create customized user interface elements? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on create customized user interface elements? - Windows CE ; I want to create my own user interface elements for windows ce 5.0. I want to modify the to do list and calendar for my own look for a Tablet PC device. Can anyone recommend whether to use .NET or ...

  1. create customized user interface elements?

    I want to create my own user interface elements for windows ce 5.0. I
    want to modify the to do list and calendar for my own look for a Tablet
    PC device. Can anyone recommend whether to use .NET or Embedded Visual
    C++? I'm concerned about performance. What tools should I start with?

    Chirag

  2. Re: create customized user interface elements?

    On 27 May 2005 07:32:01 -0700, "Chirag" wrote:

    >I want to create my own user interface elements for windows ce 5.0. I
    >want to modify the to do list and calendar for my own look for a Tablet
    >PC device. Can anyone recommend whether to use .NET or Embedded Visual
    >C++? I'm concerned about performance. What tools should I start with?

    I'm quite sure programs built with eVC will work under version 5 of
    the Windows CE operating system. In fact, I'm assuming that for my own
    work. And eVC has been (and may still be) available for free. But
    Microsoft will no longer support it.

    I believe the upcoming version of Visual Studio will support C/C++.
    I'm sure Visual Studio does and will support VB and C#. I'm pretty
    sure all will work with Compact Framework (the runtime for .NET under
    Windows CE). I know the version of Visual Studio you would need costs
    several hundred dollars. But I don't use any of these, so I haven't
    paid close attention.

    Which tool is best for you depends heavily on your background. In
    particular, whether you have preference or stronger skills in C, C++,
    VB, or C#.

    You mention CE 5 and Tablet PC in the same sentence. It will be
    possible to use the same source code for both operating systems. In
    fact, I think developing for CE and "big" Windows simultaneously has
    serious advantages. But it does take extra care.

    This question has been asked in a few different ways. So I'm sure some
    time with Google would provide other answers, but I can't think of a
    good search string offhand.

    >Chirag

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.