HP Compaq t5300 - Windows CE

This is a discussion on HP Compaq t5300 - Windows CE ; Hi, Is it possible to run TomTom(3/5) ( www.tomtom.com ) on this little terminal? Tia, Mk HP Compaq t5300 Transmeta Crusoe TM5600 533 MHz 64 MB SDRAM 32MB Flash RAM ATI Rage XC 8 MB 10Base-T/100Base-TX LAN MS Windows CE ...

  1. HP Compaq t5300

    Hi,

    Is it possible to run TomTom(3/5) (www.tomtom.com) on this little terminal?

    Tia,

    Mk

    HP Compaq t5300
    Transmeta Crusoe TM5600 533 MHz
    64 MB SDRAM
    32MB Flash RAM
    ATI Rage XC 8 MB
    10Base-T/100Base-TX LAN
    MS Windows CE .NET 4.2

  2. Re: HP Compaq t5300

    Sorry, but no version of TomTom can be used on your device since it has an
    x86 processor. The only WinCE supported processor architectures TomTom ever
    had builds available for were: ARM, SH3 and MIPS. The latest versions like
    TomTom Navigator 5 support only ARM based Windows CE Pocket PCs and will
    also run on custom WinCE machines using a few tricks. While TomTom 5 may
    run on a custom CE 4.2 device with an ARM Processor, I'm afraid that there
    is no way it will ever run on an x86 machine like yours, short of loading
    Windows XP and starting the ARM Pocket PC emulator from Microsoft. Even if
    you could do that, I doubt it would be too usable on your 533mhz processor,
    anyhow. Older versions, like TomTom 3, had builds for ARM, SH3 and MIPS
    Pocket PCs, but I'm afraid they also did not have an x86 build either.
    Since its sounds like what you have is just an x86 PC, you may be better off
    trying to get Windows XP or Linux to boot on it and using native navigation
    software on one of those OSes... If your machine has a normal PC BIOS,
    this should not be too hard. If so, you may find the mp3car.com forums to
    be helpful in setting up your PC based in car navigation system.

    If not, then I guess you are pretty much stuck with the stock Windows CE os.
    While you can't run navigation software on your x86 CE machine, you can run
    a VERY limited amount of 3rd party CE apps that have x86 versions as well as
    most .NET Compact Framework and Embedded Visual Basic CE applications. If
    an app has source code available, you can always compile it yourself if you
    need it that bad. :P If you are feeling more adventurous, you could also
    try a Java VM like NSICom's CreMe.

    I'm sorry is this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is the
    reality of WinCE on the x86 architecture. Since there are few if any
    consumer x86 CE devices, very few developers feel the need to publish an x86
    build of their applications. Ironicly, most developers DO have an x86 build
    at one point in time because the emulators they use to debug their programs
    before they get actual hardware often use an x86 build of Windows CE. :P

    See here for my list of x86 CE software. Some of the sites may be down, but
    most can be found via a google search.

    http://tfgbd.web1000.com/x86%20CE%20software.txt

    You may wish to check out the hpcfactor.com forums for some tips from some
    other x86 CE device owners.

    I hope you have a good day and I hope my post was of some help. :P