How to install Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA ? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on How to install Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA ? - Windows CE ; Hello NG, I want to install ".net Compact Framework V 2.0" on my PDA because an application that is already installed on it need this. (It says that it needs an "newer version" of this, so there might already be ...

  1. How to install Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA ?

    Hello NG,
    I want to install ".net Compact Framework V 2.0" on my PDA
    because an application that is already installed on it need this.
    (It says that it needs an "newer version" of this, so there might
    already be an older version of it installed, in which case I think
    the new version should replace the old one to save space.)
    I found the web site for .net CF V2 on the web, downloaded
    this thing and have now a file called NETCFSetupv2.msi on my PC.
    But how do it use this ? In any case, just copying it to the PDA seems
    to be the wrong thing, the PDA's WindowsCE does not know what
    to do with this file (so I deleted this copy)

    I saw that *.msi - files are associated on my WinXP PC with an appl.
    called msiexec.exe (which seems normal according to what I read on
    the subject) stored in the System32 subdirectory of the Windows dir.

    (There is another file with the same name in the SoftwareDistribution
    subdir. of the Windows dir., with a [not so much] different size, my
    first idea was that this one might be the right one for my purpose,
    because I guessed that the normal one might want to install on the PC.
    Now I found out - in wikipedia - that the .net *C* F is devoted to
    PDAs and the like. So I can imagine that the msi-file will only
    produce an installation on PDAs, also with the 'normal' msiexec,
    the Softw.Distr. msiexec being always for install. to many computers
    in a network. But I'd like to know for sure. Therefore my 1st Q.:
    can you please confirm that the System32 msiexec is what has to
    be exec'd for my purpose ?)

    To be more precise, msi-files have 3 processes associated with them:
    install, repair and uninstall (one sees these among others when
    right-clicking on the msi-file), the first of these being shown bold,
    so that it will exec. on a double-click. It exec's msiexec with
    the following parameters: /i "%1" %* (may-be with less / extra
    spaces). And my 2nd Q. is: does this mean that I may just double-click
    the msi file (with admin' rights) and msiexec will present me (based
    on what is stored in the msi-file) the instructions that - when
    complied to - produce the desired install' on the PDA ? (I guess this
    might work at the condition that PDA and PC are already connected
    before starting with this, by which I mean connected physically *and*
    by software, i.e. ActiveSync showing "connected".)

  2. Re: How to install Dotnet Compact Framework on my PDA ?

    You install that MSI on the PC. The next time you sync the PDA, via
    ActiveSync, with the PC, you will get a chance to install the appropriate
    item on the PDA.

    Paul T.

    "Ulysse from CH" wrote in message
    > Hello NG,
    > I want to install ".net Compact Framework V 2.0" on my PDA
    > because an application that is already installed on it need this.
    > (It says that it needs an "newer version" of this, so there might
    > already be an older version of it installed, in which case I think
    > the new version should replace the old one to save space.)
    > I found the web site for .net CF V2 on the web, downloaded
    > this thing and have now a file called NETCFSetupv2.msi on my PC.
    > But how do it use this ? In any case, just copying it to the PDA seems
    > to be the wrong thing, the PDA's WindowsCE does not know what
    > to do with this file (so I deleted this copy)
    >
    > I saw that *.msi - files are associated on my WinXP PC with an appl.
    > called msiexec.exe (which seems normal according to what I read on
    > the subject) stored in the System32 subdirectory of the Windows dir.
    >
    > (There is another file with the same name in the SoftwareDistribution
    > subdir. of the Windows dir., with a [not so much] different size, my
    > first idea was that this one might be the right one for my purpose,
    > because I guessed that the normal one might want to install on the PC.
    > Now I found out - in wikipedia - that the .net *C* F is devoted to
    > PDAs and the like. So I can imagine that the msi-file will only
    > produce an installation on PDAs, also with the 'normal' msiexec,
    > the Softw.Distr. msiexec being always for install. to many computers
    > in a network. But I'd like to know for sure. Therefore my 1st Q.:
    > can you please confirm that the System32 msiexec is what has to
    > be exec'd for my purpose ?)
    >
    > To be more precise, msi-files have 3 processes associated with them:
    > install, repair and uninstall (one sees these among others when
    > right-clicking on the msi-file), the first of these being shown bold,
    > so that it will exec. on a double-click. It exec's msiexec with
    > the following parameters: /i "%1" %* (may-be with less / extra
    > spaces). And my 2nd Q. is: does this mean that I may just double-click
    > the msi file (with admin' rights) and msiexec will present me (based
    > on what is stored in the msi-file) the instructions that - when
    > complied to - produce the desired install' on the PDA ? (I guess this
    > might work at the condition that PDA and PC are already connected
    > before starting with this, by which I mean connected physically *and*
    > by software, i.e. ActiveSync showing "connected".)

+ Reply to Thread