Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH - Windows CE ; yaa , that's ok but if i need to replace the generic catch in EH to convert it in SEH, then what can i use?...

  1. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    yaa , that's ok
    but if i need to replace the generic catch in EH to convert it in SEH,
    then what can i use?

  2. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    You can't. You will find someone who will tell you can, but forget it. If
    you are an expert at C++, such as someone who writes STL and is considered
    an authority on C++ and compilers you might stand a small chance. Some of
    it also depends upon the type of exceptions being handled by the code and
    where the code is being used. The kernel has a 12KB stack for the entire
    path of an IRP. In storage that can be disk.sys and on down to the storage
    driver, then possibly to the 1394 driver, USB driver, SCSI class driver, or
    the ATAPI class driver and their mini-ports, as appropriate. Trying to do a
    full database that uses exceptions to handle any and all errors that may
    have to propogate up through several function calls just won't work. Also
    SEH does not call destructors as it moves upward. It is designed mostly to
    permit 'C' calls to return exceptions up only one level.

    "yogesh" wrote in message
    news:1158051793.532762.213750@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > yaa , that's ok
    > but if i need to replace the generic catch in EH to convert it in SEH,
    > then what can i use?

  3. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    Hi, i think you mis-understand my problem.
    My project is in C++ but, it should be compatible with the CE devices,
    so the problem here is that, CE devices doesn't support the C++
    exception Handling, also supports the SEH. So, there should be used a
    trick that will convert the try-catch in C++ into an SEH
    (__try-__except).
    there is a trick that uses #define in the code, it is applicable for
    other than "catch(...)".
    suggest any trick u have?

  4. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    Actually Windows CE devices (starting from CE 4.0) support C++ exceptions.
    Are you targeting Windows CE 3.0 based platform?

    --
    Yaroslav Goncharov
    Pocket PC Developer Network coordinator, http://pocketpcdn.com

    "yogesh" wrote in message
    news:1158064755.968116.190130@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, i think you mis-understand my problem.
    > My project is in C++ but, it should be compatible with the CE devices,
    > so the problem here is that, CE devices doesn't support the C++
    > exception Handling, also supports the SEH. So, there should be used a
    > trick that will convert the try-catch in C++ into an SEH
    > (__try-__except).
    > there is a trick that uses #define in the code, it is applicable for
    > other than "catch(...)".
    > suggest any trick u have?

  5. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    { Dropped colda and mpwpk, those have absolutely no relation to the
    problem - please take some care choosing the groups you are posting to if
    you want to be taken serious. }

    Now:

    yogesh wrote:
    > My project is in C++ but, it should be compatible with the CE devices,
    > so the problem here is that, CE devices doesn't support the C++
    > exception Handling, also supports the SEH.

    I have some CE devices here (running 4.2 and 5.0) and all of them support
    the full range of C++ exceptions. Are you perhaps just a compiler-switch
    (/GX) away from porting your code?

    Uli

  6. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    My CE device is "WYSE device" version 4.2 which doesn't support the C++
    EH. It supports to the SEH.

  7. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    Yaroslav Goncharov wrote:
    > Actually Windows CE devices (starting from CE 4.0) support C++ exceptions.
    > Are you targeting Windows CE 3.0 based platform?

    And if so, why are you asking in a Linux group?

  8. Re: converting c++ exception handling into SEH

    This is an anwer, not a question. The original question has been posted to
    microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer and then crossposted to a Linux group.

    --

    "Tim Keck" wrote in message
    news:5qadncxTs6GR05rYnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@catvexpress. net...
    > Yaroslav Goncharov wrote:
    >> Actually Windows CE devices (starting from CE 4.0) support C++
    >> exceptions. Are you targeting Windows CE 3.0 based platform?
    >>

    > And if so, why are you asking in a Linux group?

+ Reply to Thread