keyboard wedge software design? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on keyboard wedge software design? - Windows CE ; I want to learn about the function and design of keyboard wedge software for CE 5.0. The primary purpose is to read serial barcode or mag stripe reader {MSR) data. Any suggestions?...

  1. keyboard wedge software design?

    I want to learn about the function and design of keyboard wedge
    software for CE 5.0. The primary purpose is to read serial barcode or
    mag stripe reader {MSR) data. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: keyboard wedge software design?

    On 8 Oct 2005 05:05:55 -0700, "born2script" wrote:

    >I want to learn about the function and design of keyboard wedge
    >software for CE 5.0. The primary purpose is to read serial barcode or
    >mag stripe reader {MSR) data. Any suggestions?

    I've only written one and a half (I abandoned my first attempt part
    way through because we gave up on the hardware), so I don't have a
    broad perspective. But I do have some definite opinions.

    I don't think it's possible to write a generic wedge, so I will assume
    you have access to the SDKs for each device you want to support. Most
    of these include sample wedges. I would start by testing those; you
    should quickly determine what each does well or badly.

    Keyboard wedges are supposed to stay in the background, except when a
    user wants to adjust a setting (if any are appropriate). So you need
    to make sure they don't force themselves to the foreground except in a
    emergency (you get to define "emergency" for your context). And you
    need to provide a simple way for at least some (perhaps only
    privileged) users to adjust settings.

    Wedges should _not_ soak up resources. So you should minimize use of
    memory. And you should definitely avoid polling; use event-driven code
    instead.

    Wedges are often used in settings where some users have severely
    restricted access. So you should definitely not change the visibility
    of the Task Bar or anything else that might let a user bypass their
    normal access rights.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: keyboard wedge software design?

    There is a Windows CE "software wedge" called CWedge available from
    TAL Technologies. You can download a demo version at:
    http://www.taltech.com/products/cewedge.html

    The program reads in data from a serial port on a Windows CE device
    and feeds the data to other applications as keystrokes so that the
    serial data appears as if it is being typed in on a keyboard. It is
    perfect for interfacing bar code scanners, mag stripe readers, RFID
    tag readers, and other simple serial devices.

    On 8 Oct 2005 05:05:55 -0700, "born2script" wrote:

    >I want to learn about the function and design of keyboard wedge
    >software for CE 5.0. The primary purpose is to read serial barcode or
    >mag stripe reader {MSR) data. Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread