Ok I give up - please help - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Ok I give up - please help - Windows CE ; I've been given an old Cassiopeia (E-115) which has Windows CE 3.09348 (build 9351) installed. I'm keen to get it updated as far as possible and have looked for new WIN CE versions - I've seen 4.2 and 5 mentioned ...

  1. Ok I give up - please help

    I've been given an old Cassiopeia (E-115) which has Windows CE 3.09348
    (build 9351) installed.

    I'm keen to get it updated as far as possible and have looked for new WIN CE
    versions - I've seen 4.2 and 5 mentioned but seen no download sites. Can
    anyone tell me what, if anything I can do to update the handheld?

    Is Pocket PC the same as Windows CE?

    Also, I've seen the Jawbreaker game on a new IPAQ and would like to find a
    version that would work on the Cassiopeia??

    Thanks to anyone with the time to reply

  2. Re: Ok I give up - please help

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:49:55 GMT, "Zaphod"
    wrote:

    >I've been given an old Cassiopeia (E-115) which has Windows CE 3.09348
    >(build 9351) installed.

    For a bit more info, check Chris De Herrera's great site:
    http://www.cewindows.net/wce/30/pocketpccomp.htm

    >I'm keen to get it updated as far as possible and have looked for new WIN CE
    >versions - I've seen 4.2 and 5 mentioned but seen no download sites. Can
    >anyone tell me what, if anything I can do to update the handheld?

    Each OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) is responsible for
    upgrades. For you, that means any upgrades would come from Casio. You
    can check on their sites, but I think it is unlikely. Few OEMs have
    provided upgrades. Especially older models. And I don't think anyone
    has provided an upgrade beyond one version. Also, the E-115 uses a
    MIPS CPU, but Microsoft has decreed that all new Pocket PC versions
    are _only_ for ARM-compatible CPUs.

    >Is Pocket PC the same as Windows CE?

    Pocket PC is a platform that uses the Windows CE operating system. For
    more info, see:
    http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317
    http://www.cewindows.net/wce/versions.htm

    >Also, I've seen the Jawbreaker game on a new IPAQ and would like to find a
    >version that would work on the Cassiopeia??

    Incompatible CPU.

    >Thanks to anyone with the time to reply

    Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
    PenFact, Inc.