How to install Pocket PC 2002? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on How to install Pocket PC 2002? - Windows CE ; hi, i have a toshiba pda with pocket pc 2002. i bought this 2nd hand so i do not know if there should be an installer included for Pocket PC. I have a cd from the manufacturer but there is ...

  1. How to install Pocket PC 2002?

    hi,
    i have a toshiba pda with pocket pc 2002. i bought this 2nd hand so i
    do not know if there should be an installer included for Pocket PC. I
    have a cd from the manufacturer but there is not installer for Pocket
    PC OS.

    How do I re-install the os for my pda if this is damaged?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to install Pocket PC 2002?

    On 3 Jun 2005 03:59:37 -0700, west.fairview@gmail.com wrote:

    >hi,
    >i have a toshiba pda with pocket pc 2002. i bought this 2nd hand so i
    >do not know if there should be an installer included for Pocket PC. I
    >have a cd from the manufacturer but there is not installer for Pocket
    >PC OS.
    >
    >How do I re-install the os for my pda if this is damaged?

    The os for Pocket PC is in ROM (Read Only Memory). So it (generally)
    cannot be replaced or installed. You can restore the whole device by
    doing a "hard" reset. That will erase everything in RAM, but leave
    everything in ROM; same effect as reformatting a "desktop" hard drive
    and reinstalling the operating system.

    If you have any sort of manual, it will almost certainly provide
    directions for a "hard" reset. If you have no manual or can't find the
    directions, removing the main battery (and backup if installed) will
    have the same effect.

    For Windows CE/Pocket PC, upgrades are the responsibility of OEMs
    (Original Equipment Manufacturer). So you can upgrade only if Toshiba
    provides an upgrade. Most OEMs have not. I don't know about Toshiba.

    For a good general intro to Windows CE and Pocket PC, see Chris De
    Herrera's site:
    http://www.cewindows.net/

    >Thanks.

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.
    500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    Boston, MA 02118
    www.penfact.com

  3. Re: How to install Pocket PC 2002?

    Robert,

    Thanks for the reply. That was simple enough although I could not find
    such info on the manual! The Toshiba website also has no info for the
    PDA! or maybe I was not able to locate it yet.

    Thanks again.

    Wes

    r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
    > On 3 Jun 2005 03:59:37 -0700, west.fairview@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >hi,
    > >i have a toshiba pda with pocket pc 2002. i bought this 2nd hand so i
    > >do not know if there should be an installer included for Pocket PC. I
    > >have a cd from the manufacturer but there is not installer for Pocket
    > >PC OS.
    > >
    > >How do I re-install the os for my pda if this is damaged?

    > The os for Pocket PC is in ROM (Read Only Memory). So it (generally)
    > cannot be replaced or installed. You can restore the whole device by
    > doing a "hard" reset. That will erase everything in RAM, but leave
    > everything in ROM; same effect as reformatting a "desktop" hard drive
    > and reinstalling the operating system.
    >
    > If you have any sort of manual, it will almost certainly provide
    > directions for a "hard" reset. If you have no manual or can't find the
    > directions, removing the main battery (and backup if installed) will
    > have the same effect.
    >
    > For Windows CE/Pocket PC, upgrades are the responsibility of OEMs
    > (Original Equipment Manufacturer). So you can upgrade only if Toshiba
    > provides an upgrade. Most OEMs have not. I don't know about Toshiba.
    >
    > For a good general intro to Windows CE and Pocket PC, see Chris De
    > Herrera's site:
    > http://www.cewindows.net/
    > >
    > >Thanks.

    > To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
    >
    > Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    > PenFact, Inc.
    > 500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
    > Boston, MA 02118