iPAQ Wi-Fi connection problem - Windows CE

This is a discussion on iPAQ Wi-Fi connection problem - Windows CE ; I'm a software developer, and I'm working on a Macromedia Flash application that runs on the HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC (running Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition). It talks to another computer on my LAN over a Wi-Fi connection. My ...

  1. iPAQ Wi-Fi connection problem

    I'm a software developer, and I'm working on a Macromedia Flash
    application that runs on the HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC (running Windows
    Mobile 2003 Second Edition). It talks to another computer on my LAN
    over a Wi-Fi connection. My problem is that sometimes, especially when
    I leave the iPAQ out of its cradle for an hour or so, the the
    application can no longer communicate with the computer. The wireless
    LED at the upper left is still blue, so it looks OK. But when I go to
    Settings, Connections, iPAQ Wireless, then I see that the Wi-Fi button
    has turned amber. Pressing the Wi-Fi button to make it green again
    simply fixes the problem. However, we do not want the user to do this
    by hand in order to run the application.

    So we would like to know: (1) is there some way to prevent the Wi-Fi
    connection from going down; (2) if not, is there some way my
    application can bring it back up, so that I don't have to do it by
    hand?

    We have seen this happen on a few different iPAQs on different LANs, so
    it does not seem to be a defective unit or a poor wireless signal. It
    also does not seem to be a low-battery issue, because the battery is in
    the 50%-80% range. It seems possible that the iPAQ is trying to save
    power, but because the blue light is on and the Wi-Fi button is amber
    rather than gray, it looks as if the Wi-Fi is not turned off but rather
    is failing to find the LAN. There are other iPAQ models that give the
    user some control over the "WLAN power save mode", but apparently not
    this one.

    We believe that tapping occasionally on the screen prevents the Wi-Fi
    from going down, but we cannot ask our users to do this. Simply using
    the Wi-Fi connection does not help, since the application is actively
    using the connection when the connection goes down. If we could
    programmatically press that Wi-Fi button, so to speak, that might work.

    Thank you for any information you may have!

    Hew Wolff
    Senior Engineer
    Art & Logic, Inc.

  2. Re: iPAQ Wi-Fi connection problem

    The iPAQ has an auto save battery mode in the WiFi. If you don't use it, it
    switches out the WiFi to save battery power. Just go to Start Menu /
    Settings / System / Power / Control and you will see WLAN Power save mode.
    It defaults to Auto. Set it to OFF.

    "Hew Wolff" wrote in message
    news:1109193907.806430.157300@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm a software developer, and I'm working on a Macromedia Flash
    > application that runs on the HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC (running Windows
    > Mobile 2003 Second Edition). It talks to another computer on my LAN
    > over a Wi-Fi connection. My problem is that sometimes, especially when
    > I leave the iPAQ out of its cradle for an hour or so, the the
    > application can no longer communicate with the computer. The wireless
    > LED at the upper left is still blue, so it looks OK. But when I go to
    > Settings, Connections, iPAQ Wireless, then I see that the Wi-Fi button
    > has turned amber. Pressing the Wi-Fi button to make it green again
    > simply fixes the problem. However, we do not want the user to do this
    > by hand in order to run the application.
    >
    > So we would like to know: (1) is there some way to prevent the Wi-Fi
    > connection from going down; (2) if not, is there some way my
    > application can bring it back up, so that I don't have to do it by
    > hand?
    >
    > We have seen this happen on a few different iPAQs on different LANs, so
    > it does not seem to be a defective unit or a poor wireless signal. It
    > also does not seem to be a low-battery issue, because the battery is in
    > the 50%-80% range. It seems possible that the iPAQ is trying to save
    > power, but because the blue light is on and the Wi-Fi button is amber
    > rather than gray, it looks as if the Wi-Fi is not turned off but rather
    > is failing to find the LAN. There are other iPAQ models that give the
    > user some control over the "WLAN power save mode", but apparently not
    > this one.
    >
    > We believe that tapping occasionally on the screen prevents the Wi-Fi
    > from going down, but we cannot ask our users to do this. Simply using
    > the Wi-Fi connection does not help, since the application is actively
    > using the connection when the connection goes down. If we could
    > programmatically press that Wi-Fi button, so to speak, that might work.
    >
    > Thank you for any information you may have!
    >
    > Hew Wolff
    > Senior Engineer
    > Art & Logic, Inc.

  3. Re: iPAQ Wi-Fi connection problem

    > The iPAQ has an auto save battery mode in the WiFi.

    Thanks, but recall:

    me> There are other iPAQ models that give the
    user some control over the "WLAN power save mode", but apparently not
    this one.

    This particular iPAQ, the hx4700 (which is pretty new and fancy and has
    VGA resolution), does not have that feature. The user doesn't get
    control over the WLAN power save mode.

    Actually, another interesting question is: why would the power save
    mode kill the connection? As I understand, it's supposed to reduce
    power consumption during times of low traffic, but no packets should be
    lost, right?

+ Reply to Thread