Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format? - Windows CE

This is a discussion on Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format? - Windows CE ; Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of wedding photos on ...

  1. Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    wedding photos on it.
    Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.

    Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.

    Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

  2. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    zkat@europe.com wrote:

    > Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    > night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > wedding photos on it.
    > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    > Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    > could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    > If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    > with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    >
    > Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

    Google "erased memory card." There's a ton of hits.

    Notan

  3. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    Notan wrote:

    > zkat@europe.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    > > night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    > > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > > wedding photos on it.
    > > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    > >
    > > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    > > Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    > > could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    > > If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    > > with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    > >
    > > Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

    > Google "erased memory card." There's a ton of hits.

    One particularly good site seems to be:

    http://www.flashfixers.com/press/dima_10_03.html

    Notan

  4. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    wrote in message
    news:1110903912.912282.133630@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    > night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > wedding photos on it.
    > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    > Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    > could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    > If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    > with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    >
    > Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

    I have art plus digital photo recovery in my toolbox, but I have never
    needed it yet, it's free
    http://www.artplus.hr/ scroll down to the bottom of the page.
    Let us know if it does the job.

  5. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    wrote in message
    news:1110903912.912282.133630@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?

    Digital Image Recovery (DIR) works for me.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

  6. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    http://www.digitalleo.com/

    I tried all the free ones I could find and found this one to consistently
    find more than any of the free ones, but It cost $28. I got it for $20 when
    I got it. Free to try. So it wouldn't hurt to try if the others don't find
    them all.

    "Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
    message news:d173fc$upo$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > wrote in message
    > news:1110903912.912282.133630@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >>
    >> Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?

    > Digital Image Recovery (DIR) works for me.
    >
    > --
    > M Stewart
    > Milton Keynes, UK
    > http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

  7. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    zkat@europe.com wrote in news:1110903912.912282.133630
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I selected
    > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > wedding photos on it.

    Have you considered the witness protection program? Those brides and MOBs
    can be scary.

  8. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    zkat@europe.com wrote:
    > Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    > night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > wedding photos on it.
    > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    > Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    > could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    > If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    > with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    >
    > Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

    Maybe. Check into photo recovery software on Google. You MAY get
    lucky. Usually, format programs just write blank directory structures
    and FAT sectors to the card, leaving any data in place. Some software
    can find, and recover, the pictures. GOOD LUCK.
    And don't DO that again!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  9. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    On 15 Mar 2005 08:25:12 -0800, zkat@europe.com wrote:

    >Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    >night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    >the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    >wedding photos on it.
    >Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    >Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    >Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    >could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    >If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    >with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    >
    >Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

    Photo Rescue works well.

  10. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    Hi,

    SanDisk supplies a RescuePro mini-CD with its CF cards, free of extra
    charge. It is supposed to rescue files that are lost in situations such as
    yours. I have not used it yet, as I have been fortunate enough not to need
    it.

    Might I suggest that you back up your digital photo files. Burning to a
    CD-R is quite cheap, and fast. There are now blank CD-Rs available that
    have a gold-sputtered surface that supposedly lasts for 100 years, made by
    Delkin. They cost about U.S. $1.75 each, and can hold about 200 JPEG
    photos taken at highest res. by my 5 MP camera.

    Good luck.

    Morton Linder

    zkat@europe.com wrote:

    > Dumb question, possibly. But I thought I'd ask before giving up. Last
    > night, while playing with my new Canon PowerShot A95 camera, I selected
    > the option to format the storage card - with about 120Mb worth of
    > wedding photos on it.
    > Accident, stupidity, newbie mistake - whatever. Mea culpa.
    >
    > Question is, is there any way to recover the data in such a situation?
    > Does anyone know if what happens is some kind of 'soft' formatting that
    > could potentially be undone and the images recovered?
    > If necessary, any pointers to any technicians who might be able to help
    > with this would be most welcome - UK Thames Valley area.
    >
    > Believe me, I feel bad enough already at doing this. Be kind.

  11. Re: Can data be recovered from a CF card, post-format?

    Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
    Will follow up.

    The backup idea is a good one that I would usually have followed. Just
    got too eager to show off the results before I did a backup, and paid
    the price.

+ Reply to Thread