitializeHandler) and is
    > there any difference from the periodic link status detection
    > (normally triggered by the NDIS timer callback started with
    > NdisMSetTimer).
    >

    > deepu wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Thanks for your replies. I got my network up, but the problem earlier
    > > and even prevailing now is that, network works normally only when it is
    > >
    > > disconnected while booting and connected later. If the network is
    > > connected continuously, even while booting, it hangs at transmission.
    > > Does any one has the solution/reason for it.
    > > Regards
    > > Pradeep

  4. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Then your next step is to find exactly the place
    where it hangs with sending when the cable is
    attached at startup. Have you found this place?

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:31:55 +0200, deepu wrote:

    > Providing breakpoint is not possible, but debug prints have been given
    > and it shows link status absolutely alright, even periodically. And the
    > status changes as I plugin and plugout the cable.
    > Regards
    > Pradeep
    > voidcoder wrote:
    >> Add some debug printing (or put a breakpoint if possible)
    >> to see how is the link status detected/handled at startup
    >> (normally triggered from the .InitializeHandler) and is
    >> there any difference from the periodic link status detection
    >> (normally triggered by the NDIS timer callback started with
    >> NdisMSetTimer).
    >>

    >> deepu wrote:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> > Thanks for your replies. I got my network up, but the problem earlier
    >> > and even prevailing now is that, network works normally only when it is
    >> >
    >> > disconnected while booting and connected later. If the network is
    >> > connected continuously, even while booting, it hangs at transmission.
    >> > Does any one has the solution/reason for it.
    >> > Regards
    >> > Pradeep

  5. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Yes thats what I was discussing with you in my last posts. Link for
    that is here
    http://groups.google.co.in/group/mic...f64b8d0c?hl=en
    Its hanging at Transmission, once the data is copied in to the transmit
    buffer, its not transmitted from there, there is no transmission
    complete in the status nor any errors.
    Regards
    Pradeep
    voidcoder wrote:
    > Then your next step is to find exactly the place
    > where it hangs with sending when the cable is
    > attached at startup. Have you found this place?
    >

    > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:31:55 +0200, deepu wrote:
    >
    > > Providing breakpoint is not possible, but debug prints have been given
    > > and it shows link status absolutely alright, even periodically. And the
    > > status changes as I plugin and plugout the cable.
    > > Regards
    > > Pradeep
    > > voidcoder wrote:
    > >> Add some debug printing (or put a breakpoint if possible)
    > >> to see how is the link status detected/handled at startup
    > >> (normally triggered from the .InitializeHandler) and is
    > >> there any difference from the periodic link status detection
    > >> (normally triggered by the NDIS timer callback started with
    > >> NdisMSetTimer).

  6. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    I thought you have already solved that. Well, I don't
    know what may be the problem, but you may want to try
    the following:

    1. Connect the cable at startup.
    2. Boot the OS.
    3. Let the driver to initialize the chip and detect the
    link status. Just let it to run normally.
    4. Dump the CS8900 registers.

    Now repeat the same, but do not connect the cable
    at startup, instead connect it later (as you told,
    in this situation it works as expected). Next dump
    the registers and see if there is any significant
    difference in the control registers.

    Btw, are you reseting the chip during the initialization?
    What exactly type of reset you are using?

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:16:38 +0200, deepu wrote:

    > Yes thats what I was discussing with you in my last posts. Link for
    > that is here
    > http://groups.google.co.in/group/mic...f64b8d0c?hl=en
    > Its hanging at Transmission, once the data is copied in to the transmit
    > buffer, its not transmitted from there, there is no transmission
    > complete in the status nor any errors.
    > Regards
    > Pradeep
    > voidcoder wrote:
    >> Then your next step is to find exactly the place
    >> where it hangs with sending when the cable is
    >> attached at startup. Have you found this place?
    >>

    >> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:31:55 +0200, deepu wrote:
    >>
    >> > Providing breakpoint is not possible, but debug prints have been given
    >> > and it shows link status absolutely alright, even periodically. Andthe
    >> > status changes as I plugin and plugout the cable.
    >> > Regards
    >> > Pradeep

  7. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Thanks for the reply vodcoder. I have already tried the above mentioned
    procedure, and there is no significant change in the control registers.
    And also during initialization I am not doing any type of reset(I have
    skipped the reset routines due to some hardware constraints). Does this
    cause the driver to fail in any ways. I had also mentioned in my last
    posts about reset failure during initialization.
    Regards
    Deepu

    voidcoder wrote:
    > I thought you have already solved that. Well, I don't
    > know what may be the problem, but you may want to try
    > the following:
    >
    > 1. Connect the cable at startup.
    > 2. Boot the OS.
    > 3. Let the driver to initialize the chip and detect the
    > link status. Just let it to run normally.
    > 4. Dump the CS8900 registers.
    >
    > Now repeat the same, but do not connect the cable
    > at startup, instead connect it later (as you told,
    > in this situation it works as expected). Next dump
    > the registers and see if there is any significant
    > difference in the control registers.
    >
    > Btw, are you reseting the chip during the initialization?
    > What exactly type of reset you are using?
    >

    > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:16:38 +0200, deepu wrote:
    >
    > > Yes thats what I was discussing with you in my last posts. Link for
    > > that is here
    > > http://groups.google.co.in/group/mic...f64b8d0c?hl=en
    > > Its hanging at Transmission, once the data is copied in to the transmit
    > > buffer, its not transmitted from there, there is no transmission
    > > complete in the status nor any errors.
    > > Regards
    > > Pradeep
    > > voidcoder wrote:
    > >> Then your next step is to find exactly the place
    > >> where it hangs with sending when the cable is
    > >> attached at startup. Have you found this place?

  8. Re: cs8900 problem only when booting

    Well, if you are sure the chip is initialized correctly,
    may be it has something to do with the interrupt? Dump
    the interrupt and GPIO controller regs to see if the interrupt
    is not masked, edge detection enabled, edge detect status cleared,
    etc.

+ Reply to Thread