Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U? - Windows CE ; Hi. Sorry if this is a FAQ or if this is not the right newsgroup. I recently acquired a used Cassiopeia PA-2400U WinCE 2.0 device from eBay. I'd like to use it for note-taking, writing, things like that. The built-in ...

  1. Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    Hi. Sorry if this is a FAQ or if this is not the right newsgroup.

    I recently acquired a used Cassiopeia PA-2400U WinCE 2.0 device from eBay.
    I'd like to use it for note-taking, writing, things like that. The
    built-in software seems fine for those purposes. Unfortunately, there's
    no hardware keyboard, and the only way to input text is to tap the letters
    in via an on-screen keyboard.

    I'd like to put Jot on this thing, but I can't figure out where to get it.
    CIC apparently doesn't sell it to end-users any more. It's not included
    with the device, unless it's somehow in the CE 3.0 update I got with it on
    a CD, but I can't install *that* without something called Platform Builder
    3.0. I understand you can get Platform Builder *5.0* with the CE
    Evaluation Kit from Microsoft, but that evidently won't install unless I
    install a whole lot of .NET stuff first, which I'm not comfortable doing.

    So, can anyone help me figure out what to do here? I basically just want
    some decent handwriting recognition to make this device usable. Thanks in
    advance.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.

  2. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    > Hi. Sorry if this is a FAQ or if this is not the right newsgroup.
    >
    > I recently acquired a used Cassiopeia PA-2400U WinCE 2.0 device from eBay.
    > I'd like to use it for note-taking, writing, things like that. The
    > built-in software seems fine for those purposes. Unfortunately, there's
    > no hardware keyboard, and the only way to input text is to tap the letters
    > in via an on-screen keyboard.
    >
    > I'd like to put Jot on this thing, but I can't figure out where to get it.
    > CIC apparently doesn't sell it to end-users any more. It's not included
    > with the device, unless it's somehow in the CE 3.0 update I got with it

    on
    > a CD, but I can't install *that* without something called Platform Builder

    There should be included some kind of letter recognizer with the device. I
    don't remmeber it's exact name. But it may even be Jot. To activate it press
    the little arrow at the right of the button that looks like a keyboard, at
    the bottom of the screen. then it will popup a menu with the different SIP
    choices. One of them should be a letter recognizer.

    --
    All the best,
    Isr Gish

  3. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:02:39 -0400, Isr Gish wrote:

    > "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    > There should be included some kind of letter recognizer with the device.
    > I don't remmeber it's exact name. But it may even be Jot. To activate it
    > press the little arrow at the right of the button that looks like a
    > keyboard, at the bottom of the screen. then it will popup a menu with
    > the different SIP choices. One of them should be a letter recognizer.

    Thanks for the information, Isr.

    The built-in pop-up keyboard is called smARTkeyboard, it appears, and
    there is some sort of built-in handwriting recognizer call smARTwriter,
    which I have found not to be terribly useful. Even after training, it
    gets more letters wrong than right, and there's no apparent way to enter
    spaces or punctuation like apostrophes. Jot, unfortunately, is not an
    option.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  4. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:02:39 -0400, Isr Gish wrote:
    >
    > > "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    > > There should be included some kind of letter recognizer with the device.
    > > I don't remmeber it's exact name. But it may even be Jot. To activate

    it
    > > press the little arrow at the right of the button that looks like a
    > > keyboard, at the bottom of the screen. then it will popup a menu with
    > > the different SIP choices. One of them should be a letter recognizer.

    > Thanks for the information, Isr.
    >
    > The built-in pop-up keyboard is called smARTkeyboard, it appears, and
    > there is some sort of built-in handwriting recognizer call smARTwriter,
    > which I have found not to be terribly useful. Even after training, it
    > gets more letters wrong than right, and there's no apparent way to enter
    > spaces or punctuation like apostrophes. Jot, unfortunately, is not an
    > option.

    Sorry realized afterwards that I have 2.11 which has Jot as its letter
    recognizer.

    --
    All the best,
    Isr Gish

  5. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:20:21 -0400, Isr Gish wrote:

    > "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:
    >>
    >> The built-in pop-up keyboard is called smARTkeyboard, it appears, and
    >> there is some sort of built-in handwriting recognizer call smARTwriter,
    >> which I have found not to be terribly useful. Even after training, it
    >> gets more letters wrong than right, and there's no apparent way to
    >> enter spaces or punctuation like apostrophes. Jot, unfortunately, is
    >> not an option.

    > Sorry realized afterwards that I have 2.11 which has Jot as its letter
    > recognizer.

    I wonder whether that version of Jot would work on a 2.0 machine.

    --
    Doug Taylor | Nothing real can be threatened.
    The Ohio State University | Nothing unreal exists.
    doug-taylor+@osu.edu | - A Course in Miracles

  6. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:46:13 -0400, "Douglas A. Taylor"
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:20:21 -0400, Isr Gish wrote:
    >
    >> "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The built-in pop-up keyboard is called smARTkeyboard, it appears, and
    >>> there is some sort of built-in handwriting recognizer call smARTwriter,
    >>> which I have found not to be terribly useful. Even after training, it
    >>> gets more letters wrong than right, and there's no apparent way to
    >>> enter spaces or punctuation like apostrophes. Jot, unfortunately, is
    >>> not an option.

    >> Sorry realized afterwards that I have 2.11 which has Jot as its letter
    >> recognizer.

    >I wonder whether that version of Jot would work on a 2.0 machine.

    Probably not. But perhaps worth trying if you can get hold of a copy
    for free or close (however you define "close").

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  7. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:20:21 -0400, Isr Gish wrote:
    >
    > > "Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The built-in pop-up keyboard is called smARTkeyboard, it appears, and
    > >> there is some sort of built-in handwriting recognizer call smARTwriter,
    > >> which I have found not to be terribly useful. Even after training, it
    > >> gets more letters wrong than right, and there's no apparent way to
    > >> enter spaces or punctuation like apostrophes. Jot, unfortunately, is
    > >> not an option.

    > > Sorry realized afterwards that I have 2.11 which has Jot as its letter
    > > recognizer.

    > I wonder whether that version of Jot would work on a 2.0 machine.

    I can't copy the file out of the ROM (as far as I know anyway).

    --
    All the best,
    Isr Gish

  8. Re: Help with Cassiopeia PA-2400U?

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:17:28 GMT, "Isr Gish" wrote:

    >"Douglas A. Taylor" wrote:

    >> > Sorry realized afterwards that I have 2.11 which has Jot as its letter
    >> > recognizer.

    >> I wonder whether that version of Jot would work on a 2.0 machine.

    >I can't copy the file out of the ROM (as far as I know anyway).

    Files in ROM cannot be copied. Or at least not by any ordinary method
    (I assume some serious hacker has found a way, but I sure haven't
    heard about any method.)

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R