New to Windows CE Hardware Question - Windows CE

This is a discussion on New to Windows CE Hardware Question - Windows CE ; Hello, We have just purchased a single board computer running Windows CE 4.2 for a project. The flash disk it is using for its mass storage (and any device attached to its USB port) is detected with a long delay ...

  1. New to Windows CE Hardware Question

    Hello,

    We have just purchased a single board computer running Windows CE 4.2
    for a project. The flash disk it is using for its mass storage (and any
    device attached to its USB port) is detected with a long delay (up to
    10 to 15 seconds) after the operating system boots up. This delay is
    not desirable since we want our application (stored on the flash disk)
    to be launched as soon as the operating system is done booting up. The
    manufacturer of the board claims that the operating system (Windows CE
    4.2) should be blamed and not their hardware or BIOS.

    I was wondering if this is a common problem peculiar to Windows CE or
    have we purchased a piece of junk (the junk being the single board
    computer!)?

    Your help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: New to Windows CE Hardware Question

    I don't work on this level, so I definitely don't have a real answer.
    But I'm pretty sure you are more likely to get a real answer if you
    post this question in a newsgroup frequented by folks who use Platform
    Builder. I just used google to look up
    windows ce flash disk board
    and got 1970 hits. I took a quick look and think you should try
    microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder
    microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded

    On 28 Nov 2005 11:11:47 -0800, "Ardi" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >We have just purchased a single board computer running Windows CE 4.2
    >for a project. The flash disk it is using for its mass storage (and any
    >device attached to its USB port) is detected with a long delay (up to
    >10 to 15 seconds) after the operating system boots up. This delay is
    >not desirable since we want our application (stored on the flash disk)
    >to be launched as soon as the operating system is done booting up. The
    >manufacturer of the board claims that the operating system (Windows CE
    >4.2) should be blamed and not their hardware or BIOS.
    >
    >I was wondering if this is a common problem peculiar to Windows CE or
    >have we purchased a piece of junk (the junk being the single board
    >computer!)?
    >
    >Your help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP