Windows CE plz help - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Windows CE plz help - Windows CE ; Hi , I am using Windows CE for the first time.I am an Embedded software engg. here i get that Visual studio .NET (for managed code)and eVC++ 4.0 (for unmanaged code) is used.I need to install the software.which software i ...

  1. Windows CE plz help

    Hi ,
    I am using Windows CE for the first time.I am an Embedded software
    engg. here i get that Visual studio .NET (for managed code)and eVC++
    4.0 (for unmanaged code) is used.I need to install the software.which
    software i need to install , Visual studio .NET or eVC++ 4.0 . and if i
    install eVC++ 4.0 how can i start? what are the step i need to take for
    emulation and after building the code how will i download that on the
    chip and how will i debug it in the chip.please help

    Regards
    Dev

  2. Re: Windows CE plz help

    On 19 Jun 2005 22:46:14 -0700, "dev" wrote:

    >Hi ,
    >I am using Windows CE for the first time.I am an Embedded software
    >engg. here i get that Visual studio .NET (for managed code)and eVC++
    >4.0 (for unmanaged code) is used.I need to install the software.which
    >software i need to install , Visual studio .NET or eVC++ 4.0 . and if i
    >install eVC++ 4.0 how can i start? what are the step i need to take for
    >emulation and after building the code how will i download that on the
    >chip and how will i debug it in the chip.please help

    Whether you use VS.NET or eVC 4 depends on your background and the
    demands of your project. You probably won't want (or need) both. We
    (collective, not imperial) can't help you make that decision without
    more info from you.

    If you install eVC, you will also need the appropriate SDK for your
    device. If your device is a retail model, then one of the SDKs from
    Microsoft should work. If you are working with a specialized device,
    then you will probably need the SDK from the company that makes the
    device. If you are working for the company that makes the device, then
    someone whoever uses Platform Builder to build the operating system
    for your company should also use it to build an SDK for you. If you
    are the person responsible for customizing and installing the
    operating system, then you need to use Platform Builder. VS.NET and
    eVC are for building applications. I don't use Platform Builder, so I
    can't help further with it (and may have misspoken already).

    Once you install eVC and an SDK, you can open one of the samples that
    come with the SDK. And that should make things a bit more concrete.

    In this context, the word newbie is actually useful. In particular, I
    strongly recommend using google
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
    newbie
    in this newsgroup.

    I, at least, find that when I need to learn a large new topic, reading
    is the best method. So I strongly recommend finding and reading a
    book. Boling is about the best for folks who know Windows programming.
    Otherwise, Petzold is the usual recommendation, but I recommend Rector
    and Newcomer.

    Your questions are rather broad. I, at least, don't feel able to
    answer them.

    >Regards
    >Dev

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP