Application Deployment Persistence - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Application Deployment Persistence - Windows CE ; I hope I am asking this in the proper group. I have developed a simple inventory application using C# and MS SQL Server CE for a Unitech PA-962 Windows CE 4.2 based hand held scanner. The problem is If I ...

  1. Application Deployment Persistence

    I hope I am asking this in the proper group. I have developed a simple
    inventory application using C# and MS SQL Server CE for a Unitech
    PA-962 Windows CE 4.2 based hand held scanner. The problem is If I
    remove the battery, I lose the deployment. Is there a way to deploy
    the application in a more persistent fashion? Any help would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: Application Deployment Persistence

    On 15 Feb 2006 20:56:54 -0800, "Samchep" wrote:

    >I hope I am asking this in the proper group. I have developed a simple
    >inventory application using C# and MS SQL Server CE for a Unitech
    >PA-962 Windows CE 4.2 based hand held scanner. The problem is If I
    >remove the battery, I lose the deployment. Is there a way to deploy
    >the application in a more persistent fashion? Any help would be
    >appreciated. Thanks.

    This question has been discussed and answered several times, so google
    would yield answers. But I can't think of a good search string so I'll
    answer directly. Please use google for more info if my answer isn't
    sufficient.

    Until recently, all Windows CE devices used RAM for bulk storage
    (pseudo-disk space), and RAM needs constant current to retain its
    memory. The two implications are that an older Windows CE device is
    _never_ completely off unless its battery is dead, and a dead batter
    means all bulk memory is erased (as you discovered). For Windows
    Mobile 5, Microsoft has decreed that bulk storage must be persistent.
    That means it does not need constant current and retains its memory
    even when the battery goes dead. The down side is a significant loss
    in speed.

    You have two choices:

    1)Install on a storage card (CF or SD), and make sure your application
    keeps its data on the same card.

    2) Install in main memory, but put together a utility to reinstall
    from storage card. If your application needs to maintain data, you can
    put together some sort of backup utility, and then include a data
    recovery utility with your automated reinstall.

    The former is simpler, but likely to make your application slow.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    20 Park Plaza, Suite 478
    Boston, MA 02116