Sync Provider? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Sync Provider? - Windows CE ; If I have data in a native database and I want to move that data to a completely different format (such as an Excel spreadsheet) on the PC, do I need to write a "Sync Provider" for ActiveSync? Or can ...

  1. Sync Provider?

    If I have data in a native database and I want to move that data to a
    completely different format (such as an Excel spreadsheet) on the PC, do I
    need to write a "Sync Provider" for ActiveSync? Or can I do this directly
    from a desktop app (.exe file)?

    Any comments?

    DataGetŪ & PocketLogŪ www.dataget.com
    Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

  2. Re: Sync Provider?

    Come now, doesn't *anybody* sync their data from the PocketPC?

    "Baxter" wrote in message
    > If I have data in a native database and I want to move that data to a
    > completely different format (such as an Excel spreadsheet) on the PC, do I
    > need to write a "Sync Provider" for ActiveSync? Or can I do this directly
    > from a desktop app (.exe file)?
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > --
    > DataGetŪ & PocketLogŪ www.dataget.com
    > Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

  3. Re: Sync Provider?

    If anyone is interested, I think I have an answer.

    I spoke with a client today who has been doing quite a bit of this kind of
    work. He accesses his PPC data directly from his desktop application using
    the RAPI interface.

    He has, however, run into a problem in that the latest version of the PPC OS
    has changed - he will have to rebuild his apps using the Visual Studio 2005
    because apparently WinMobile5.0 has stubbed off the earlier version of RAPI
    and calls do nothing.

    "Baxter" wrote in message
    > Come now, doesn't *anybody* sync their data from the PocketPC?
    >

    > "Baxter" wrote in message
    > > If I have data in a native database and I want to move that data to a
    > > completely different format (such as an Excel spreadsheet) on the PC, do

    > > need to write a "Sync Provider" for ActiveSync? Or can I do this

    directly
    > > from a desktop app (.exe file)?
    > >
    > > Any comments?
    > >
    > > --
    > > DataGetŪ & PocketLogŪ www.dataget.com
    > > Data Collectors www.baxcode.com

  4. Re: Sync Provider?

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:23:36 -0800, "Baxter"
    wrote:

    >If anyone is interested, I think I have an answer.
    >
    >I spoke with a client today who has been doing quite a bit of this kind of
    >work. He accesses his PPC data directly from his desktop application using
    >the RAPI interface.
    >
    >He has, however, run into a problem in that the latest version of the PPC OS
    >has changed - he will have to rebuild his apps using the Visual Studio 2005
    >because apparently WinMobile5.0 has stubbed off the earlier version of RAPI
    >and calls do nothing.

    I haven't noticed much of any dependency between RAPI and Windows CE
    or Pocket PC version. I have three programs that work with RAPI and
    none needed any changes to work with the WM 5 device I have. One was
    built with VB 6 and the other two with VC 6.

    I suppose Windows CE (and thus platforms like Pocket PC built on it)
    has functions that support RAPI. But they are part of the background.
    I sure never call them directly.

    >"Baxter" wrote in message
    >> Come now, doesn't *anybody* sync their data from the PocketPC?
    >>

    >> "Baxter" wrote in message
    >> > If I have data in a native database and I want to move that data to a
    >> > completely different format (such as an Excel spreadsheet) on the PC, do

    >> > need to write a "Sync Provider" for ActiveSync? Or can I do this

    >directly
    >> > from a desktop app (.exe file)?
    >> >
    >> > Any comments?
    >> >
    >> > --